Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Apparently, the answer is yes for too many.
Why do some people think their way is the only right way. What is right for you is fine for you, but what is right for others, may be right for them.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Why?

Well, look at the ignoramus in the WH, and the sheeple who follow him. He tells a lie every other hour and people still follow him and think he is going a good job because he tells them he is! He encouraged the worst of the worst to go out (for political reasons) because he knows that they will go--that they just aren't smart enough to know better. "If the Prez says it's okay, it must be fine". Like he cares a hoot about a single person. Couldn't even express sympathy yesterday before he rolled into how great the economy is going to be next year (and yes, we are going to loose some people. Pffft.)

I get it. People are bored. They are tired of being cooped up. They are tired of being broke (did you get your millions? His friends did. Yu got $1200. Maybe).

Go out. It's fine. Mingle. Hug. Risk the life of your friend and neighbor--not to mention your family. What could possibly go wrong?

Plenty.

The clown mucked it up. Borrowed ANOTHER few trillion on top of his tax cut for the wealthy which already cost our children TRILLIONS. Then completely dismissed the worst crisis to hit our nation in decades with a "yes, there's 15 now, but it will soon be zero". Then he sent Kushner out to pillage in the medical appliance market in order to make a few extra million for the crime family.

And you want to encourage such behavior from someone who is supposed to be looking our for our Nation, and the world?

Not me. I don't believe a word he says. And I am not about to go out and risk my life, or my family's lives just because I am "bored". The president is concerned that he won't get re-elected if the economy doesn't recover by November. It won't. That die is already cast by his own actions--or lack thereof.
If you do not understand what you said and how it came across, I can't explain it to you. I can say, we all have our own opinions of this crisis and of how it is being handled. Of course you have yours and that is fine but do you really think everyone has to agree with you or they are wrong?

Old 05-06-2020, 12:31 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why do some people think their way is the only right way. What is right for you is fine for you, but what is right for others, may be right for them.
Because as many a sign I've seen around these days says, "We're all in this together". Your going out sans mask, breathing all over everyone around you could cause innocent bystanders to get sick or even die. If your actions only affected YOU, I would have no problem with your actions. However, this virus can be spread even if you feel fine. What is right for you, therefore, becomes NOT right for others around you. Your behavior can have serious consequences for me. These are not normal times. Just don't get how that is so hard to comprehend.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:43 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Because as many a sign I've seen around these days says, "We're all in this together". Your going out sans mask, breathing all over everyone around you could cause innocent bystanders to get sick or even die. If your actions only affected YOU, I would have no problem with your actions. However, this virus can be spread even if you feel fine. What is right for you, therefore, becomes NOT right for others around you. Your behavior can have serious consequences for me. These are not normal times. Just don't get how that is so hard to comprehend.
There is little to no evidence showing that cloth masks are effective or that they protect anyone. There is some evidence that they can increase risk to the wearer, especially with improper use, something I see every time I go out.

I don’t open my mouth at the grocery store other then saying, “thank you” to the cashier and bagger as I leave nor do I cough or sneeze unless I’m sick so not sure how I personally would be putting anyone in harms way by not wearing a cloth mask while out and about. I also don’t get close enough to anyone in order to breathe all over them.

I think there is a lot of fear right now that is leading to some hysterical views in regards to masks. I think the focus on masks is overblown when looking at the scientific evidence.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:50 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That's a lame argument. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't give a crap what anyone wants. So if it's not "right" for me to wear a mask, and I infect someone who doesn't think being infected is "right" for them - who's right?

There's no room for individualism here. By not all pulling together to safeguard not only our own health but the health of everyone around us, we're saying we don't give a flying hang about anyone but ourselves.

Put on a damn mask, and keep six feet away. Don't be a jerk. Surely that's not too difficult?

Old 05-06-2020, 01:20 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
"Going out" and "wearing a mask" are two unrelated topics.

I was ran into my mother-in-law (82 years old) in Sprouts today. As far as I know, she had not been to any store since she got pneumonia in February. She was wearing a mask, of course, as was I and all the other shoppers and employees.

She was VERY happy to be out. Her mental health was suffering from sitting at home listening to gloom and doom on the TV and a bunch of her elderly friends telling her she had better stay isolated for about, well, forever. But that's not much of a life, and I guess she had just had enough.

There are elderly people who say they are happy to stay inside for the rest of their lives if necessary, and I have no reason to disbelieve them. But for very social extroverts like my mother-in-law, that's kind of like serving a life sentence. I'm not surprised that she has reached the point where she is willing to take a slight risk just to get out.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:38 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I don’t sit home all day staring at my spouse, listening to the gloom and doom media, and just wallow.

I actively interact with my spouse even more than before and since we are best friends and lovers that’s a great thing, I work, I play lots of games with the kids, I’ve been gardening like crazy and enjoying the walks around the neighborhood. It’s been great.

My work/life balance has never been better. How you deal with a sucky situation is totally up to you.

The one thing I miss is family and friends but that’ll come in time. I’m in no rush.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There is little to no evidence showing that cloth masks are effective or that they protect anyone. There is some evidence that they can increase risk to the wearer, especially with improper use, something I see every time I go out.

I don’t open my mouth at the grocery store other then saying, “thank you” to the cashier and bagger as I leave nor do I cough or sneeze unless I’m sick so not sure how I personally would be putting anyone in harms way by not wearing a cloth mask while out and about. I also don’t get close enough to anyone in order to breathe all over them.

I think there is a lot of fear right now that is leading to some hysterical views in regards to masks. I think the focus on masks is overblown when looking at the scientific evidence.
Yes, I think the masks are in addition to all of the other precautions you mention. I will be wearing a mask, as I venture out to stores, for the first time in two months, as well as maintaining maximum distance/interactions with everyone else in my surroundings. People need to realize, that if precautions are not taken and there is a spike in new cases/deaths, we will most likely be going into lockdown mode again. So, pick your poison. Go out safely, or get ready for staying home again.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don’t sit home all day staring at my spouse, listening to the gloom and doom media, and just wallow.

I actively interact with my spouse even more than before and since we are best friends and lovers that’s a great thing, I work, I play lots of games with the kids, I’ve been gardening like crazy and enjoying the walks around the neighborhood. It’s been great.

My work/life balance has never been better. How you deal with a sucky situation is totally up to you.

The one thing I miss is family and friends but that’ll come in time. I’m in no rush.
Well, it's nice that you have a spouse. Many elderly people are widowed or divorced, like my mother-in-law (her husband died in 2018). Many, like her, are retired, so don't have work, and many, like her, have arthritis or some other condition which makes long walks and gardening difficult. I did mention that she is 82, right?

It's easier to deal with "sucky situations" if you are dealt a better hand.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:59 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Right?

My yard is looking amazing, vegetable garden is doing better than I could have hoped (knock on wood), I do spend more time on cooking and food management to minimize trips to the store, I've done all kinds of home repairs, husband is outside building patio furniture that was shipped to us, taken on line classes, redone the drip system in the yard, zoom with family and friends, playing xbox (physical type games), starting a new crochet blanket (how old lady-ish ), and still plenty left to do.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness