Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 09:12 AM

451 posts, read 411,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
7500000000 is that not 7.5 billion? 8 zeroes. .1 is 10 percent. .01 is 1 percent. .001 is .1 percent.

7500000000 X .001 equals 7,500,000.
I am sorry. Please accept my apology. You are absolutely correct.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I was wrong about that - stay at home for Oahu extended to May 31
That's overly cautious, IMO.

Hawaii could do something like Alaska is doing: Open up a few things with social distancing and re assess after two weeks. That way the state could potentially be ready to open some tourism in June.

It will be impossible to keep the virus entirely out of the islands unless you want to kill tourism until a vaccine is developed. That would give no guarantees either.

As Alaska governor said, "We expected hundreds of thousands of Alaskans to get infected. That may still happen." Currently number is around 330.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
That's overly cautious, IMO.

Hawaii could do something like Alaska is doing: Open up a few things with social distancing and re assess after two weeks. That way the state could potentially be ready to open some tourism in June.

It will be impossible to keep the virus entirely out of the islands unless you want to kill tourism until a vaccine is developed. That would give no guarantees either.

As Alaska governor said, "We expected hundreds of thousands of Alaskans to get infected. That may still happen." Currently number is around 330.

What is the plan for you guys in AK in the next couple of months when your tourist season will/would start? I presume the cruise ships have stopped coming which really hurts those small SE AK towns. What about salmon season and all those processing plants spread around remote locations in the the state, like Cordova and Bristol Bay? I am curious how the state and companies are going to mitigate transmission considering the medical infrastucture is smaller than here in Hawaii and far more geographically separated. In some ways, AK and HI have some similarities

Old 04-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
What is the plan for you guys in AK in the next couple of months when your tourist season will/would start? I presume the cruise ships have stopped coming which really hurts those small SE AK towns. What about salmon season and all those processing plants spread around remote locations in the the state, like Cordova and Bristol Bay? I am curious how the state and companies are going to mitigate transmission considering the medical infrastucture is smaller than here in Hawaii and far more geographically separated. In some ways, AK and HI have some similarities
Sorry, lost the signal midstream of writing.

... In some ways AK and HI have some similarities, and it would be interesting to know what efforts are being put in place in Alaska that we here in HI can learn to incorporate. I am really curious about
those fish processing plants as those areas are generally remote and will suddeningly see an influx of large (relatively) numbers of people. If correct, I think that begins in only about two or three weeks in the Cordova area. Plus isn't there a herring fishery going on in the Togiak area now?

Old 04-25-2020, 10:17 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Also interested to hear. A friend in Washington said recently her boyfriend was planning to head north, as every year, in his commercial fishing boat for fishing season ... but he was expecting to quarantine 14 days on arrival. I asked details because I had not heard of this requirement. (One of my sons has fished Alaska as well.). She said she didn’t know anything further to explain yet. It may have been a miscommunication ... but got me wondering.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:19 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Right, they do have similarities. Cruise ships are basically shut down for the season. There may be some of the smaller, boutique cruises coming later in the summer.

The concern regarding seasonal fishing crews is significant. I believe there are some plans being developed for the purpose of limiting potential spread of the virus within these groups.

Border with Canada is closed for the time being, so no motor homes rumbling through. Ferry service is pretty much non existent.

That leaves air travel. Alaska airlines flight schedules have been skeletonized through May, with full service schedule appearing to be in place for June and beyond. Currently there is a 14 day quarantine for incoming air travelers that could be expiring on May 19. Deplaning passengers are offered a temperature check and must sign a form stating they will quarantine. I don't believe there's any follow up on it though, as seen recently in Hawaii with police arresting scofflaws.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Right, they do have similarities. Cruise ships are basically shut down for the season. There may be some of the smaller, boutique cruises coming later in the summer.

The concern regarding seasonal fishing crews is significant. I believe there are some plans being developed for the purpose of limiting potential spread of the virus within these groups.

Border with Canada is closed for the time being, so no motor homes rumbling through. Ferry service is pretty much non existent.

That leaves air travel. Alaska airlines flight schedules have been skeletonized through May, with full service schedule appearing to be in place for June and beyond. Currently there is a 14 day quarantine for incoming air travelers that could be expiring on May 19. Deplaning passengers are offered a temperature check and must sign a form stating they will quarantine. I don't believe there's any follow up on it though, as seen recently in Hawaii with police arresting scofflaws.

Thanks for the update on your situ. It is interesting to hear/learn.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Stay at home and quarantine extended to May 31

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...cent-policies/

Old 04-25-2020, 06:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Stay at home and quarantine extended to May 31

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...cent-policies/
Nice that beaches are reopened for exercise. Unfortunately, we are still not allowed to sit on them.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:12 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
This person (Tulemutt) is the product of the state without any independent thought.
Was just thinking about this again a minute. Wondering which state is being referred to? Minnesota? Or Michigan? Born and raised in the upper mid-west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii