Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
Read my threads, at no point did I expect it to be anything like New England, as a matter of fact I knew it would not be.

I thought it would be like the suburbs of Charlotte and Atlanta, it was not.

You have more flat undeveloped land than I have ever seen and still the builders insist on postage stamp lots, I can not for the life of me understand that.
I read and agreed with you.
I also asked if you visited the north side like The Woodlands where it more resembles the NE with the trees and not being quite so flat.

You may also want to check out the Austin area... much more like the NE than Houston in terms of terrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM

875 posts, read 1,662,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Really?!
Yea I lived in the Huntsville area for 4 years. Its a nice area lots of trees and yes they are hills, ive been to Alabama and Georgia and the areas do favor.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I read and agreed with you.
I also asked if you visited the north side like The Woodlands where it more resembles the NE with the trees and not being quite so flat.

You may also want to check out the Austin area... much more like the NE than Houston in terms of terrain.
I am from the Philadelphia 'burbs and lived in Houston and now in Austin. Let me tell you that neither are close to the Northeast. True, the Woodlands has more trees, but I would hardly define it as hilly or forested.

Technically I live in far West Austin (aka The Hill Country). Honestly, Hill Country is laughable. My old driveway was steeper than these hills. And Austin is NOT a big city. There is not a lot to do here - no good museums, no zoo, etc. At least Houston does have that going for it.

But one thing you may have figured out by now is that Texans will never admit that there is anything less than fabulous about their state.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I am from the Philadelphia 'burbs and lived in Houston and now in Austin. Let me tell you that neither are close to the Northeast. True, the Woodlands has more trees, but I would hardly define it as hilly or forested.

Technically I live in far West Austin (aka The Hill Country). Honestly, Hill Country is laughable. My old driveway was steeper than these hills. And Austin is NOT a big city. There is not a lot to do here - no good museums, no zoo, etc. At least Houston does have that going for it.

But one thing you may have figured out by now is that Texans will never admit that there is anything less than fabulous about their state.
Relax. I'm from upstate NY. Born and raised.
All i'm saying is those areas are closer than the rest.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I hate whiners. Don't like it...don't come back.
You live here and don't like it...move out.

Simple as that.
Plus Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Ive been exploring Houston. Inside the loop of Houston is hideous. The Northside of Houston is decent. If I move to Houston the Northside is the only part of Houston I would live.

if you think the loop is ugly and the northside is pretty you clearly visited some other city. The loop has some of the nicest areas in Texas while the Northside is mainly slums like 5th ward, Aldine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
As a new comer to Houston who came from a fantastic city and haven't been to Houston since 1984 I can say that in my 5 months living here we have been pleasantly surprised by all the beautiful neighborhoods, restaurants and shopping experiences. We will be able to easily live in this city for the next few years and feel really comfortable inviting our friends from Chicago and the West Coast to Houston and show them a great time.

thanks for the different perspective

Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM

875 posts, read 1,662,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Plus Two

if you think the loop is ugly and the northside is pretty you clearly visited some other city. The loop has some of the nicest areas in Texas while the Northside is mainly slums like 5th ward, Aldine

thanks for the different perspective
I think he was referring to the Northern suburbs such as Spring or the Woodlands..the Northern Parts between 610 and the Beltway does have a city feel to it..lol

Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM

208 posts, read 270,166 times
Good review from a short visit. You have to be from a third world country, running away from someone, lived on offshore oilrigs or on medication to see Houston as 'moving up'.

Don't get me started on the cheap building materials on 'upscale' neighborhoods around here

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerEast View Post
Good review from a short visit. You have to be from a third world country, running away from someone, lived on offshore oilrigs or on medication to see Houston as 'moving up'.

Don't get me started on the cheap building materials on 'upscale' neighborhoods around here
Do you currently live in Houston? If so, you are welcome to GTFO. Go move to a NE commie blue state in the process of being run into the ground by the democraps.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
Read my threads, at no point did I expect it to be anything like New England, as a matter of fact I knew it would not be.

I thought it would be like the suburbs of Charlotte and Atlanta, it was not.

You have more flat undeveloped land than I have ever seen and still the builders insist on postage stamp lots, I can not for the life of me understand that.

Homer, i respect your decision and viewpoints and all, but i have to call you on this one. I have a sister who lives in Charlotte NC, but now stays in Concord, a suburb of Charlotte. Charlotte is not an overly developed oasis. Matter of a fact, there's many many tall trees for miles, you forget that you're in a large city.

I like Charlotte and not intending to knock it, but driving through Charlotte is very underwhelming and boring. In the metro, there's large gaps of nothing but heavily forested trees between destinations. Once you get to areas like downtown, you start to feel like you're in a city, but when i go to a city, i wanna see a city. I want to see towering skyscrapers, urban development, and much more. I get that in Houston before even reaching the inner loop.

By you using Charlotte to define beautiful, i know you're wanting country land, lakes, not a city. But by your same standards, you should have checked out The Woodlands, Kingwood, Conroe, or Huntsville.

I agree with the poster that said that i think alot of your conclusions are based on your not wanting to move. And that's fine. It's fine that you don't like Houston. I just want you to know that those type of areas do exist in the metro before you declare that they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Ive been exploring Houston. Inside the loop of Houston is hideous. The Northside of Houston is decent. If I move to Houston the Northside is the only part of Houston I would live.
If you're talking east of 288, then yes you may be right. But everything else (which is the main part of the city) is definitely not ugly. Especially Upper Kirby/Riveroaks, Greenway Plaza, Uptown, Texas Medical Center, Museum district, Rice area, Bellaire, Downtown/Midtown. Dallas doesn't look much different from this anyway.

The northside is far from what i call decent. Inner loop is decent. Seriously, this post makes it seem like you have no idea what you're talking about.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM

208 posts, read 270,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Do you currently live in Houston? If so, you are welcome to GTFO. Go move to a NE commie blue state in the process of being run into the ground by the democraps.
you should GTFO and see other places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston