Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Diabetes and obesity, stan.
You need to read more studies. Artificial sweeteners have been linked to obesity.

Besides, I am not saying you should eat as much natural sugar as you want.

The problem is that people want too much sweet stuff so they HAVE to ditch the cane sugar in favor of the artificial crap so they don't get nailed with the calories.

The CORRECT answer is to only consume natural sugar and IN SMALL AMOUNTS.

Soda is not for every day. It's a once in a while treat. Not part of this delicious breakfast.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
They also need the sugar to hold them together. That sure sounds good.
The recipe called for using brown sugar, so what I did was to mix a cup of Splenda with molasses, which was the main source of sugar. I also rolled the cookies in cinammon sugar before baking.

Very good. I've eaten all of them. Talk about carb overload, just from the flour alone! Plus a full stick of butter, I definitely got my RDA of saturated fat.

Delicious though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You need to read more studies. Artificial sweeteners have been linked to obesity.

Besides, I am not saying you should eat as much natural sugar as you want.

The problem is that people want too much sweet stuff so they HAVE to ditch the cane sugar in favor of the artificial crap so they don't get nailed with the calories.

The CORRECT answer is to only consume natural sugar and IN SMALL AMOUNTS.

Soda is not for every day. It's a once in a while treat. Not part of this delicious breakfast.
Everything's been linked to something, Stan. There are people out there who believe that carrots or garlic are toxic, and other people who believe that lots of pork lard or tobacco are good for your health. They can all point to little studies to back up what they say.

When I see a result has been replicated several times in different studies around the world, that's when I start paying attention and altering my ways.

I like sweet coffee in the morning. I'm diabetic, so in order to sweeten it without raising my glucose too much I use Splenda. I rarely drink soda, mainly caffeinated to stay alert if I'm on a long drive.

Other people drink lots of soda. That's part of what makes life good for them. In my opinion, IF that's what you're going to do, artificial sweeteners are less toxic and disruptive to the metabolism than real sugar, and certainly have fewer calories.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
That part right there is the only thing I'll address in the post: artificial sweeteners have been linked to people making really lousy choices in their eating habits. And lousy eating habits has been linked to obesity.

That doesn't mean that artificial sweeteners cause obesity. It just means it causes *some* people to blame artificial sweeteners for their own choices to eat fattening foods.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That part right there is the only thing I'll address in the post: artificial sweeteners have been linked to people making really lousy choices in their eating habits. And lousy eating habits has been linked to obesity.

That doesn't mean that artificial sweeteners cause obesity. It just means it causes *some* people to blame artificial sweeteners for their own choices to eat fattening foods.

And people who want to lose or control their weight tend to be the ones who use artificial sweeteners.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I always wonder about those artificial sweeteners/obesity studies too. I know people who drink diet pop and then eat dessert, maybe thinking, well at least I've saved the calories on my beverage. I only have maybe 1 or 2 soft drinks a month, but when I do they're diet because my family started drinking Tab (yuck!) in the 70's and when you're not used to pop with sugar it's disgustingly syrupy and sweet.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:

Exactly. The studies show correlation, not causation.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM

34 posts, read 53,400 times
Originally Posted by AnonChick

That doesn't mean that artificial sweeteners cause obesity. It just means it causes *some* people to blame artificial sweeteners for their own choices to eat fattening

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUR WRONG, ASPARTAME MAKES YOU CRAVE CARBS; YOU NEVER LOSE WEIGHT; I know; I look at friends that drink Deit pop; they just keep getting fatter;

Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Sure, jacelo, whatever.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:

They have been shown to negatively influence the balance of insulin and leptin.

An analysis of the medical literature on this topic was recently reported in the June 2010 issue of the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, with a number of interesting findings about artificial sweeteners and weight.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM

34 posts, read 53,400 times
Quote:
They have been shown to negatively influence the balance of insulin and leptin.

An analysis of the medical literature on this topic was recently reported in the June 2010 issue of the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, with a number of interesting findings about artificial sweeteners and weight.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Your on the right tract; IF you read things that pretain to sugar subs, you'll find out that those things are bad for you, -or- anyone that eats them;
There is a couple of subs. that are good for diabetics;
I can eat 2; They DON'T have ASPARTAME;---Jacel0---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness