Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 05:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't believe I ever say NEVER but one has to have a strong positive belief that they won't and feel strong about what they do for themselves and their path to prevention. I got good words back in 1995 and those words have stuck with me on the antioxidants and cancer prevention.

I've been posting my words on this but not enough I guess. Wish some doctors posted my words. Maybe others would believe them.
Hmmm, and what does it tell you that "doctors aren't posting your words"????

Maybe a little self reflection might be beneficial here.....like maybe "your words" (and ideas) aren't shared by many who actually treat patients and don't just believe whatever they find on the web that provides confirmation bias for their ideas and "words"

By the way, in 1995 many doctors did routinely recommend antioxidants for "cancer prevention"..

That was 25 years ago and all the research that has followed has not supported that idea, in fact, antioxidants may actually PROMOTE certain cancers to grow...

Antioxidants are NOT a substitute for cancer screening....never were....never will be....

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...nts-fact-sheet

And before you go there....no it doesn't mean antioxidants have WORKED for you....that is unknowable since it is more likely than not that had you never heard of GSE you still would be cancer free to this day...

You won the cancer/genetics lottery to this point....

Others who might follow your advice may wish they had actually followed through on recommended screening if they aren't so fortunate....

Old 08-30-2019, 05:37 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Pretty sure, as with Jamin, I have pretty much aged out of all these screenings; and not because all my testing has been negative.

Medicare? lol Never hear from them at all. Fine with me. They don't send that yearly Medicare and You book probably because I have never submitted a claim to them. My husband finds this shocking that I don't receive anything from Medicare. Well, if you have never used it, why would they send you anything? Blank pages? When they changed from your Social Security number, I wasn't sent a new number and card.

I have never in my entire life had a Primary Care Physician, including in my younger years; only a OB/GYN and stopped seeing one of those in my 30's when I didn't need to take BC pills, or having babies, any longer.

Life long for me. Nothing I just decided in my old age. We DO exist.
Are you enrolled in Medicare A and B?

Actually, I think these days I think Medicare is sending very few, if any paper copies of the annual Medicare and You book. Their instructions are to download the book from their site if you want it, or you can request they send you a paper copy.

If you're enrolled in Medicare, it'd probably be a good idea to get a new Medicare number, though, even if you never intend to use it. If in the event you ever found yourself in dire straights, medically, and wanted to seek treatment, it might be a problem to have a seriously outdated number. Just sayin'......

Old 08-30-2019, 05:57 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
[quote=guidoLaMoto;56063360]Excellent post. The self-fulfilling prophesy. They wouldn't be bragging if they had gotten sick, and all the research shows that cancer is 95% chance -- the other 5% is life-style &/or genetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I'm in my 30s but don't do cervical cancer screening/pap smears because I find it too stressful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...r-7577967.html

quote]

The author of that article has very poor judgement and little ability to analyze and use statistical evidence. The fact is, death rate from cervical cancer dropped precipitously after the development of the Pap Smear. Cervical ca is close to 100% curable when found by routine screening and death rate very high when diagnosis is delayed until the pt is symptomatic. Prior to Pap smear, cervical cancer was the leading cause of death due to malignancy in women.

She's right about one point: there's a fairly high rate of "false positives." But that's good for a screening test. If cancer was found on every positive test, that would mean you're missing a lot of false negative cases.

Pap smear fits the definition of "screening test" perfectly-- a test that is inexpensive, easy to do and has a high rate of finding a common disease.

Colonoscopy is another problem. OTOH- finding a malignant polyp early virtually cures the pt and warms that more frequent surveying is necessary, BUT- colonoscopy is not cheap (~$5Gs when all is said and done) and not particularly easy with significant risk of side effects in older folks (from the prep). ... The total cost of all the colonoscopies that have to be done tp prevent one large colon mass requiring surgery is more than the cost of that surgery. This is a case where it doesn't make sense from the public health standpoint, but does from the personal care POV.
I think consideration of the costs and possible harm outweighing benefits to older people with colonoscopies (including preps) are the reasons that other tests (such as fecal occult blood, Cologuard testing, barium enemas, flexible sigmoidoscopies) are also listed as colon cancer screening methods by the USPSTF.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Quote:
I don't do holistic, non-traditional medicine myself. Have said that many, many times. However, if that floats your boat, it is fine with me. We agree on non-traditional medicine, which include NO medicine if that is what we choose. We are in agreement that modern, preventative medicine is purely a money making deal.

Everyone over a certain age must get this or that test. What is the percentage of all people tested versus those who actually have those diseases? VERY SMALL. Yet, all these tests have to be paid for. What percentage of all women getting a mammogram will have breast cancer? What percentage of all people getting colonoscrophies will have polps or cancer? It is not a given that all ever will.
I’m not sure why you quoted my post as I don’t see what your reply has to do with it.

In any case, I completely support each person screening or not screening, testing or not testing, treating or not treating. I couldn’t care less what you decide for yourself.

My post refers to anyone (in this particular case, a frequent poster who never passes on an opportunity to run her agenda whether it’s relevant or not.) who is fanatic about anything to the point it’s all they can talk about.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
I'm still not going for pap smears. I hate them to the point of feeling a bit traumatised afterwards.
I guess they don't bother me, as I'm a veteran of 12 or more IVF procedures. So I'm used to having my legs apart and all that. A pap is nothing to me, I don't even care if it's a male doctor.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I guess they don't bother me, as I'm a veteran of 12 or more IVF procedures. So I'm used to having my legs apart and all that. A pap is nothing to me, I don't even care if it's a male doctor.
I'm a child sexual abuse survivor. Far too triggering to be in that situation, no way I'd ever have a male doctor. Wish I could be unconcerned about it but it sends me into a negative spiral. So I figured it's healthier for me not to do it.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Hmmm, and what does it tell you that "doctors aren't posting your words"????

Maybe a little self reflection might be beneficial here.....like maybe "your words" (and ideas) aren't shared by many who actually treat patients and don't just believe whatever they find on the web that provides confirmation bias for their ideas and "words"

By the way, in 1995 many doctors did routinely recommend antioxidants for "cancer prevention"..

That was 25 years ago and all the research that has followed has not supported that idea, in fact, antioxidants may actually PROMOTE certain cancers to grow...

Antioxidants are NOT a substitute for cancer screening....never were....never will be....

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...nts-fact-sheet

And before you go there....no it doesn't mean antioxidants have WORKED for you....that is unknowable since it is more likely than not that had you never heard of GSE you still would be cancer free to this day...

You won the cancer/genetics lottery to this point....

Others who might follow your advice may wish they had actually followed through on recommended screening if they aren't so fortunate....
Oh that's when a panel of docs and researchers at a lecture on Pycnogenol coming into the U.S. told us this antioxidant may prevent cancer, and that's when it all started for me so it's going on 25 yrs....thanks. Too bad they quit telling patients that advice.

There is so much info in the 25 yrs on antioxidants preventing cancers. Cancers are needed to keep the docs and pharma in business.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Has anyone here decided to stop screening tests if symptom-free? Especially posters "of a certain age"?
66 and doing plenty, but not invasive.......

Use cologuard and other such things for checking for cancer, ulcers, etc.

Get blood screened once or twice a year for kidney function and other basics.

I do not do PSA or anything like that....since it's proven to not help (look it up)....

I do skin screening every 3-4 years.

That's about it.....

Old 08-30-2019, 07:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
I'm a child sexual abuse survivor. Far too triggering to be in that situation, no way I'd ever have a male doctor. Wish I could be unconcerned about it but it sends me into a negative spiral. So I figured it's healthier for me not to do it.
After a certain age, cervical cancer is not a huge risk anyway. Unless someone has HPV, there may be no real reason to get regular screening. I refused to have one done when I was early in pregnancy because I'd read too many stories about women having a miscarriage after getting a pap smear done in the early weeks of pregnancy; I found out there are no medical studies showing it's safe to have a pap smear when pregnant. So I refused and my ob did not push the issue any further.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Everyone over a certain age must get this or that test. What is the percentage of all people tested versus those who actually have those diseases? VERY SMALL. Yet, all these tests have to be paid for. What percentage of all women getting a mammogram will have breast cancer? What percentage of all people getting colonoscrophies will have polps or cancer? It is not a given that all ever will.
So you don't insure your home because there's not a 100% chance it'll burn down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness