Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 03:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Make them dig holes and fill them back in again. The greatest nations in the world are those with the most holes that have been dug and filled back in. It has been proven again and again that a regimen of mindless work from sunup til sundown is the foundation of virtue. Make their wives dig the holes and fill them in, too---everybody knows that one man digging and filling holes cannot earn enough to support his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Make them dig holes and fill them back in again. The greatest nations in the world are those with the most holes that have been dug and filled back in. It has been proven again and again that a regimen of mindless work from sunup til sundown is the foundation of virtue. Make their wives dig the holes and fill them in, too---everybody knows that one man digging and filling holes cannot earn enough to support his family.
Boot the illegals out and give those on welfare the jobs that the illegals are doing now...problem solved. No need for them to just dig holes and fill them in all day. That'll also free up a bunch of money that the ILLEGALS THEMSELVES are getting in welfare. The thought of them getting handouts repulses me.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-02-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 03:31 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default true???

i have to ask this...im sure its been asked, but so many post to read..so little time, but in the question of welfare, ive heard illigals immergrants(spell) recieve welfare, id like to know....HOW????
if they dont have a SS#, cant speak english, etc etc, how do they get it??am ito understand our goverement makes a law that says...no illigals, yet slips them welfare under the table??? it wouldnt surprise me one bit, but im still shocked. ive heard they get medical, food stamps, and what shocked me most is ...social security checks, how can this be if they are not legal to be here, havent worked and paid taxes into it, etc, how can they collect SS???? i starting to have a big problem with a governement who takes from legal workers and gives it to greedy companies, now illigals who didnt contribute to the SS fund???
someone please tell me this is not true and just wild talk. still like to know how they are getten it all, just plain crazy. im assuming if its true, its done with identy theft pratices. ive heard thats where alot of the SS#'s get illigally sold to. hmmmm....last time i think that i pay bills online, and pay with cash, maybe now one less collecten off my SS#, i hope.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
i have to ask this...im sure its been asked, but so many post to read..so little time, but in the question of welfare, ive heard illigals immergrants(spell) recieve welfare, id like to know....HOW????
if they dont have a SS#, cant speak english, etc etc, how do they get it??am ito understand our goverement makes a law that says...no illigals, yet slips them welfare under the table??? it wouldnt surprise me one bit, but im still shocked. ive heard they get medical, food stamps, and what shocked me most is ...social security checks, how can this be if they are not legal to be here, havent worked and paid taxes into it, etc, how can they collect SS???? i starting to have a big problem with a governement who takes from legal workers and gives it to greedy companies, now illigals who didnt contribute to the SS fund???
someone please tell me this is not true and just wild talk. still like to know how they are getten it all, just plain crazy. im assuming if its true, its done with identy theft pratices. ive heard thats where alot of the SS#'s get illigally sold to. hmmmm....last time i think that i pay bills online, and pay with cash, maybe now one less collecten off my SS#, i hope.
They are technically ineligible. But don't let that fool you. Many steal SS numbers. They may or may not be eligible for food stamps depending on the state.

Also, their kids are entitled to free public education (including free and reduced price meals at school) and they are often provided free health care in public hospitals, etc.

I should also add that Obama says he wants make SS available to illegals (without them even having to play the system to get it).

Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, I think if you are laid off due to no fault of your own it might be nice to get unemployment. I know it sure helped me for 3 months a few years back when I got laid off. Disability is in the same boat (I know it's 'insurance'). I was on doctor ordered disability for 7 months last year and it helped me recover from a blood infection.

On the other hand, there are MANY people who abuse welfare. I see it every day, people who get food stamps, welfare and section 8 but work under the table and make more than I do. Families that shop at grocery stores and use their EBT card to purchase snack foods and sodas, then go outside and get in their giant SUV with chrome rims.

I just think there should be a lot more restrictions and more of a screening process for any type of handout.
I am torn just like you.

I work at Wal-Mart and I see it first hand.
I am amazed at the junk people buy.
I would venture that most of these people are on Medicaid...which is also tax payer funded.
If you're going to be using tax dollars to eat, there should be some provisions on what foods you can buy. Fruits and vegetables have to make up a certain percentage of your total and if you exceed the "junk food" percentage, you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. I know the government can't make you work out but at the very least if you're going to be on government funds buying food...eat healthy so we're not paying your huge medical bills too.

It would be nice if more people saved up for a raindy day. I've been guilty of saying, "Well if I'm layed off I can get on unemployment." At the same time, it's my tax dollars so why shouldn't I receive it?

I am somewhat libertarian when it comes to welfare. I think it should be abolished and tax incentives should be given in order to encourage people to give to charities. If we cut taxes on individuals, less people would be poor (IMO). People would have more money to go out and stimulate the economy...thus keeping more people employed.

I've always found it parodoxical that the middle class in a way gets punished for working hard (high taxes, high health care premiums, paying for college, etc) why some of the poor are basically rewarded. They get free groceries (EBT), free health care, free housing (section 8) and sometimes free college (in my state the income requirements for some scholarships are really low and a lot of times there is no academic requirement. Just be poor...that's it!).

Poverty and Welfare | Libertarian Party

Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Well, we've come to a pretty pass. Some of you say they should be educated out of poverty and dependency, and some of you are incensed that education is provided for them.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Well, we've come to a pretty pass. Some of you say they should be educated out of poverty and dependency, and some of you are incensed that education is provided for them.
What I'm incensed about is that they are allowed to be here in the first place.

I think we should educate those who are one of our own out of poverty and dependency....as far as illegals, we need to get rid of them. Period.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say incensed but I would like for the state/government to acknowledge that middle class families are struggling too.
My parents don't mooch off the system and because they make too much money, I wasn't eligible for a scholarship program from my state despite surpassing the GPA and ACT requirements.
I feel fourtunate to have received a scholarship through my school but had I not, my education would have been solely funded through loans. I know many people do it but it's not something I want for myself.

To simply get a scholarship JUST because you're lower income without having to prove that you're college ready? Uhm...no. Waste of money, IMO.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I wouldn't say incensed but I would like for the state/government to acknowledge that middle class families are struggling too.
My parents don't mooch off the system and because they make too much money, I wasn't eligible for a scholarship program from my state despite surpassing the GPA and ACT requirements.
I feel fourtunate to have received a scholarship through my school but had I not, my education would have been solely funded through loans. I know many people do it but it's not something I want for myself.

To simply get a scholarship JUST because you're lower income without having to prove that you're college ready? Uhm...no. Waste of money, IMO.
I actually think that Americans should be provided free higher education. Either that or we have to restore some value in high school diplomas.

I think he was referring to the illegals. I AM incensed that they or their kids are provided an education at all (or that they are even breathing our air).

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-02-2009 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post

So, now you are compounding the contradictions of the fumbling radical right posters, by acknowledging that many people are not "college ready" and not capable of being raised to a higher standard of living by education alone. They are to better themselves through an education that would be wasted on them???.

What is to be done with those people who are not intelligent enough to earn the academic credentials to enable them to raise a family in dignity?

Are you telling me that at the age of 6 or 7, people assume the degree of adult self-responsibility that if they goof off in school, they are to be held personally accountable for that shortcoming for the rest of their lives, regardless of any other goodness of heart and mind they might some day manifest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates