Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 10:05 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I'm wondering if someone won't eat inside a restaurant at this time, why would they get take out or delivery? I'm making all my meals at home for now. Some places are saying you can send them a picture of exactly where you'd like
your delivery to be placed so you don't have to be near the delivery person. Still doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking any food prepared outside your home is questionable because you don't know if someone with the virus prepared it or the person delivering it. You are till going to be touching the bag etc that others touched. How long does the virus stay on food or packaging? I have lots of questions, but for now I don't need the answers cause I'm staying home!
We think alike. If I had no choice maybe, but I am cooking at home even if it's chicken & rice and simple
things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When it comes to changing habits and plans lets just say, I do not get upset with the young kids or young to some of us, for not changing their plans. Spring break is a week away for us here. Both our granddaughters had planned on cruises with their hubby's and kids (2 different cruise lines) both had intended to cruise regardless. The first one was going on Disney, which of course cancelled all its cruises a few weeks ago. The other granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner btw had also planned on taking their cruise. What stopped them was knowing she would have to self quarantine for 2 weeks with no pay. They decided to forget the cruise. Our daughter, who is a travel agent had also planned on cruising that same week. Her cruise was cancelled of course. The reason she was going to take hers was to help some of her clients relax a bit. Our son was going to take his son to some Texas attractions that have closed. So, there are plenty of people, both old and young who are not going to stop living just because they have been told to hide under the bed for a month or so. Now, the exception of course would be anyone who has traveled out of the country in the past few weeks or anyone, knowingly exposed to the virus. Otherwise people have to make their own choices.
This thing is traveling faster than anyone thought. Originally, I thought it would all blow over but then Italy came and I started getting worried. Then the cruise ships with one person infecting many more people. It's not getting it I am worried about, it is overloading the hospitals. In NYC nurses and doctors are now becoming sick. If they are sick who will treat those who are really really ill? There is a limit on oxygen machines and beds. Do we want to start making decisions of who we let die and who we let live? We had bike we here a week ago and at least one NY man brought the virus down and is now hospitalized in Jacksonville. Do things close to home, take a walk in the woods away from others. No one says you have to hide in your home, just don't be stupid and hang with hundreds of people. Everyone still has to go to grocery stores so the less you come in contact with masses of people, the less chance you have it and spread it to others. South Korea stopped this thing in its track mainly because they took it seriously. And to the kids who think it won't affect them, currently there is a 20 yo who is in serious condition with no preexisting conditions.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:00 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
At home, no change. My wife has weak lungs so we prepare for cold and flu season. Our preparations include disinfectant cleaners for kitchen and bathroom, disinfectant spray like Lysol, stock up on cold and flu medications, keep a stock of canned broth based soups, keep electrolyte based sports drinks, and we always have filtered water on tap. We have small bottles of hand sanitizer for in the car (gas pumps and shopping carts). We also have hand washing soap at all sinks.

At work plenty has changed. I work in a hospital boiler room. We’re responsible for negative pressure isolation rooms. Though we have plenty of soap, gloves, and hand sanitizer we’re running low on mask. Recently I had to repair the nurse call in a patient’s room and I needed to get fully dressed out to make the repairs. Employees are banned from going to New Orleans. If we traveled to areas with high number of cases then we’re required to wear a mask at work regardless of if we show symptoms or not. If we do show symptoms then we must stay home under quarantine. Visitation policy is extremely limited now. One healthy visitor per patient except for specific circumstances. The common areas are strangely quiet.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Meanwhile, my son is visiting a friend five states away and they are eating in popular restaurants and going to bars. He has already apologized for being the one who will probably infect me and cause my death.
Well, unless he will self-quarantining for two weeks at a different house he could infect you and possibly cause your death. It certainly is nothing to joke about.

If you are older, or have a compromised immune system i would suggest that he not see you for at least two weeks after he returns.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Speaking of South Korea - the virus does not skip the younger generation like originally thought.

Here’s something that’s absolutely terrifying: a comparison of the age distributions of Covid-19 cases in Italy, where they are only testing people who show symptoms, and S. Korea, which has broad testing. A whole lot of 20-29yos out there who feel just fine but are v contagious:

https://twitter.com/markwby/status/1238867143363567616

Old 03-18-2020, 03:12 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
I got my first grocery delivery from Shipt today. While I despise having to do it due to fear of catching the Corona virus, I've got to say that it was really handy. The guy who filled my order texted me when he started to pick things, and then texted again if there were any shortages and if I wanted to substitute or just eliminate the item. He also made suggestions on certain items, which was helpful. When it was time to deliver the order he pulled up, rang the bell and dropped the bags right at my front door. At least this gives me a means to get groceries for the future when I'm too old to even go to WalMart and do the pickup there. I've already been home for a month due to a respiratory illness, so it was nice to see a friendly face as well!

Old 03-18-2020, 04:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,643 times
Things have changed a slight bit:

1. I used to get food delivered on a weekly basis. Due to the "panic buying", there are no slots available anymore. All slots are always booked. I therefore need to make it to the nearby food store by foot (about 5 minutes). I wear regular gloves in the store to grab the products etc..

2. I don't go to shopping centers, avoid public transportation since I'm working from home and make sure I keep my distance from any other human.

3. Since I live with roommates, I make sure I clean any surfaces (tables, kitchen counter, kettle, bathroom, bathtub) before and after using them. They don't do the same, but it's their problem. I'm a bit OCD to begin with, so this is nothing new really, just a bit more enhanced.

4. I got for an hour walk every day to keep my body going and get some fresh air.

I think the hardest part is the lack of social interaction and the impact on mental health. I'm not the most extroverted person, but I miss seeing people around the office, going for coffee, walking up to someone and have a chat etc.. Phone calls and conferences are possible, but it's not the same.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:51 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
just cleaning hands more. I wish the community gym was open and not closed due to this. It is rarely used anyway as I'm the only one in there.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:56 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever curiously, why oh why are people stocking up on Toilet Paper? What isn't showing up on my radar screen? Is diarrhea part of what happens if you get it?
Same reason that they are stocking up on bottled water, when they have water already running into their homes. Same reason that they are stocking up on hand sanitizer, when soap is much cheaper, lasts longer and is far more effective in preventing infection.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:06 PM

157 posts, read 93,327 times
Quote:
Speaking of South Korea - the virus does not skip the younger generation like originally thought.
This doesn't terrify me - didn't we always know that younger people get it, but just don't show symptoms like older people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness