Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The counties in the US with the highest percentage of illegals are also the economically worst performing.
That's completely backwards. "Illegals" go where the jobs are. Sixty percent live in the 20 largest metro areas, which are also the most successful metro areas in the country. Agriculture workers live in rural areas, which do tend to be poor.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...dmetros_table/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Again, you state illegals get no free food. You know better than that so why lie?
Illegals get no free food. Some who benefit from various places that choose to feed their clientele may be illegals or the citizen children of illegals. But no one gives free food to illegals because they are illegals.

An illegal may play the lottery and win a 100 million from the states involved. That cannot be carried into saying the government give illegals hundreds of millions.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Correct, and the immigration issue isn't a job for the President, it belongs to Congress, the POTUS can not make any law or change any law it is up to the Executive Branch of the Government to enforce the laws.

So Congress has taken an issue that both Democrats and Republicans are responsible to solve and turned it into a partisan dog and pony show. They are both 100% to blame on this issue.
Somebody should have mentioned that to Obama when he created DACA via an executive order.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:42 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Somebody should have mentioned that to Obama when he created DACA via an executive order.
You have a valid point.

Well, actually you would have a valid point except that the current president has singed more executive orders than any president since Johnson, and that's comparing what...500 days as compared to 4 or 8 years.

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-28-2018 at 12:48 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We've always had people coming into this land, as even the founders of this country did. Only how we react to them has changed. A great contrast in showing this is comparing our current times vs. when the Statue of Liberty first came to and graced our shores. We had dignity and respect in previous times, and also were respected in return. The opposite is very much the case now. Many even have no respect for themselves. Humanity devalued to the level of dirt.
Hate to bring this up but the current attitudes seem to have a lot to do with the shade of the skin of the immigrant. We had a different attitude toward the "whiter" immigrants coming through Ellis Island than we do with brown skinned immigrants from the south. Plus, don't forget that many dark-skinned "immigrants" arrived here chained in the bottom of slave ships.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The politicians will never start finding the employers who hire them. They just won't. They must know that's what we want but they won't do it. Hence, the illegals who keep coming.

Of course the current residents of this country deserve help more than newcomers. But many right wing people don't even want to help the needy here. The elderly live in ugly cramped housing in many cases and the working poor live in poor conditions too. People on welfare need help getting jobs and keeping their health insurance instead of being worse off for working. The list goes on.

Our government is creating a sad situation by practically inviting all these people to try to just walk into our country without birth certificates, background checks, vaccinations, and guarantees of jobs. LEGAL immigrants are required to do all these things.

So, if the opening question is legit--of course we should help our own people first. But we don't even do that very well.
""But many right wing people don't even want to help the needy here.""

Not true! i am on the right - probably more in the middle and I believe we need to help the needy IF they can't work due to being disabled - or other issues. I feel we can over come a lot if we simply try...having said that I know some have serious problems that can never be overcome. Case by case problem.

Why do we want people coming to the USA with no real skills? How many Fast Food Workers do we need? Why not give to high school students like they did in late 60's - 70's?

Sneaking over the border is inviting problems. You are bringing diseases from Third World Countries where there is no potable water - no bathroom facilities Have you ever seen the homes sitting along the border from El Paso? It's down in the valley of El Paso and you can see the homes made out of boards and such. This is true poverty so imagine what the homes look like deep down in Guatemala - El Salvador - Honduras. You have to vet these folks and how can we do this when they are coming in by sneaking in? More than 40 percent of Guatemala’s rural dwellers do not have access to water in their homes, and even those who do often lack the most basic sanitation.

TB is on the rise in USA - do we really want people just coming in via "Open Borders?" It's not about being mean and not caring. There was a time when we needed immigrants -

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.o...island-history I always tell people to please read about Ellis Island and the USA.

California is overloaded now. Our medical community is on overload. Today migrants go to ER's for the craziest problems such as tooth aches and I know this because I was at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance and was in a cubicle waiting to be seen by doctor. An entire family comes in - bring their son who had a terrible toothache. The attending physician had a fit. They overload our waiting rooms and bring the entire family along - which is loving and endearing BUT what about the families who are there with just 2-3 people who cannot find a place to sit - to wait? My mother was always in the hospital and we could never find a place to sit. It's NOT just people from over our borders - it's other people as well who do this. Common sense folks. Don't bring small children to the waiting rooms. Let's talk about medical care. You have to take care of these folks - how many do not pay?

I think Americans have gotten weary and see there is a terrible problem. We are NOT evil people and most often do things via our churches or charitable organizations. American are struggling every day ...I understand where Trump is coming from and American people. It's time we take care of Americans.

Time for these governments to step up and take care of their people...

Old 06-28-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Hate to bring this up but the current attitudes seem to have a lot to do with the shade of the skin of the immigrant. We had a different attitude toward the "whiter" immigrants coming through Ellis Island than we do with brown skinned immigrants from the south. Plus, don't forget that many dark-skinned "immigrants" arrived here chained in the bottom of slave ships.
Not to mention our leader, who desires more Scandinavians as immigrants.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:23 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seems like the core divided issue on the immigration debate is which matters more: the needs of the people wanting to immigrate or the needs of people already living in the host nation. Which matters more? Should both be considered equally? Should only one need be the deciding factor?

If you ask the left, there is plenty of room...if you ask the right, the left thinks there is no end to your money....they just want the votes. They don't give a flip about the immigrant...just the votes. Period. Upset the balance with free loaders and we turn into France overnight.

Take away the freebies and you won't need border security...they won't come. Can't blame them...when you struggle to eat, all one has to do is go North young man...go North....and unlike the times of Horace Greely, there's three hots and a cot waiting for you....no charge....to them anyway.....take away the freebies, they stop coming, it's that simple.

Why not air drop rice and beans to them....let them fix their own country. We simply can't take the world's population on. We are now 320,000,000 people (That they can identify) and growing....3rd largest most populated country in the world...when is enough, enough?

As far as separate them from their families? No....send them back WITH their families.....there, they can stay together....in the "old country".....we're full....put up the blinking "No Vacancy" light around the Statue of Liberty....no more "teeming masses" yearning to get free stuff....

Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
If you ask the left, there is plenty of room...if you ask the right, the left thinks there is no end to your money....they just want the votes. They don't give a flip about the immigrant...just the votes. Period. Upset the balance with free loaders and we turn into France overnight.

Take away the freebies and you won't need border security...they won't come. Can't blame them...when you struggle to eat, all one has to do is go North young man...go North....and unlike the times of Horace Greely, there's three hots and a cot waiting for you....no charge....to them anyway.....take away the freebies, they stop coming, it's that simple.

Why not air drop rice and beans to them....let them fix their own country. We simply can't take the world's population on. We are now 320,000,000 people (That they can identify) and growing....3rd largest most populated country in the world...when is enough, enough?

As far as separate them from their families? No....send them back WITH their families.....there, they can stay together....in the "old country".....we're full....put up the blinking "No Vacancy" light around the Statue of Liberty....no more "teeming masses" yearning to get free stuff....
No, I'm sorry, but I'm left leaning. And I don't think there's "plenty of room"; the places where there's plenty of room for the most part are places with insufficient supplies of water...which is actually much of the West. I want to keep taxes as low as possible while still maintaining a country that leads in a wide variety of endeavors.

Take away the freebies...well, how about we use e-verify and take away the members of the right who want cheap undocumented labor?

You personally seem to have no idea what the left thinks (as if we all think same to begin with), other than what FOX News and other right-wing media tells you that we think. But if that's the way you want to operate, then I guess I'm free to think that the face of the right is what we saw in Charlottesville. That's the kind of thinking that you're using.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Discovering American history is a subject I am keen on and interested in, however Ellis Island was a far much later time than my "whiter" ancestors emigrated to America therefore I never delved into its history. One may be surprised by some of the details...I will say that from articles I have read on the matter it seems that Americans have had a love/hate relationship regarding immigrants, even those "whiter" immigrants from the days (60+ years) of Ellis Island.

Thanks for opening that crack in the door for me to peek through, sincerely.

U.S. IMMIGRATION HISTORY - Immigrants remember Ellis Island

Hernandez came to the United States through Ellis Island. Actually, he came through Ellis Island 14 times from 1935 to 1940.

Determined to become an American, he sneaked onto passenger liners bound for the United States from Havana and when he tried to escape undetected after the ships landed, he invariably got caught.

A fourth of Americans can trace their heritage through Ellis Island, but Hernandez illustrates the story of the approximately 180,000 Africans and blacks who passed through the island between 1892 and 1954 -- the year the island was shut as the entry point for all immigrants arriving in New York. Their experiences shed light on a little-known story about black life during the first half of the 20th century.

"Most people don't know there was a significant migration from the Caribbean," said Professor Irma Watkins-Owens of Fordham University.

https://www.history.com/topics/ellis-island

Ellis Island immigrants

Ellis Island was the gateway for more than 12 million immigrants who passed through its doors seeking a better future in America, from 1892 to 1954. (62 years) The rich tapestry of cultures and nationalities who entered the new world there are revealed in these timeless photos taken between 1902-1913.

American Latino Heritage - Telling All Americans' Stories

This essay explores the history of Latino immigration to the U.S. with particular emphasis on issues of citizenship and non-citizenship, political controversies over immigration policy, and the global economic context in which regional migration and immigration have occurred.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/telling...noheritage.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates