Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Whataburger and In-N-Out are equally bad. Why eat that when Houston is full if good burgers?
For convenience, cost and quickness, whataburger and in n out to me are top options.

Sometimes i think people lump these burger spots with all the many great options out there. These aren't really meant to be lumped into the sit down, dine in, or gourmet/fancyesque burger joints.

Sometimes I'm craving the rancor burger from petrol station but don't feel like paying $13 or driving/waiting when a whataburger is around the corner and an acceptable alternative.

"I have 6 bucks, what do I grab real quick"? Whataburger and in n out come to mind for me. Those that don't like either mention a few in this catagory, as I love a good burger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
For convenience, cost and quickness, whataburger and in n out to me are top options.

Sometimes i think people lump these burger spots with all the many great options out there. These aren't really meant to be lumped into the sit down, dine in, or gourmet/fancyesque burger joints.

Sometimes I'm craving the rancor burger from petrol station but don't feel like paying $13 or driving/waiting when a whataburger is around the corner and an acceptable alternative.

"I have 6 bucks, what do I grab real quick"? Whataburger and in n out come to mind for me. Those that don't like either mention a few in this catagory, as I love a good burger...
I really miss Whataburger! I have a gift certificate for a free In N Out combo and there is one two blocks from me here in Long Beach and it's sat on my fridge for two years almost! I've had it a few times since leaving Houston and it's ok, just not a monthly experience I need especially since even here where they are in every zip code there is always a line.

I was so excited to see Whataburger in Phoenix last time I went. I made it a point to take all my friends visiting from LA there. It was not the same as in Texas. Maybe different meat supplier? The A-1 thick n hearty burger was gross. I loved it in Houston, but they just didn't make it the same and everyone who went with me was disappointed. But last time I was in San Antonio, I made one of the friends from that Phoenix expedition try it with me. It was just like I remembered and so good.

I wonder if In N Out tastes different in Texas? I haven't been to one out there. Carl's Jr. tasted the same here as it did a mile from my parents' house in Pearland. Consistency.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I really miss Whataburger! I have a gift certificate for a free In N Out combo and there is one two blocks from me here in Long Beach and it's sat on my fridge for two years almost! I've had it a few times since leaving Houston and it's ok, just not a monthly experience I need especially since even here where they are in every zip code there is always a line.

I was so excited to see Whataburger in Phoenix last time I went. I made it a point to take all my friends visiting from LA there. It was not the same as in Texas. Maybe different meat supplier? The A-1 thick n hearty burger was gross. I loved it in Houston, but they just didn't make it the same and everyone who went with me was disappointed. But last time I was in San Antonio, I made one of the friends from that Phoenix expedition try it with me. It was just like I remembered and so good.

I wonder if In N Out tastes different in Texas? I haven't been to one out there. Carl's Jr. tasted the same here as it did a mile from my parents' house in Pearland. Consistency.
To me in n out tastes a little different when I have it in Dallas. Very close but just off a tad in some way.
Funny, I had wb in Phoenix just last week. We only had the whata jr but it tasted good. I bet their all time favs are a tad off there too. When I lived out west those that had wb weren't fans either :/

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post

If you HAVE to get a drive-thru burger, Wendy's is way better than Whataburger. Too bad there are no Back Yard Burgers around.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
If you HAVE to get a drive-thru burger, Wendy's is way better than Whataburger. Too bad there are no Back Yard Burgers around.
Taste is subjective, but your taste is subjectively wrong.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Quote:
I still prefer Whataburger Haven't heard a mention of Back Yard Burgers since I was lucky enough to escape Memphis 25 years ago (they were pretty good then IIRC).

Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There was a White Castle not too long ago (maybe 3 years) along 1960. I don't know if it's still there. But I'm pretty sure it's gone.

I hate fast food burgers. Just not worth the calories. I think Pappa's Burgers and a few other single owned joints are worth the splurge....every once and a great while.
The best burgers in Houston are found at Beck's Prime. I don't know why people always forget about them. I went to Five Guys the other day and paid over $10.00 for a burger and fries. If I'm going to shell out that kind of dough, I'm going to Beck's.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:50 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post

I tried the thick n hearty burger in Houston, and it was also gross. Not a fan of those at all. The whataburgers are great though. Tried Carl's Jr. a couple of times and wasn't impressed. I'm anxious to try the In N Out burgers just to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm already weary because they put mayo on their burgers.

But as I said above, I'd be willing to dump all the In N Outs, Whataburgers, and Carl's Jrs. if they would just build more Beck's Prime locations.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM

352 posts, read 778,670 times
WHITE CASTLE is where its at anyways.

Those sliders just do something to my soul

Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,344 times
Thrillist seems to think Beck's Prime may have national legs....

The Next Five Guys - Fast Growing Chain Restaurants

Not sure where they get their info. Personally, I don't agree. Just don't see the differentiation for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston