Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 19,830 times

Advertisements

This is my first tread ever. I am a 30 year old female who broke her tibia and fibula on Feb. 17 2008 on the ski slopes. My snow blade did not release from my ski boot. Both my ankle and knee kept on twisting opposite directions until I heard a very load SNAP at which point I fell to the ground. I got operated 2 days after. The doctor put a rod in my tibia bone and 2 screws rigth below the knee and 2 screws rigth above the ankle. I started physio almost a week after my surgery. It's going to be 6 weeks since the accident. It has been real hard on my moral because I can't do much without the help of my parents and it is all getting to me since I have been a very active and independant person for most of my life. I read some of the treads and it got me down. I want to get better and be able to walk ASAP. These days I get around with crutches and can't wait to get the ok to start putting more weigth on my leg.
THINGS THAT HAVE HELPED ME: Besides the physio (which I can't go often because I am no longer employed(prior to the accident) and have no insurance. I work out 4 times a week for an average of 90minutes. I do free weigths for the arms,biceps and triceps. I do alot of leg exercises to strengthen my calf and thigh muscles and well as abs and anything else that i can think off that is feasible at this time. I also eat a well balanced diet to maximize my calcium absorption. (avoin caffeine, soft drinks, alcohol,sugar and sweets) this will slow down the healing process.

I won't lie to you, I have days that i feel like I will never be the same again and it depresses the heck out of me. I can't even drive because it's my right leg. However I keep on telling myself it could have been worse and that there are worse things out there.

PAIN: The swelling has gone down tremendously. I keep my leg elevated as much as I can and put ice for spurts of 20 minutes to keep the swelling down. After week 4 I was doing this less and less (on a need bases). The swelling is down however I can feel all 4 screws when I touch my skin in that area. AND YES they do hurt at times, which I guess it's only normal. It is this weird pain that kind of pulsates. ALSO the greater rigth side of my knee is very numb!!! Will the sensation ever comeback??? NO IDEA

I am going to see my surgeon next week, which brings it to 6 weeks post surgery. I will keep you all posted on what she says and how long until i start walking again. I was told the whole point of the surgery was so I can start walking asap.

I had no idea so many of us shared this unlucky injury, but I guess it helps to share our experiences because it is very scary when you don't have anyone around who has experienced what you are going through!

Speedy recovery to all of us!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM

117 posts, read 699,846 times
Default Fractured tibia and fibula

Welcome!
Sorry we had to meet this way, you are not alone, we all know what you are going through, yup feeling deppressed, know what that feels like!!
It sounds like you are doing everything right! Keep it up!!
keep on writting about your thoughts! It'll keep you from going nuts!!

Chin up..

Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,689 times
I fell and broke both tib/fib just above left ankle.I was in a store parking lot after closing and no-one was around ( I was walking my dog) So I laid there yelling for help for quite a while, putting snow on my face so I wouldn't pass out or get sick. Had surgery 2 days later, and am now home.
Has anyone had to deal with insurance companies? The store has admitted fault, other people had fallen from snow and ice , but not bad enough to do dammage. We had an insurance adjuster from their company come and see us, but I'm wondering what happens now. My husband and I own a bakery and we do all the baking. He is having a really hard time trying to work for both of us and then come home and take care of me.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Yar

12 posts, read 125,162 times
hey everyone. I am now a bit over 4 months into my recovery(broke tibia and fibula Nov.17). I went to physio for a few weeks but they decided to leave me on my own for 3 weeks because I was progressing very nicely. There are some days where I still limp around a bit but I am getting better and better. The other day I went for my first walk outside. I tried to avoid the sidewalks and walk on the street where there is less snow and ice. I was kinda sore after the walk but I am glad I did it. It was a good challenge and it just feels so good to feel normal again.
I start working again on Monday so it will be nice to earn a paycheck again. My swelling is going down and down but its definitly still there. My doctor told me I could expect it for up to 12 months even. But everything seems to be healing very nicely!!
My advice to anyone would be to do your excercises as often as you can. My doctor gave me a bunch of excercises to get the range of motion back. Another piece of advice would be to enjoy the time off and read or do puzzles...somthing to keep your mind occupied. Its not often you will be able to sit around and do nothing for a long time. Enjoy it while you can.

best of luck everyone!!....I'm almost back!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:54 AM

WHY ME???????????????
WHY, WHY , WHY???????

MARCH 28 2008
HAD MY X-RAY THIS MORNING, MY FIB IS TILL NOT HEALED!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS BEEN 14 F%CKEN MONTH....

Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
WHY ME???????????????
WHY, WHY , WHY???????

MARCH 28 2008
HAD MY X-RAY THIS MORNING, MY FIB IS TILL NOT HEALED!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS BEEN 14 F%CKEN MONTH....
I'm so sorry Nel! I'm only going on 3 weeks since my break, I can't imagine what you're going through.
ritapsz

Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Default ritapsz

Thank you!
Oh my goodness, both my husband and I also have our own businesses, I know what you are going through..
Here I am telling evreyone to be patient, healing takes time,
I am getting impatient...

Nel

Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 19,830 times
Default nutrition and bone healing

Nel, I am sorry to hear that. 14 months is a long time...did the doctors do anything for your fibula or just the tibia? They left my tibia as is and they said it will heal on it's own.

Not sure if you are watching out what you eat? There are some foods that help the healing and calcium retaining process. Other types of foods likesweets, alcohol, caffeine are called calsium stealers. Meaning when you urine some of the calcium gets flushed, which is crucial when you have a fracture. Search the net and ask your doctor for more info. Low fat Yogurt, brocoli and other green veggies and legumes are highly recommended.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:28 AM

7 posts, read 52,213 times
thanx nel for supporting everyone its too hard to feel your not normal but everthing must take its time to heal , and belive me i'm suffering the same and maybe little bit more i have been watching my team play since dec. and i hope to get back soon before june coz we are starting a new season and i will be so sad if i did't ctach them in it whish you all luck

Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Default Feb08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb08 View Post
Nel, I am sorry to hear that. 14 months is a long time...did the doctors do anything for your fibula or just the tibia? They left my tibia as is and they said it will heal on it's own.

Not sure if you are watching out what you eat? There are some foods that help the healing and calcium retaining process. Other types of foods likesweets, alcohol, caffeine are called calsium stealers. Meaning when you urine some of the calcium gets flushed, which is crucial when you have a fracture. Search the net and ask your doctor for more info. Low fat Yogurt, brocoli and other green veggies and legumes are highly recommended.

My os left my fib to heal on its own.
My tib has healed nicely, I even saw alot of new bone growth!
Two month ago Jan. when I went in to have my x-ray the big gap
on my fib freaked me out! This time the gap looked closer together.
Even the x-ray technician notice..
I do enjoy my coffee and my sweets! I don't drink alcohol, my parting days are over since had my kids..
thanks for the info, I will look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness