Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I just moved to Houston and I love it. I grew up in Cali surrounded by a lot of natural beauty, so I understand where you are coming from. However, if you are only looking at the burbs of Houston, I can understand why you made the decision you did. Houston is a city with a lot to offer if you know where to look. Every weekend since we have moved to Houston has been an adventure. We have met some of the most amazing people since we moved here. I can't imagine being happier anywhere else now
OK. Your comment gives me hope. Now I really want to come visit. DANG, I wish that someone that I know will go to Houston sometime soon so I can ride with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are gonna have a hard time convincing me that people in Alabama are "friendlier" than people in Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
YEA! I'm not trying to brag but...

North Alabama

My School in North Alabama

Central Alabama

The Beaches

Damn, Alabama looks nice. Roll your eyes at me all you want but I've always said no to Bama just because of it's history and I know some of those old folks from way back when are probably still kicking like Betty White and thinking that their 40-60ish kids and grandkids aren't any better and I always wonder about race relations. I don't make everything about race but I'd hate to live somewhere that's suppose to be diverse but it's we stay on our side and you stay on yours. Like the boroughs in NY you'd be surprised are so locked out race wise (I had no idea! I guess NY really did keep up with the separate but equal) and Detroit (that 8 mile line was on division, Good Lord! Would a blue get shot stepping over line and some 6 feet under dirty looks and vice versa?) and I think ATL too. That colored dots map was a trip. All the blue in one area and red in the other. We're such a big a$$ melting pot in Houston and I like that.\

But so pretty!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Alabama is very nice, and we have those kind of relations, but what place doesn't? It's not how people describe eventhough it is very deep southern. We have beautiful people here just like the scenery. I'm BEAUTIFUL! LOL! Alabama is very black and white just like Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia. It's not bad here at all.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Alabama is very nice, and we have those kind of relations, but what place doesn't? It's not how people describe eventhough it is very deep southern. We have beautiful people here just like the scenery. I'm BEAUTIFUL! LOL! Alabama is very black and white just like Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia. It's not bad here at all.
Honestly, I think Houston becoming New Mexico helped B/W relations because a lot of B/W are on the same side when it comes to illegal immigration so it's like "Ok, my 88 year old grandma/great-grandma and your 88 year old grandma/great grandma had some problems in the 60s and before but we're cool now because *looks to the left* our problems need to die because that was a LONG time ago and we've evolved and it was a slow but steady process but this right here...."

That sounds horrible but considering B/W problems went back to Reconstruction and slightly before, it's kind of a good thing to have a new focus albeit a sort of not so good one. KWIM?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
QUESTION: I know I NEED TO VISIT, but I really want to know what just makes Houston UGLY? I mean, I've been to places that are flat, and they are nice and appealing.
I think it's mostly the feeder roads filled with strip centers, billboards one after the other, and the overhead power lines. Especially all of those put together (along I-45 is a good example) that just turns a lot of people off. Note that these are all things you see while driving... get down into the neighborhoods, especially in areas like West University Place and the Museum District, and you'll forget all about that other stuff.

BTW - Sugar Land has an ordinance against any kind of billboards or signs taller than a certain height. I love this, makes such a huge difference, wish more cities would do it.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I think it's mostly the feeder roads filled with strip centers, billboards one after the other, and the overhead power lines. Especially all of those put together (along I-45 is a good example) that just turns a lot of people off. Note that these are all things you see while driving... get down into the neighborhoods, especially in areas like West University Place and the Museum District, and you'll forget all about that other stuff.

BTW - Sugar Land has an ordinance against any kind of billboards or signs taller than a certain height. I love this, makes such a huge difference, wish more cities would do it.
That sounds like I-85 NE in Atlanta.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

yeah, I rarely venture past the beltway, and hardly use many of the highways. so I barely notice billboards. I know that 45 is notorious for billboards

Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Do we really have that many power lines? I never noticed it being too much.

What so they have in MA?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah, I rarely venture past the beltway, and hardly use many of the highways. so I barely notice billboards. I know that 45 is notorious for billboards
Where do you venture off to? I guess you don't see the ugly everyone is talking about. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston