Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Thats a good question, but the problem in my opinion is that companies in the past felt like they had a responsibility to there employees and comunnities it wasn't always about the bottom line(profit) like today.

My Question to you isnt that profit is bad, but how much profit do ppl need to finally say ok were content? Even when the profit is made at others expence? Because the corporations are making four times more now then in our grandparents generation(opp.)
How much money does each Walmart tend to contribute towards local charities and causes?
I would say that they do a reasonable amount of community service?

http://foundation.walmart.com/apply-for-grants

"In 2012, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $1 billion in cash and in-kind contributions around the world. This includes $1 billion in cash and in-kind gifts in the United States and $82.2 million in cash and in-kind gifts in international markets. In addition, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics associates volunteered more than 2.2 million hours, generating $18 million to U.S. nonprofits."

Compare the size of Walmart compared to a small mom-pop store and base that profit on a per employee basis. It is all relative. Again, who decides what "enough profit" is?

Last edited by mdand3boys; 08-01-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I suggest you google walmart warehouse worker pay or similar terms.
It ranges from $16-$18+ an hour plus they get benefits, plus they get quarterly bonus pay.
Their own website claims* their full-time workers average $12.67/hr. But there have been many news articles this year about how they are reducing individual work schedules below 30 hours a week, in anticipation of, and to avoid the implementation of the Affordable Health Care act.

Quote:
*Other groups maintain that Walmart's estimate of average worker pay is far lower. OUR Walmart, a small group of current and former employees backed by the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, told The Huffington Post in a statement that workers are paid about $9 on average.

Walmart's Average Employee Would Have To Work 785 Years To Earn CEO's Annual Salary: Analysis [UPDATES]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Besides, who gets to decide when a company makes too much money? You? Your neighbor?
Do you want others telling you that you make too much money?
But as a taxpayer it is costing YOU money because their business model depends on public assistance providing a part of the livelihood of a significant number of their employees. Think about that. You don't have to buy anything from Walmart, you don't even have to step inside their store but you've still got money coming out of your pocket to support their investor-selfish business model.

Doesn't that make you mad? It sure makes me mad.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times
Ya but do you think they would of donatted that money if they couldn't get a tax write off for it? So basically only doing whats right if you profit from it? If they are so interestted in giving away millions etc then why not just pay your employees a liveable wage.

Sorry don't mean to come across with this holier then thou attitude, but i was raised to believe like most older generations believe, doing what is right means sometimes doing it even when it doesn't ben me.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,869 times
Doesn't make me mad any more than the mom-pop store that pays their employees $7.25hr, offers no sick or vacation time, has no insurance benefits at all because they are exempt under Hawaii law, has no profit sharing bonus, no 401k with matching up to 6%, employee stock ownership plan...

And no, I don't work for Walmart nor do I own stock in them right now, but I used to own it - should have held it longer...

OpenD - NO ONE is FORCING ANY employee to work for Walmart. They are all CHOOSING to work there and Walmart pays above minimum wage in Hawaii. Besides, maybe not ALL people want a full-time job at Walmart?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 AM

Here would be an interesting first for Hawai'i if it passes, what do u guys think?

Will Hawaii Be the First All-Metric State? | More Than A Mile Behind: America and the Metric System

Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,397,136 times
Quote:
Is Hawaii'i the most liberal state in the country? And what makes it so liberal? Interesting info for someone who wants to transplant(move)
Usually, whether Hawaii is liberal never factors into a decision whether or not to move there, at least among healthy minds.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 AM

Ok i have a confession to make the reason i startted this thread wasn't really to discuss Hawai'i politics. But to kind of help ppl see something deeper then whats on the surface. Take for example, all the things that Hawai'i has been ahead of or has done first from the rest of the country and ask yourself. Is Hawai'i like other states in thinking etc? And would u say unique? Remember this is the youngest state and it leads the nation on alot of different fronts. Uniqe yes. And there are other firsts not listted on here.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Aloha,Did u know that Hawai'i was the first state to elect the first American Samoan, first Hindu member and one of the first female combat veterans in the United States Congress. Her Name isTulsi Gabbard.

Tulsi Gabbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 AM

44 posts, read 64,591 times
Quote:
Aloha,Did u know that Hawai'i was the first state to elect the first American Samoan, first Hindu member and one of the first female combat veterans in the United States Congress. Her Name isTulsi Gabbard.

Tulsi Gabbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sounds like this woman puts on two faces:

Tulsi Gabbard has Committed a "Felony in Office" - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 08-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyengineer View Post
Never said she was a good politician, that wasn't the point. I was that she was the first in the country etc etc.

Your link is broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii