Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have chronic constipation. Will Metamucil work? How much daily? Time of day.
Did you read the thread? Tons of ideas. Only you will know if it works for you or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have chronic constipation. Will Metamucil work? How much daily? Time of day.
Don't know until you try. There is a lot of info here too.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 AM

175 posts, read 846,858 times
I read it all. No answers to my question?

Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
I haven't read the the whole thread and if this was mentioned forgive me. If it has, I will second the rec.

400mg of Magnesium a day with plenty of water. There are various forms of it and it's cheap and easy to get.

It's something a lot of us don't get enough of anyway. I've been taking it for years.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times
I am just reading this discussion, since I am having a problem with constipation for the past few months. My doctor prescribed col-q-lace and miralax, but I have been slow to take the meds. Although I have taken some over-the-counter meds such as senna and psyllium. And have taken the col-q-lace sometimes. I still go only maybe once every three days. I may keep a journal as to what I'm eating and taking, perhaps that will enlighten me. But the constipation came on suddenly. I am 74 and not active because of a leg injury. I am usually tired with too much to do in the house, so that is depressing as well, and slows me down.
Today I started my day with about 6 ounces of warm prune juice with lemon. I wonder if the lemon helps or inhibits.
Thanks to all you people for writing down your experiences!

Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I haven't read the the whole thread and if this was mentioned forgive me. If it has, I will second the rec.

400mg of Magnesium a day with plenty of water. There are various forms of it and it's cheap and easy to get.

It's something a lot of us don't get enough of anyway. I've been taking it for years.
Just beginning to read the thread as well, but I've been reading about magnesium, and see that it has different types in pill form. any thoughts? Thanks for reminder about magnesium, I'll pick up some as soon as I can figure which kind (not brand) to buy.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Just beginning to read the thread as well, but I've been reading about magnesium, and see that it has different types in pill form. any thoughts? Thanks for reminder about magnesium, I'll pick up some as soon as I can figure which kind (not brand) to buy.
The Magnesium as a supplement differs in the binder they use. This also affects the absorption. From what I've read Magnesium Citrate is one of the best. They use citric acid to bind it. I was buying it for a while but in order to get the amount you need you need a huge pill, a 200mg tablet is huge, so to get the 400mg recommended you need two of them.

Here is what I bought in the past.
https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Magnesium.../dp/B000BV1O26

They sell it in a powder form which I also bought and still have. You mix it with water and drink. The taste is not unpleasant. It tastes kind of well, citrusy (not a word). Some people don't like it. It's sour and I like sour.

Ionic magnesium is supposedly the best absorbed. It is in liquid form. I've yet to try it but I think I will soon. I've just been buying the cheap stuff at Walmart, the magnesium oxide. It's the same magnesium and it does the job and the pills are not huge.

Here's an example of the Ionic
https://www.amazon.com/Trace-Mineral...000OLR1KC?th=1

The dosing for the liquid is what I'm not sure about. Is it by the drop or teaspoon?

There was a thread on it a while back, I think in the supplements forum.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

One can even work with 400mg a couple times a day. Even add 1K or more of Vit C to the body. That should loosen things up. Then learn how to work with mag and Vit C for your body. Drink a lot of water thru the day....don't dry out.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have a post in Alt Med on the forms of magnesium. Or you can google that for yourself...forms of magnesium.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 AM

175 posts, read 846,858 times
Mineral Oil works for me. One T. at bedtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness