Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 05:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Multi-light, motion activated toilet mounted nightlight. (still awaiting its arrival) It was about $4.
Makes your toilet water change colors. Oooooh!!!
"Kids! Y'all c'mere and look at this!"

Yeehaw, thanks for this - I just ordered one from Amazon!

FUN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
A set of Shun knives and an OXO peeler!
+ 2 boxes of bandaids

Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I got a couple things:

I've been trying to organize my basement, storage room and shed over the last year (moved to a house with less storage) and got these folding Origami brand shelves that I've been obsessed with. I happened to find some at a place called Ocean State Job Lot, where the shelves that typically sell from anywhere between $89 and $159 for $59.99. I basically bought them out.

We have a real fireplace in our new house but we had none of the accoutrements. My husband did not want to pay for someone to come out and inspect and clean the chimney so it went unused. I got a Duraflame fireplace insert that looks like logs on a fireplace stand. When you turn it on it looks like a fire, and it has a heater that you can either use or not use. I absolutely love it. I also got a glass fireplace screen from Plow & Hearth, and together with the insert, my fireplace now looks so awesome.

Re: the LEDs, Massachusetts has a program where you have the electric company come out and evaluate your home. They will replace all your light bulbs with LEDs for free, so we did that.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
A broom, a can of paint and some paint brushes.
That is the biggest, cheapest and fastest improvement to a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
A set of Shun knives and an OXO peeler!
+ 2 boxes of bandaids
Ha, ha...be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

Re: the LEDs, Massachusetts has a program where you have the electric company come out and evaluate your home. They will replace all your light bulbs with LEDs for free, so we did that.
Thanks for the reminder for others to check with their electric companies.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
My husband and I have had a driveway alert for years but we just bought one for a couple we know. They have a terrible habit of leaving their garage door open all the time and we were worried for their safety when they do this. Anyway we bought them a Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm for them and set it up. It faces their driveway and now anytime someone pulls in or walks on their driveway the chime goes off inside their house. They love it so much they want to get a couple of extra receivers for around their house.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardline-Wir...ords=gaurdline

Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I got a couple things:

I've been trying to organize my basement, storage room and shed over the last year (moved to a house with less storage) and got these folding Origami brand shelves that I've been obsessed with. I happened to find some at a place called Ocean State Job Lot, where the shelves that typically sell from anywhere between $89 and $159 for $59.99. I basically bought them out.
OMG, these are brilliant. I need this for my basement STAT!

Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Russian bride--definitely! (just kidding)

Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
GE convection oven, air fryer, and humidifier.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:18 PM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
A hospital type moveable overbed table for my bed. So convenient for books, remotes, food, drinks, etc whether used on the side of my bed or over my bed. They are not expensive.

A small refrigerator for the bedroom level of my townhouse. No need to go downstairs to get a cold drink at night.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
A Ring doorbell. I have a large house, and can't hear the doorbell from upstairs. Now though? My phone lets me know someone is at the door, provides audio and video so I can see who it is, and I can talk with them via the doorbell. It works amazingly well.

Additionally the camera can be motion activated, so I have recordings of everyone who shows up at my door, and any deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House