Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah I think I drink lots of water, and eat fiber. My diet is pretty good I think but since I started dieting better, that has been what has causing the problem perhaps. I ate ice cream a weak ago, and pigged out at my sister's birthday party, and then the next day, I took a really big dump.

So I feel it's the healthy eating that has been causing the lack of waste produce. Perhaps I don't have as much waste to produce compared to before? But that's just a guess.
It sounds to me like you digestive system is off balance. Mine gets that way anytime I have to take antibiotics, and a diet change might be enough to throw yours off. The medicines you're using are treating the symtoms....but not curing the problem.

Simplistically....You have to have both the good and the bad bacteria in your system, and if they get off balance you can experience symptoms like you describe.

Go to a health food store and buy organic Kifer.....it is full of live and active probiotic cultures. Read the bottle/carton....I'm currently doing this following a outpatient surgery and some real strong antibiotics, and my dentist recommended that I try kefir.....rather than my normal over the counter floragen3. I am drinking a cup a day of Lifeway organic kefir, but there are many brands, and it is available in dairy or non-dairy.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...efits-of-kefir

I also like kim chee, or simple cold sauer kraut as other probiotic foods.

Also, some real good information is provided in the links below.....and many more online searching for "how to have a healthy digestive system"

Your Body's Second Brain - The Importance of Gut Health

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diges...estive-health/

https://newfrontiersmarket.com/the-i...lthy-digestion

https://www.kelloggs.com.au/content/...ve-balance.pdf

Last edited by JanND; 06-06-2018 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Ironpony, are you on any other meds? My daughter just went through months of agony and pain dealing with a similar problem, doctors couldn't figure it out. She is extremely healthy, fit, cooks all natural with tons of high fiber vegetables, etc.

Turns out it was the newly prescribed Metformin. Her other doctors said she didn't even need it, so she's off of it and everything is back to normal.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Prunes get my vote too.
We used them for our kid when he was an infant/ toddler.
LOL, I recall trying to get my daughter to eat prunes when she got constipated as a toddler. Well, Ms. suspicious wasn't having any, but she refused to eat most things at that point anyway. Sometimes I could get her to try something if I ate some first and told her how yummy it was, so I tried it with the prunes. Well, I figured I would just eat one as I had no issues with constipation myself and didn't want to uh..... go overboard, but my daughter refused to even try one prune. So I ate another, then another, telling her how yummy they were. Well, after about five prunes, I figured that was about all I could do. She never did try them, but guess who got the runs later that day?????:

Old 06-06-2018, 08:30 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
OP, are you getting any exercise? How far do you walk daily?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Oh okay, I thought bulking agents would be good, since the stools keep coming out in little pieces if I take remedies for it. A bulking agent would put all those pieces of stool together, and it will come out in large pieces all at once, hopefully.

Or if bulking agents are bad, am I taking any perhaps, are you saying?
To clarify, many people can rely successfully on bulking agents, just not everyone. Gluing pellets together is not a solution. (Google "sh*t knife) Decreasing retention time and maintaining more water in the stools is. Laxatives like senna stimulate to reduce retention time, magnesium does a few things, but in large doses affects the osmotic pressures to decrease the ability of the gut to absorb water.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
Ask your Dr. About castor oil or mineral oil. You get used to the taste and helps to soften stool and adds "slip" to the whole process.

It is cheap and effective, but ask your Dr. Before trying anything beyond water and more healthful foods.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
cut out white starches, Make Prune juice the drink of choice, Make sure you eat leafy green veggies.

The Mrs is very fond of "Plum Light" juice. If all else fails, Keep a jar of Vaseline and q tips handy. Make sure you see a doctor for it, the last thing you want is anal fissures.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM

1,353 posts, read 789,796 times
Quote:
Yeah I think I drink lots of water, and eat fiber. My diet is pretty good I think but since I started dieting better, that has been what has causing the problem perhaps. I ate ice cream a weak ago, and pigged out at my sister's birthday party, and then the next day, I took a really big dump.

So I feel it's the healthy eating that has been causing the lack of waste produce. Perhaps I don't have as much waste to produce compared to before? But that's just a guess.
Healthy eating assumes you get enough fiber.
If you do not, add Psyllium powder (buy in bulk, it is much cheaper). It is pure fiber, no additives.
Put it in a cup of water, and drink.
You may need just one teaspoon a day, if not, try 2 or 3.
Other stuff will help also: prunes, brown bread, red beats, etc.
You should adjust the quantity according to your needs.
BTW, yoga teaches you have to go to the bathroom after every meal, not once a day.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Hopefully you and your doctor are investigating WHY you are constipated.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
My wife takes Konsyl daily which has 6 grams of fiber physilum,been on it for many,many years with no problems.We get it from Walmart,laxative is not the answer.Without it she would get bound up like a rock.
My spelling is probably wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness