Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 12:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times

Advertisements

All bars and restaurants are closed as of today, so not going out to eat anymore, not that I was planning on doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 05:00 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
I washed down and sanitized my desk this morning. So far life has been accommodating any other needs. Ridership on my usual bus has been low since the kids are being kept from school. Attendance at my job - a hospital - has been light too. The halls are usually crowded and the elevators are usually jammed at 9AM, but not today. I share an office with another person and we sit about 6 feet from each other.

I am mandated to wear a surgical mask, because I cant take the flu shot, so that's covered, and its nice to not be able to absentmindedly touch my face while at work.

My employer is mandated by law to make the mask available to employees free of charge. They seem to be wanting to put that responsibility on the employees, although to do that means they are not in compliance with the law. It will be interesting to see how that little 'powerplay' plays out.

I'm not out seeing if I can buyout my local supermarkets, which I learned recently have both sold-out a two month supply of meat in a matter of 4 days.

My hands are not peeling from the amount of alcohol based sterilizers I have rubbed them raw with, although I am making an effort to wash my hands more often and for the required length of time.

I'm not panicking. Ive obviously made some changes though. Right or wrong, I just don't feel like the sky is going to fall.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,820,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No. Unless you include being a bit more conscientious about hand washing upon returning home from volunteer work or shopping "changing my daily activities". I'm in the (horror of horrors) "over 60" more vulnerable age group but I am not becoming a recluse because of that either. If I get sick, I am perfectly capable of evaluating whether I should seek medical attention or not. Supposedly, with age comes wisdom...but you'd never guess that based on what the news is reporting these days.
Of course you are.
The issue will be whether adequate medical care will be available for YOU, 'over 60'!

Old 03-16-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
That horse left the barn in December 2019. If they are going to restrict travel, it has to be everyone now, even folks “scheduled to get on Amtrak to go across the country to California to take care of some family business“. By traveling you become a potential spreader.
There are still plenty of horses in the barn!
Why do you think borders are closing even in the 'borderless EU'?
As a doctor on TV recently stated, and I paraphrase, if you need to drain the tub make sure the faucet is off.
Travel restrictions are always implemented top down, so it may eventually require limited travel intra-country as well.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:30 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
We stocked up a few weeks ago so we don't need to go out.
I'm retired and an introverted homebody, so staying home isn't a big change for me.
My husband is more social, so it's harder on him.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
If only they would double - no, triple! - their toilet paper orders!

Kroger's here (in central KY) was not only out of TP but also out of paper napkins. Apparently some are using them in lieu of TP. Need to check my home for extra paper napkins from the two social events I host each year.

Christmas napkins may look a bit odd in the bathroom in early spring, but may soon be the only choice!
You'd be better off using water from a spray bottle than napkins which will clog the hell out of your pipes.
Or do you plan to dispose of them in a waste basket?

Better get on line for a bidet attachment which is far superior to the current 'wipe and spread' method.
I'm certain that's gonna be the next wave of mass buying in this pandemic.

Oops, I see it is already too late as the 'Hello Tushy' is now sold out!

Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
My friends are huggers, but we didn’t even touch when we were together a few days ago. People are hoarding tp and hand sanitizer. Every event has been cancelled.
Finally, I will be absolved from the need to reject 'The Huggers'.
It's the only good thing to come out of this mess, I think.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:17 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
And i will never understand buying big packs of toilet paper ..
Whenever Target has a special on some household products, including our favorite brand of toilet paper, we buy a large pack of mega rolls. We also get a "gift" card with the purchase. Since we do this regularly, the one thing we didn't need to rush out and buy was toilet paper.

We don't have any Purell, very few hand wipes, only a couple of cans of Lysol spray, and we can't find a bottle to refill our hand soap.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:17 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,549,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Sneezes travel 100 mph. Coughs travel 50 mph.

I hope you can run fast. Oh, and don't forget to hold your breathe.
Do any of you bother to think that not every sneeze, every cough is related to this virus? Where I live pollen counts are already high and its suppose to be a terrible allergy season. Americans have jumped off the deep end.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:22 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,549,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Of course you are.
The issue will be whether adequate medical care will be available for YOU, 'over 60'!
Isnt that the posters business? Not yours. There are healthy over 60 people who do not sit in their rocking chairs waiting for the grim reaper! They dont take any meds, work full time, hike, ride, etc. The atitude and stereotyping of the “elderly” is terrible. Terrible discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness