Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

That Texas comment was an apocryphal story and complete BS. The biggest and most successful welfare on the planet are the people that inherit and hoard great wealth and never work a day in their lives. The feudal system collapsed of its own inefficiency as did the robber barons of the late 1800’s. The same just happened to our Masters of the Universe. As we have seen the poor are somehow unworthy of welfare but the inheritors are entitled (as in holding a title to something) to what ever wealth they can get and keep including billions of dollars of ‘bailout” if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
The problem we have today is that there are over 100 people who qualify to clean the toilets and not enough toilets to clean.

During the depression of the 30's (I was born in 1931) men with college degrees were pumping gas.

Today a former Wall Street exec is delivering Pizza.

If you only have a high school degree or GED or less...guess who will be pumping gas tomorrow.

I rest my case.

Steve

Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That Texas comment was an apocryphal story and complete BS. The biggest and most successful welfare on the planet are the people that inherit and hoard great wealth and never work a day in their lives. The feudal system collapsed of its own inefficiency as did the robber barons of the late 1800’s. The same just happened to our Masters of the Universe. As we have seen the poor are somehow unworthy of welfare but the inheritors are entitled (as in holding a title to something) to what ever wealth they can get and keep including billions of dollars of ‘bailout” if necessary.
I support rethinking our corporate welfare strategy as well. (I'm assuming I was the one you were referring to)

I started this thread with the intent to discuss individuals being provided welfare.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
A corporate magnate receiving his bonus from his failed company is receiving a huge welfare check. That is an individual on welfare. paying him is acceptable because he was successful but paying a "welfare mom" is anathema because she is a failure. Apparently is it a matter of definitions, not actions.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Default It depends on the program and who receives benefits

Every worker who has paid into unemployment should receive benefits, especially today with unemployment topping 10 percent in some states. Even with unemployment people are struggling to put food on their tables and keep a roof over their heads.

As far as Welfare is concerned, I prefer a Workfare program. I would redesign the system so that everyone who receives benefits (with the exception of people who are too mentally or physically disabled to hold a job) would have to receive job training. At the end of each 40-hour week spent training, they would receive their benefits just like working people receive a paycheck. There would be a cut-off point at which they would have to transition to a job.

Oh, and I would provide free, educational childcare so they couldn't use their kids as an excuse for not working and so that they're children would be exposed to a stimulating environment.

I don't have a problem with Food Stamps being given to the working poor. It's unfortunate that some working families in the U.S. don't make enough money for food and shelter and there should be a safety net to protect them from going hungry. I do have a problem with Food Stamps being doled out to people who choose not to work. On the other hand, I wouldn't want a child to go hungry because his/her parents were too lazy to get jobs.

I don't think any benefits should be available to illegal immigrants. Why reward someone for breaking the law?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quick enough, your computer is incapable of making the font large enough to turn a politically-invented parable into the truth.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
The vast majority of those on welfare and food stamps CAN work but WON'T work.

Let em starve.

Why should I have to support an able bodied man or woman?

Forcing me to support them is no different than stealing my car or breaking into my home. If you did that and I caught you I'd blow your head off.

With welfare, the government basically forces me to submit and allow these lazy, no good scum sucking leeches rob me blind.

Don't get me wrong, we need to take care children, the elderly and the sick and handicapped. I can also see how someone can have a string of bad luck and need some help FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. It's the ones that for whom welfare is a way of life. Cut them off. If they die of starvation demanding a handout all the better. Chances are, they will realize that the gravy train is over and it's time to get a job.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default Yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Funny. And I'm wondering how the criteria can get any tighter. To go through those kinds of hoops -- and then to try to live on the almost poverty-level "benefits" -- is not exactly a bright horizon.

Alllllllllll kinds of wrong. Forced sterilization is one of those slippery slopes we just don't want to get near. Because once you start sterilizing women on welfare, who's next? Maybe women who've had x number of children, no matter how well they're provided for? Or women who let their kids ride bikes without a helmet? What happens when a woman moves off welfare, or gets married, and wants to have another child? And why sterilize women and not men? Who decides what "effort" is reasonable in trying to provide for their children?

What do you want to do? Shoot them?

That's lovely, but can our economy support all these retrained workers?

Is the guy who got laid off and receives food stamps to support his family supposed to sell his paid-off SUV just to satisfy the judgemental public?
YES!!! not long after my husband retired from military, he lost his job, i was doing daycare that didnt bring in much, area we was at had very few jobs in winter, we broke down and applied for food stamps, we was turned down for unemployent cuz my husband recieved a retirement pension whihc wasnt much,barely covered rent, we was told, by SS that if we needed food, sell off our 2nd vehical, and anything else we didnt need so that we could feed our kids, did we think it was fair after 20 yrs serving our country, payen taxes, and when we needed a bit of help got told no???? many years before that, my daddy, who lost his job after 12 yrs with same company that shut its doors, went to apply for some help, got told the same thing, sell off first, then trya gain, well,my parents did, and still got told no, i recall eaten alot of ramon noodles that year, was it fair after all they paid in taxes, no, and worse yet,....his ex wife lived in CA, with his first 2 kids, she had a collage degree, could have made big bucks in her field, but to get even with him, she sat on welfare till kids was 18, that was from time they was 5 and 7, she got welfare checks and foodstamps, but was able to make lots of money, and refused.was that fairer yet???
my granny, who worked her whole adult life, also paid her taxes, got disabled, she barely had enugh money leftover after her SS check and paid her apt rent, medicines, etc, to buy food, she applied for food stamps...wanna know what she got?? a whoppen 14 bucks in stamps a month!!!!
YET.....i personally knew a girl from highschool who got pregnant in 11 grade....she got a check each month(welfare), she got housing practically free, and foodstamps in amount of at the time, 150 mo!!!, 2 yrs later...another kid, when I asked how she was going to care for it, she said"not to worry, im on welfare!" her medical bills was covered, her kids was covered, and she was getten more in foodstamps then i made in a month worken part time. year later...no lie...she was preg again...yo guessed it...state took care of that to...her stamp amount went up agin, as well as her welfare check, and she was able to bump up to a nicer place cuz state had rule that same sex siblings cant share a room for fear of future incest, so walaa...she was doing right fine for herself,she never worked a day in her life,and had no plans to, wasnt disabled, wasnt old, just fertile...and the state took care of it all!!!!
moral of the story is, is welfare worthwhile cause, yes, if its helping people who truly need it and earned the help when they needed it, not when its going to illigals and people who refuse to work.
and in case your wondering, yes, we sold most of our stuff, and our second vehical to feed our kids, it was the RESPONSABLE thing to do, but would it have been nice to get a little help from the same gov we paid taxes into, yes, but since we was responsable, we didnt qaulify, lesson learned. So yes, i do believe if worse comes to worse, and you have kids to feed, you sell off what you have to and go without to feed your kids, its nice that the gov provides some help to some folks, but you shouldnt count on it, nor rely on it. there is jobs out there, even like one person said...scrub toliets or pick potatoes, i agree, if you need a job bad enough, something is better then nothing. ive scrubbed my fair shair of toilets in my time.
but i do not, and will never believe welfare should be abused, and people get to live off it without doing something to earn it or pay i back.
i am proud that we never did have to rely on the system, we worked thru hardtimes and managed, but it needs to be reformd to help only those that need it, not those that think its a easy way to be lazy.
and before you pipe back and say "what about the kids???" i dont want to see any child go hungrey, ive fed my fair share of kids that my kids know that didnt have much, no child should go hungrey, but no child should be allowed to stay with a parent who refuses to work and let the gov support them either. where i live, ive personally seen alot of parents on welfare...their kids need food and stuff, yet they dont get it, but i see the same parents cashen those welfare checks and stocken up on beer...and do not bother looken for work, are you still going to say thats ok??? nope, and thats why i say it should be reformed and monitored better.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
we was told... i recall eaten alot of ramon noodles ... that was from time they was 5 and 7, ...was that fairer yet???.....i personally knew a girl from highschool who got pregnant in 11 grade.... her medical bills was covered, her kids was covered, and she was getten more in foodstamps ...yo guessed it...state took care of that to...
Im sorry I don't mean to make fun but I have never seen an accent so perfectly portrayed in type form. Its excellent

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default lmao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Im sorry I don't mean to make fun but I have never seen an accent so perfectly portrayed in type form. Its excellent
I had to laugh....and let's see...to cover my southern ways...let me try to be more correct in my typing...(see...i did not say typen...lol) but I laughed just the same...i guess down here, no one notices it...and it depends on my mood...if im on a rant...its more pronounced...lmao
now i need to go get the taters...opps, i mean...potatoes, into the frypan, almost supper, i mean dinner, i mean, heck...which is it? crap....see what you started???lmao stop picken on me, im just a old fashion'd southern gal who talks funny....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates