Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times

Advertisements

i to agree there needs to be new lines drawn on welfare/handouts.
i agree, layed off folks should get help, from unemployement to food stamps, they had a job, they didnt just sit on their butts.
women haven kids right and left....restrictions needed, i lived in SD and they have a 2 yr limit for finacial aide, theyoffer free daycare and aide to go back to school, even help with a used car(repairs only i think, not sure), anyways, this is good, it deters haven kids for a check, yet helps the ones who may have been walked out on by the father(or mother) and do need the help, they work and do best they can verses octomom who spits kids out like a vending machine and collects the welfare....which as most know, great state of CA is full of welfare, they whine they(the state) is broke, yet if your a babymaken machine or a illigal emmirgren...run to CA, they will give ya all ya need....idiot state
lines need to be drawn, if your not a legal citizen....you shouldnt be allowed aide and stamps, to many of our own people are losing their jobs and fighting for this aide andget turned down or told to sell off all they own first and reapply, yet illigals jump a border and teens spit out a kid, or people claim obesity as a handicap...and they get it all, and we foot the bill, not fair.
and to the poster who noticed food stamp users buyen snack foods and driven suv;s....i soooo agree!! thats about wrong!!!! back in SD, the indians get all sorts of aide(im part indian, so dont jump me and call me predjudiced, im not), this is for all that do this...the get it all, wear nike shoes, costly sports appearal, usually overweight, more jewlrey then i canafford, buy snickers and cheetos and soda with good stamps, a week later whine that they are out of stamps for the month, going to starve, etc, yet they are overwieght!!! how can you be starven??? its not fair when i got to clip coupons, my husband works over the road and gone 6 days of the week, and some lazy butt is buyen cheetos with food stamps!!!
restrict the food stamps...id rather see them be able to buy toliet paper then a snickers bar!!!
why do us normal everyday people see the wrongs in our system, yet our own gov is blind??? im glad for the internet nowdays...and forums like this...maybe now some cheesemoe in the gov will read these and wake up and say..."the little people have a point!!!".....lol i hope!!!...now, ive got to go make PB&J sandwhichs for kids lunch boxes tomarrow, we dont get free lunches cuz we are idiots and work for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Getting the illegals out would open up a lot of manual labor jobs. Those who are on welfare and have no work skills (because they have been on welfare and it wasn't necessary) could easily do the manual labor and make an honest living. The added benefit would be all the millions our government gives the women who come here just to pop out a llittle anchor. They could all stay home as well.

That would be a twofer.
Of course, this will never be possible if Obama gets his way and grants them all citizenship.

Anyhow, I agree with this 100%. Get rid of the illegals, give the jobs to those who have no education or skills and who are on welfare now. And then we also won't have to worry about handing out benefits to the illegals. It would also help save a lot of money spent educating their kids.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, we're supposed to turn them into obedient mindless workers , so stockholders can use their children as meal tickets, and then kick them into the streets and slums when their work is no longer needed.
What's your solution....to not make anyone work for anything and let people simply live off the taxpayers from birth until death? Who will the taxpayers even be if everyone catches on?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
whioe ui want to support those that are hadnycapped;need temperary help on jb losss ;are sick etc;the goveranmnt needs to do a better job in eliminating fraud. Fraud juts hurts those taht really need help. Also conitnuiouys welfare has just passed on a lifestylre IMO that has gotten worse and worse and passed on from on egenneration to another, Children raised in these households in so many instances do worse in school and often think of school as a social gathering place. Long term welfare just really hurts the country nad increases the burden on those that work and struggle.Basically it harms socirty and often leads to problems like drug and alcohol abuse even drug trafficing and other crime.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What's your solution....to not make anyone work for anything and let people simply live off the taxpayers from birth until death? Who will the taxpayers even be if everyone catches on?
Do you have so little faith in humanity that you believe that NOBODY would work, if their basic needs were provided for? How can democracy work if it is turned over to people who all refuse to do anything to help?

I was on a bus in Malawi that got stuck in the mud on wet-season roads. All the passengers got out and pushed. It's too bad your Americans are so lazy and irresponsible that they cannot be expected to do anything to help.

I can assure you that, if every American were given what he needs, there would be plenty of takers who would do more to get what they want. I am sorely disappointed that you and your fellow Americans are so disinclined to try to better their lives. You had better hope that democracy does not work.

Why shouldn't people have to keep on working hard to have their basic needs? Because their ancestores worked so damned hard for so many generations so that their grandchildren wouldn't have to. They must be turning over in their graves, to think all their hard work was wasted. Well---not wasted. Rather, stolen by the rich, so there was none left over for the poor to enjoy any of the rest and leisure what has been worked for so hard.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-01-2009 at 04:07 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
jtur88, the way the past few posts read to me is that folk, some at least, are advocating training and education for those on welfare. I fail to see the issue with that.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Some good thoughts so far...

My personal opinion:

1. Disability criteria needs to be tightened. Someone who has a severe enough disability that they absolutely cannot work at all should be eligible for benefits. Someone who cannot work very much should be eligible for reduced benefits if they work as much as they can. If I understand correctly, there are tons of people out there on disability who shouldn't be.
Agreed,

Quote:
2. If an unmarried woman receiving any type of welfare has already had two children, she should be required to be sterilized as a condition of any additional benefits. Another option would be to simply start taking kids away if parents are making no effort to provide for them.
Agreed to an extent. I dont think its ever ok to simply take a persons children. Better to provide soup kitchens that ONLY FEED THE KIDS.

Quote:
3. Unemployment needs to be limited to relatively short periods. Ideally, I'd like to see a system where employers stop paying into a separate unemployment fund and benefits are simply provided through regular taxes.
This I dissagree strongly with. Unemployment is not welfare, at least in CT you have to work to be eligable & while right now theres extensions generally you can only collect for 26 weeks. I might support employers seeking their own unemployment insurance as they do workmans comp but I'd never put it in the hands of the gov't.

Quote:
4. Drug testing must be required as a condition of receiving ANY type of benefits.
Welfare & social aid sure, but again I wouldn't lump folks on unemployment in with welfare.

Quote:
5. There needs to be more investigation to ensure that people receiving benefits are not working under the table. If they are, they need to be punished severely.
Agreed but not just working. Any income should be automatic dismissal. Drugs, prostetution, anything.

Quote:
As far as corporate welfare and bailing out companies, that would create a lot of people who are unemployed. Long-term it may work out, but short-term it would cause a disaster. I'm not sure how to solve that.
Its not a matter of solving anything. Companies large & small fail, its the nature of things. However, if we werent taxed so much in order to fund all this crap temporay unemployment might not be the disaster it is.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Of course, this will never be possible if Obama gets his way and grants them all citizenship.

Anyhow, I agree with this 100%. Get rid of the illegals, give the jobs to those who have no education or skills and who are on welfare now. And then we also won't have to worry about handing out benefits to the illegals. It would also help save a lot of money spent educating their kids.
That's three for the price of one, you might say.

1. More unskilled labor jobs for our own who are on welfare.
2. No more anchor babies (free hospital care, free money, free education, free, free, free)
3. No more illegals.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Nothing like a discussion of welfare to bring out the tyrants disguised as conservatives. Starve the kids to punish the parents. Everybody has to work at a job to make money for the owners. Only the rich can or should buy their freedom. The rest have to work to make the rich free.

Hercules could not clean out this barn even if he diverted the Amazon.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Nothing like a discussion of welfare to bring out the tyrants disguised as conservatives. Starve the kids to punish the parents. Everybody has to work at a job to make money for the owners. Only the rich can or should buy their freedom. The rest have to work to make the rich free.

Hercules could not clean out this barn even if he diverted the Amazon.

What are you talking about?
Everybodies free in this country. But if you excercise your freedom by doing nothing I imagine thats what you deserve.
Hell, to be honest the most free people I know are those who choose to pick up cans & live under bridges, the most restricted people I know are wealthy folks so tied up in building wealth they dont have what I'd consider a life. I'm very content to be in the middle & simply work for a living and have a life as well.

On the road where we are headed everyone who work will work twice as hard for half as much so we can feed the useless.
Another way we defy nature & evolution. In nature when something is too stupid to feed itself it dies, in nature when an environment cant support a population any more that population moves on, or it dies. Its called natural selection & it works wonderfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates