Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times

Advertisements

Beans and prunes the magical fruit,
the more you eat the more you poop,
The more you poop the better you feel,
Eat your beans and prunes these very days,
And you'll love to enjoy your happy ways.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So I have had bad constipation for the last three months now about and the doctor put me on three different medications so far.

The first was restorelax, which literally had no effect on me at all. The second was metamucil which got rid of about half of it, per day, but not all.

The third was senokot which does a much better job, but I have to go 2-3 times a day with it, when normally, before the constipation problem, I would just go once a day.

I am taking Senokot-S, which has a a stool softener in, hence the S. But senokot causes me to go in little pieces here and there throughout the day, rather than in one big go, like I would normally go before. If I bought regular Senokot without the S (stool softener), would that likely help and I would go in little bits at a time?
Take Psyllum Husks daily and drink lots of water.

My mom has constipation issues and takes 6 Psyllium Husk capsules a day (she buy's her's from Whole Foods)

She also uses Fleet Glycerin Suppositories.

This completely resolves her constipation issues.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
(Disclaimer: Not medical advice)

Eat about 3-4 dates daily for fiber and minerals and to satisfy your sweet tooth, whole grain (not whole wheat) breads, and high fiber fruits like apples. Bananas are not good if you have constipation.

( I can't recommend any salad or veggies because I don't eat them, but I hear they're good for you)

Avoid eating large amounts of preserved or red meat, chicken, or pork (more than 4-6 oz per meal).

In the morning, have a large 12-16 oz glass of ice water. The shock of cold water sometimes starts peristalsis several minutes later, producing the desired end result.

Strengthen your lower abs with various exercises to tighter your abdominal wall and prevent distension of the gut area.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Oh okay thanks, I normally eat one banana a day so I can quit that.

I was told not to take metamucil cause it has a bulking agent which is why I went to Senakot instead. However, isn't a bulking agent a good thing, since it puts all the pieces of poop together, for one big dump hopefully, compared to several small little ones, that are not as effective?

Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

I was told not to take metamucil cause it has a bulking agent which is why I went to Senakot instead. However, isn't a bulking agent a good thing, since it puts all the pieces of poop together, for one big dump hopefully, compared to several small little ones, that are not as effective?
Metamucil can be a treatment for diarrhea too, so it may not be the right option for you. If your doctor told you no, I would follow his instructions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 AM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
Ever hear of Laci Le Beau Dieter's Tea? Back before I was not eating as much fiber I would use this if I went two days without a BM.

Drink a cup of this tea a couple hours after your last meal of the day. Be prepared for 1-3 movements the next morning and afternoon.

This is really only a short term solution to getting your bowels "trained." I am fortunate to have 1 a day before leaving for work about 95% of the time. It's all just finding the right diet.

It's fine to take soluble fiber supplements if you aren't getting results from food, but they can take a few days to work. That's why I recommend using a natural dieter's tea, which usually works overnight.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:

Many are happy to have a BM once a day, but I am told that you should go to the bathroom approximately 3 times a day (after each meal) which is considered optimal. If the point is to not be constipated, I don't know how having 3 movements a day could be considered 'not as effective".

Herbals do work for you. You said Senekot worked for you. Senna tea would work for you to.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:45 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
Be careful with the fiber! I was told years ago fiber,, lots of water would help, and it just backed me up terribly. I do better with a little fiber.

Try Dr. Sculze's Intestinal Formula 1, or Constipend (with mag oxide). Limit a lot of bulk-forming foods until you are able to have a few good movements.

As some have mentiioned, take magnesium supplemnents and vitamin c every day if you can.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Need more fiber in your diet and try drinking a gallon of water daily

Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:

Coffee can make you go more often. I would look for high fiber premium breads in the grocery store. Bran cereal will also help.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.822d91e8edfd

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...-constipation/

I would've assumed you would've tried all this and other things, such as drinking water and exercising more, and that's why the doctor is recommending prescription medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness