Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 10:14 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

My self imposed social distancing started a week ago, and now my work has decided to close to the public for at least 6 weeks. We still have work to do and much of mine is over the phone anyway. We also have a great space to work in since much of it is for public use, and with no public it's just a few people working in different parts of the building. I already told my friends what I'm doing so no more movies or restaurants or outings for awhile. Thankfully I'm a happy loner!

I'll shop at a 24 hr grocery store after 10pm once or twice a week to pick up things for my household and for my 90 yr old parents who live nearby. They don't drive and are used to being housebound because neither can walk too well without a walker but they get around their small house and back yard just fine. They have always lived as if another depression could hit at any time and have a well stocked pantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 03:09 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
We (wife, 67, me 76) are in self-imposed isolation in Copenhagen for at least 2 weeks. We are in day 4, now. My wife is fearful, while I am watching the statistics, somewhat stoically. The best thing for us is that we have focused on treating each other in a "friendly" and respectful manner and are trying to maintain attitudes of gratefulness. We do not have COVID-19 symptoms or any underlying health conditions. I am back to my rowing machine, after quite a spell of non-use. It helps me to keep a positive attitude, as I set new goals every day of how far and how long I will row.

I long to go outside!

Old 03-15-2020, 07:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'll shop at a 24 hr grocery store after 10pm once or twice a week to pick up things for my household and for my 90 yr old parents who live nearby.
Thanks for the input. Well, as you know, now - those very stores have reduced their hours!!

Old 03-15-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Sneezes travel 100 mph. Coughs travel 50 mph.
I hope you can run fast. Oh, and don't forget to hold your breathe.
Holding my breath is my forte!!!!

Old 03-15-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I've been in my PJ's since Monday.
Wife has been taking out the garbage. She's afraid that I will bolt, if I take out the trash.
OMG, that's funnnnnnny!!
and

Old 03-15-2020, 07:22 AM

7,938 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Self employed physical therapist with contracts with local school and home care. The school is closed at least for a few days due to possible infection of staff member. Waiting on results. School is preparing for shutting down for weeks or months possibly. Home care patients, hearing this news, have cancelled their visits.

So no money will be coming in. Trying to figure out plans to make some money/work to minimize effect on emergency fund.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
My workplace just required everyone to work from home since most of us have laptops at work. I've never worked from home for more than a day at a time but I like getting all the natural light the entire day that I don't see from my work desk. One possible complication is that my SO has worked from home for a few years, so we'll be "together" all the time! ...should be interesting.

I have stocked up as in 4 pound bags each of about 6 kinds of beans and lentils and 10 pounds of rice. That and a few bags of onions and a dozen cans of diced tomatoes will mean many, many meals. Plus of course all the regular stuff I have in my freezers. I won't use any of that until I have to and plan to make my usual weekly trips for groceries but trying to avoid busy times. Ya know, if everyone is trying to avoid the busy times, what will the new busy times be?

Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
For myself, I'm avoiding crowds in confined spaces and practicing more "social distancing" since I have an elderly mother that I help take care of. Wondering if I should avoid drive through food places and cook ALL meals at home now? Has coronavirus changed your daily activities? If so, how?
Nope. Not worried one bit. In the US, 1.7 million die every year due to various illnesses, diseases, suicide and accidents. Since December 411,000 have died. Worldwide, 5000-7000 have died from this virus which attacks the infirmed, elderly and at risk individuals.

All hype, little bite.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:56 AM

32,943 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Our daily activities changed yesterday, big time.

Now that the epidemiologists have laid out exactly what's going on and why flattening the curve is so important, we are staying inside

Exceptions are grocery shopping and visiting my 90 plus mother-in-law

This is ramping up rapidly
Meanwhile, my son is visiting a friend five states away and they are eating in popular restaurants and going to bars. He has already apologized for being the one who will probably infect me and cause my death.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
We (wife, 67, me 76) are in self-imposed isolation in Copenhagen for at least 2 weeks. We are in day 4, now. My wife is fearful, while I am watching the statistics, somewhat stoically. The best thing for us is that we have focused on treating each other in a "friendly" and respectful manner and are trying to maintain attitudes of gratefulness. We do not have COVID-19 symptoms or any underlying health conditions. I am back to my rowing machine, after quite a spell of non-use. It helps me to keep a positive attitude, as I set new goals every day of how far and how long I will row.

I long to go outside!
Good for your lungs, too! (and heart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness