Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerEast View Post
I've been living in Houston for 5 years. I saw what I saw when I was making the decision to move here. If not for family already based here then there will be very little benefit for moving down here.

Most people see it different. Why do think that you were elected to speak for the majority especially since most disagree with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Homer, i respect your decision and viewpoints and all, but i have to call you on this one. I have a sister who lives in Charlotte NC, but now stays in Concord, a suburb of Charlotte. Charlotte is not an overly developed oasis. Matter of a fact, there's many many tall trees for miles, you forget that you're in a large city.

I like Charlotte and not intending to knock it, but driving through Charlotte is very underwhelming and boring. In the metro, there's large gaps of nothing but heavily forested trees between destinations. Once you get to areas like downtown, you start to feel like you're in a city, but when i go to a city, i wanna see a city. I want to see towering skyscrapers, urban development, and much more. I get that in Houston before even reaching the inner loop.

By you using Charlotte to define beautiful, i know you're wanting country land, lakes, not a city. But by your same standards, you should have checked out The Woodlands, Kingwood, Conroe, or Huntsville.

I agree with the poster that said that i think alot of your conclusions are based on your not wanting to move. And that's fine. It's fine that you don't like Houston. I just want you to know that those type of areas do exist in the metro before you declare that they don't.

If you're talking east of 288, then yes you may be right. But everything else (which is the main part of the city) is definitely not ugly. Especially Upper Kirby/Riveroaks, Greenway Plaza, Uptown, Texas Medical Center, Museum district, Rice area, Bellaire, Downtown/Midtown. Dallas doesn't look much different from this anyway.

The northside is far from what i call decent. Inner loop is decent. Seriously, this post makes it seem like you have no idea what you're talking about.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Atlanta and Birmingham are like that.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Than you didn't research enough. Houston is not like Charlotte and Atlanta; its been said many times that Houston is flat. Trust that the SE has more undeveloped land than us; however, considering our land is flat and in the southern parts of the metro area; we lack trees. It's more visible.
That sounds equivalent to the unvisible undeveloped areas of forests, woods, and hills in Birmingham, Atlanta, and Charlotte

Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I see a freeway with a lot of stores (and their signs). Lots of shopping in a big city.
What else would there be along the freeways?
Why would you judge the city by the freeways?
Is NYC that much different? Not that I remember. I was just back there for a visit again. Driving along the Cross Bronx Expressway is ugly. Go out to long island and drive along Sunrise Highway... not much better.

Get away from the freeways if you don't want to see all that stuff.
If you want to compare little towns in the NE to Houston you're going to be in for a shock. Instead, drive out to Fulshear, Richmond, Bellville, etc.
Actually, it's lots of shopping in a post world war 2 suburb. It looks like any city, Texas, USA. What else would there be along freeway? Nothing. Or at least have the backsides of businesses face the freeway. I kind of like the way DC does the capital beltway. Nothing besides the freeway.
Washington DC - Google Maps

You misunderstood the point and didn't see the conversation. We were talking about the flaws that exist in Houston and this sadly is one of them. Yes, Houston has great neighborhoods. I've said this many times. But one criticism of Houston is this exact blight that is found by the freeways and it's mostly because of the feeder roads. I think these shopping and business belongs on arterial roads, not along the freeway. I hate having to compete with cars driving at 55 mph just to get to the right lane at the light. Because of that, those feeders not only make the landscape look ugly, they are dangerous. I wouldn't judge a city by the freeway. I always get off to judge. Many others don't and you know what they say about first impressions. I wonder if the I-45 route from the airport to downtown was said to be a big turnoff for the USOC. That and it's terrible transit.
I'd rather have this:
Dallas, TX - Google Maps

than this
Houston - Google Maps

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM

So how can Houston improve this, Spade?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the OP: you visited houston and the best area you saw is Katy?

sounds like all you did was tour the suburbs. yes to many the suburbs suck
He lives in MA on a golf course with a house on an acre of land. Obviously, he's going to tour the suburbs and places where he can possibly get golf course living down south. Houston does have a lot of golf course neighborhoods. It's not wrong to only tour what you want. Considering our numerous burbs, a person has a lot choose from.

Houston is SO big and spiraling I can see why someone would assume everyone's house is on a decent sized piece of land. A lot of houses have a nice sized front but literally only a patio out back. I'm still shocked when I'm in the suburbs and see the lack of backyards I mean, do the dogs have any grass back there? Some houses, I'm not so sure.

The burbs are the only places where you can get that for a not breaking the bank price.

The city of Houston is for if you don't want so much privacy. Neighbors literally smack dab next to you.

Of the burbs he likved Katy the best. I'd figure he'd like The Woodlands but I'm sure it's way out of budget.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
So how can Houston improve this, Spade?
I wish they could rip all these access roads up and put the trees back up. I find North Houston beautiful in that sense. The trees are not as thick as the Piedmont, but it comes close. Or, they could put a wall up. Remember when I talked about what Miami did? This is what I meant.
Miami - Google Maps

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM

I like that!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wish they could rip all these access roads up and put the trees back up. I find North Houston beautiful in that sense. The trees are not as thick as the Piedmont, but it comes close. Or, they could put a wall up. Remember when I talked about what Miami did? This is what I meant.
Miami - Google Maps
I thought Downtown Miami was gorgeous. I was really shocked at how pretty and really clean it was. DT Houston can be nasty. Don't look at the ground at all.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
He lives in MA on a golf course with a house on an acre of land. Obviously, he's going to tour the suburbs and places where he can possibly get golf course living down south. Houston does have a lot of golf course neighborhoods. It's not wrong to only tour what you want. Considering our numerous burbs, a person has a lot choose from.

Houston is SO big and spiraling I can see why someone would assume everyone's house is on a decent sized piece of land. A lot of houses have a nice sized front but literally only a patio out back. I'm still shocked when I'm in the suburbs and see the lack of backyards I mean, do the dogs have any grass back there? Some houses, I'm not so sure.

The burbs are the only places where you can get that for a not breaking the bank price.

The city of Houston is for if you don't want so much privacy. Neighbors literally smack dab next to you.

Of the burbs he likved Katy the best. I'd figure he'd like The Woodlands but I'm sure it's way out of budget.
Maybe he should just pony up the big-boy bucks and move into Hunter's Creek. He can have an acre lot, trees, custom home, and can sniff socks with some of the most elite and discerning narcissists that Houston has to offer. No four-inch sinks there. Can't help him on the terrain. Complaining about the terrain being flat in Houston is like complaining that the ocean is too wet. Or that there are too many commies in the NE. This is a coastal plain what do you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston