Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Gov. Scott answered this. Fuel tankers have to be able to to travel back and forth.
And when you have long stretches w/o access roads you pay the price at times like this--IMO...
But at least they ARE bringing fuel...
Some people didn't think he would do it...

My family staying put they decided...didn't want to risk being aught short on freeway w/o gas...and there were cars pulled over, abandoned because of no gas...
None of their friends are leaving
But they are SRQ, North Port area--not Miami area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Original 1995. There are two small ones not boarded and 2 tiny ones in bathrooms not boarded. Also the sliding door in back isn't boarded, not sure if it's made any different. Goes out to lanai.. which at this point not sure if will still be there through this. Yes we will be closing all doors inside before we leave for shelter.
I am not trying to blame you for anything...
I found out last night that instead of getting another panel,of the heavy clear polynstuff for our window over kitchen sink my husband used piece of vinyl from Lowe's or someplace...
So now I am worried

Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
interesting how the average of the American models have it eventually meandering up to DC, whereas the Euro averages are a lot more uniform and show it petering out a lot earlier.

Group of simulations from American (blue) and European (red) computer models from Thursday night. Each color strand represents a different model simulation with slight tweaks to initial conditions. Note that the strands are clustered together where the forecast track is most confident but they diverge where the course of the storm is less certain. The bold red line is the average of all of the European model simulations, while the blue is the average of all the American model simulations.(StormVistaWxModels.com)

Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It must be pure chaos in South Florida right now. I cannot imagine. I feel so bad for pets and people dealing with this. I hope everyone keeps their composure.

I heard its taking like 10 hrs to go what would normally be a 3-4 hr drive and people are running out of gas ... Rest stops are jammed. Stations running out of gas and water...

Why didn't they turn the southbound lanes into able to go north??????? Gees.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/905699646256943104
I'm not worried anymore, west coast might be in trouble though.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I'm not worried anymore, west coast might be in trouble though.
Lol.... so you're staying in Key Biscayne? Smart..

Old 09-08-2017, 10:28 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Irma is currently in the process of eye wall replacement. A larger eye is replacing a smaller eye. If the eye is larger, it means the strongest winds will be further out from the centre of the storm. So if Irma doesn't make landfall in Miami, it doesn't mean much at all because it could still get the strongest winds.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Lol.... so you're staying in Key Biscayne? Smart..
No, I'm not.

I'm no longer worried about my home or possessions is what I meant.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,318,567 times
For those staying in Fla.

Please do not underestimate the damage and destruction that storm surge can cause. When we went through Sandy which wasn't anywhere near as bad as Irma, it was the storm surge that wiped away many homes and took lives with it. Stay safe please. no house is worth loss of life. Prayers and positive thoughts sent your way.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:39 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Irma is currently in the process of eye wall replacement. A larger eye is replacing a smaller eye. If the eye is larger, it means the strongest winds will be further out from the centre of the storm. So if Irma doesn't make landfall in Miami, it doesn't mean much at all because it could still get the strongest winds.
ERC is complete now
https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/statu...91751613952000

Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Looks like the European model was correct and the spaghetti strings moved over father left .. I am in Cape Coral and with what they are predicting now the Cape will get 80 mph sustained winds with gusts to 120 mph.. I am in a strict code home. I just hope it will hold up.. Many homes here have metal hurricane shutters held in by bolts attached to the homes around all windows to keep projectiles from coming into the homes.

Pray for Florida. There are many mobile homes here . I just hope they got out and went to a shelter or evacuated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes