Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
As for all the preachers on here who thump the Book against lying, I say this: WHEN YOU PAY MY RENT AND PUT FOOD ON MY TABLE, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO. Until then, shut up. SHUT UP ALREADY. You make me laugh hysterically. I don't see the truthsayers creating jobs and supporting legislation that helps people get living wage jobs. All I see you doing is kicking the long term unemployed, who are already down.

I am going to do whatever I need to do to get a job. I don't give a flying hoot who likes that or not. You don't like it? Too bad. Too sad. Life isn't fair. Get over it. Mind your business. When you start paying my rent and food, then you can tell me what to do and enforce that. Until then, I hear you not.
People like you are why, in the last couple of years, companies that didn't before have started doing background checks, credit checks, and actually calling references.

So, next time you are unable to get a job, or the application is long and full of hurdles, stand up, walk to a mirror, and thank the person staring back at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
If one wants people to "mind their business" perhaps one should refrain from posting their business on public forums on the Internet. Wouldn't you agree?

Since the OP posted her dilemma here and asked for opinions, why do others posting their opinions offend you so?
This is one of my very favorite phenomenon of internet message boards.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And you wonder why these people have to resort to lying to get a job....
Point taken. Well said.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,043 times
For those that honestly and genuinely believe that all those who lie "get there's", you are willingly rejecting what reality has shown time and time again, don't pay any attention to politics, don't know anything about high level finance, corporate greed, the bottom line, or even the history of man. In fact, I can't believe the sort of self-assuring, self-justifying twaddle I'm hearing here. That goes for both sides! Still, the lovely little psychology used whenever people speak of Karma and believe things are actually fair makes me cackle like a monster.

Anyway, faking a W2 is stupid. Creating employers that don't exist is stupid. Self-Employed is the proper "embellishment" I see used on multiple applications, which of course I and my colleagues trash immediately.

Stretching the truth, embellishing, spinning things to come out favorable, or any of the catch phrases people like to use to pat themselves on the back for being innovative are still lies. Strictly speaking, the degree of the lie doesn't matter. It's still a lie. Deal with it. Seriously, you people make me laugh. Maybe some of you haven't stretched the truth or what have you on application or in an interview when "selling yourself" but the fact is it is indeed the norm. Some 70% of applicant today do it. Behaviour on such a level is also unlikely to be a new phenomenon. This doesn't apply only to jobs...so please don't act like the op is some lunatic child molesting priest being protected by his church.

The rub is there's nothing inherently malicious or wrong about telling a lie to promote yourself when it can be backed up by some modicrum of qualification. In fact, it's probably the only form that can't simply be used to vilify us, since it's an aggregate of our experiences, psychology, and social exposure distilled into moral vs reality benefit. Point is people get it because so many people do it. Cry about humanity but that's that. We're ****ing allowed to lie to some degree; so long as your lie doesn't threaten someone's life or livelihood, or verge into fraudulence and such, there's no problem. Not morally at least. May or may not get you far in employment depending on how good a liar you are, but that's neither here nor there.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
The fact is anyone who decides to be completely honest in the hiring process will never get hired. The application and job interviews are radically efficient at exposing even the most minute flaws, or even perceived flaws, in a person and HR people are very good at using them to stereotype people out of employment. Ever been fired, unemployable, have more than a few months gap of employment in your entire life, unemployable, not an extreme extrovert, unemployable, don't have 5 years experience doing the exact same job with the exact same equipment under the exact same guidelines, unemployable, have any supervisor you ever worked for not giving rave reviews, unemployable, had to many jobs in too short a time, unemployable don't have a GPA above 3.5, unemployable.

Fall into any of these traps and you can either lie and spin your way around the HR barricade or find a nice cardboard box under a bridge and live there the rest of your life. I've been through enough interviews to see that the purpose is to tear you down and screen you out.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The fact is anyone who decides to be completely honest in the hiring process will never get hired. The application and job interviews are radically efficient at exposing even the most minute flaws, or even perceived flaws, in a person and HR people are very good at using them to stereotype people out of employment. Ever been fired, unemployable,

Hmmmm...I have been fired and I am currently employed.

have more than a few months gap of employment in your entire life, unemployable,

I lost my job in 2011. Went back to school. Had some time after school before I started my current job...4 months in fact. So, technically, I went from mid 2011 to mid 2012 with no job, and I got my current job.

not an extreme extrovert, unemployable,

Probably the quietest person in my office...yet today I was given more responsibility and a small raise. Interesting.

don't have 5 years experience doing the exact same job with the exact same equipment under the exact same guidelines, unemployable,

My current job is the first one I have had in the new area of HR. I have never done it before this job...yet, I got my job.

have any supervisor you ever worked for not giving rave reviews, unemployable,

HAH...one of my supervisors likely has a voodoo doll of me. So, that one is out.

had to many jobs in too short a time, unemployable

I was in retail before my current job. So, each job was about a year in length...which is standard for retail, but not office work. Yet, I was hired....

don't have a GPA above 3.5, unemployable.

3.3 GPA...yet, I am employed. It's a miracle.

Fall into any of these traps and you can either lie and spin your way around the HR barricade

My GPA, employment gaps, job history, and lack of experience are all on my resume. Fascinating.

or find a nice cardboard box under a bridge and live there the rest of your life. I've been through enough interviews to see that the purpose is to tear you down and screen you out.
Unemployable. That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
I think what you did to lie was very extreme, knowing you were applying for a job that did a background check.

That being said I wouldn't have resigned, I would have come clean and said you put a fake job on your resume because no one was calling you back, and said "if you want me to just resign I will."

But that doesn't even matter now since you have resigned and it's done.

My suggestion is to go volunteer at places and put THAT on your resume so that an employer can see you aren't just sitting around at home.

Also, I don't think it's wrong to omit a few things. My current job when asked why I left my last job, I said I left to return to my home state and that the job wasn't working out for me. No way am I going to tell them I was fired! Because TBH I'm 100% sure if someone else did what I did, they would still be there.

I should probably thank them though, not only am I back with family, my husband and I both have even better jobs now and are making even MORE money than we have ever made

OP- this is probably a blessing in disguise, keep applying, something better will come along.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM

38 posts, read 200,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I think what you did to lie was very extreme, knowing you were applying for a job that did a background check.

That being said I wouldn't have resigned, I would have come clean and said you put a fake job on your resume because no one was calling you back, and said "if you want me to just resign I will."

But that doesn't even matter now since you have resigned and it's done.

My suggestion is to go volunteer at places and put THAT on your resume so that an employer can see you aren't just sitting around at home.

Also, I don't think it's wrong to omit a few things. My current job when asked why I left my last job, I said I left to return to my home state and that the job wasn't working out for me. No way am I going to tell them I was fired! Because TBH I'm 100% sure if someone else did what I did, they would still be there.

I should probably thank them though, not only am I back with family, my husband and I both have even better jobs now and are making even MORE money than we have ever made

OP- this is probably a blessing in disguise, keep applying, something better will come along.
They told me the background check would be 100% complete before I started, if it wasn't I wouldn't yet start. I do volunteer 3 times a week at my local dog shelter. And it is on my resume. I still wasn't getting any calls.

I'm fortunate my boyfriend is very successful and makes enough money to be supportive while I have been unemployed. Sometimes he doesn't really get how hard it is. He has a very stable career and a Ph.D.

I resigned because I didn't want to admit it to them, even though they already knew. I don't know if me admitting holds some legal stand point. But I'm at peace with my decision.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
"Ilk"??? LOL!!

You don't lie about anything that can be VERIFIED.

Well, not "you", but to those who NEED A JOB.
Not everyone who needs a job is under-qualified with a lack of experience. Most people who lie on a job application/resume are doing it to compensate for things they don't have. Lying really is a last resort. Not everyone is in that position and when you've worked to earn things like a college degree or relevant work experience so that you aren't forced to be in a position to lie, it makes sense to disagree with condoning (and encouraging) lying.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
As for all the preachers on here who thump the Book against lying, I say this: WHEN YOU PAY MY RENT AND PUT FOOD ON MY TABLE, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO. Until then, shut up. SHUT UP ALREADY. When you start paying my rent and food, then you can tell me what to do and enforce that. Until then, I hear you not.
Are you collecting unemployment or food stamps? If so, we are paying for your food and rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search