Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,660 times

Advertisements

Would you lie on your resume? poll results from link below. On different but related subject me and my wife firmly believe the US census data on edu attainment is far from correct. With so many fake degrees in the market and people that just flat out lie I can't believe people correctly fill out the census document. When the term "such and such degree is a dime a dozen" we know better.

Would you lie on your resume?
No. Never.
(1895)
40%

Maybe. It depends on the job.
(454)
9%

Maybe. I'd stretch the truth a little.
(1005)
21%

Yes. Companies don't always check.
(367)
7%

Yes. Whatever it takes to get the job.
(951)
20%

Would You Lie On Your Resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Although I am against "faking W2s or tax returns", there are plenty, in fact much more than plenty, of employers that I consequently would FIRE as well. AND I HAVE BEFORE. I have quit several employers because I found their treatment of myself and other workers to be absolutely INHUMANE. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have had some employers who totally "lacked ethics and morals." They were so selfish and evil that I wouldn't even give them the crumb off my table. And they were selfish and evil for the sole reason "that they could be". Sense of self entitlement. Pretentious and overinflated ego.

If anyone is "ethically challenged" it is the American corporations. They promote the general unethical behavior across the board. They are so biased against ordinary people, so picky because they're self inflated ego says "they can be" , that they obviously force people to omit things or even lie in order to get hired. It's biologically natural. Social Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Adaptation to changes in the environment.
By INHUMANE, do you mean you left these employers because they expected you to be honest? Guessing that would be inhumane....to you.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It's none of the employer's business. A few states have already passed laws making asking for this illegal. Hmmmmm, wonder why??

LOL! My current job isn't "crap". I like it. Got it through a hookup and did not lie about anything. I didn't have to.

LMFAO!!!!! "Ethical moral compass!"" I freaking love it!!! Ha! Ha!

Yes, um, Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs, Countrywide, Washington Mutual, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, George W. Bush, many on Wall Street and the world's rich. Our "ethical moral compass" leaders! LMFAO!!

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was worth $16 billion dollars in 2009 (the beginning of the recession) and his wealth rose $6 billion by 2012 to a new net worth of $22 billion.

How the hell does your net worth go up by BILLIONS in the worst recession the world has ever seen??

"Ethical Moral Compass" my _____.
Which ones? And please back up your statements with links to actual states. Oh, and making up links doesn;t count....

Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM

245 posts, read 382,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
Listen people, this is my post. If you want to insult and berate others, please do it elsewhere.

You can come clean or quit as long as you know better now. People have lied on their resume and held jobs for years only to come bite them in the rear in the future. It's better to come clean now and don't let it sear your conscious.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM

328 posts, read 682,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
Well I had a thread hear earlier based on a lie I told on an application and asking what background checks show. The company I interviewed with 4 times gave me an offer last week and told me background check had to be completed by Friday before I could start. Well they had me start Monday so I assumed the background info came back fine. Then today I get a call from HR (corporate is in another state) saying they couldnt verify some of the information. They said they want a W2 and of course I don't have one. So I told her I would call her back with the info.

I don't know if my manager was told or not yet. But I left work at 2 since I'm only training and the days are shorted until I'm fullly trained. So I thought about coming clean and telling the truth but I figure that may hurt me even more so I'm just going to quit and say its not a good fit. I'm super embarrassed and ashamed. So the bottom line is dont lie.

I got so desperate being out of work..I thought I was bettering my life after a past of being a screw up. But I just made it worse.
Lesson learned. I would resign and tell them it is not a fit, that is your only choice. Never, never submit a forged W2. They are not stupid, and they will, as part of NORMAL procedure, call your employer on that W2 for verification. You are not going to beat a smart HR person. Do not lie anymore, lesson learned. And do not attempt to excuse your actions with them--regardless of what you say--they will fire you because that is a major breach of ethics in any company and a clear indication to them of your future work ethics.
You learned a lesson, move on.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
You are not going to beat a smart HR person.
HR people are not smart.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
That is why you pick a company that went bankrupt or doesn't exist anymore.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
hr people are not smart.
+1000

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is why you pick a company that went bankrupt or doesn't exist anymore.
Exactly! And there are millions of those.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Which ones? And please back up your statements with links to actual states. Oh, and making up links doesn;t count....
Sorry, my mistake. It's not asking for W2s, but performing credit checks.

Employers Can't Check Credit Report | NBC 7 San Diego

I'm sure the W2 nonsense will follow suit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search