Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OP, even though this sucks right now, it's better that it ended after the first day. Just because you got the job doesn't mean your information would never be checked again. I shared this story before on a thread about lying on resumes, I'll share it again:

At a place I used to work, a girl worked there for three years, had moved up, was doing well, well liked, and was asked to come on board to a prestigious position that many coveted and many could not get. She was perfect for the position and would have done exceptionally well, I believe.

But...

Even though it had been three years since she had started working there, with this prestigious position, in the same company, they pulled up her information again.
Which begs the question of why people need to lie to get jobs they're clearly more than capable of doing. I think this says as much about HR departments as it does about lying to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,758 times
Who said it was just you? You are simply the most vociferous.

And why would anyone try to shame you? A pointless activity. You advocate lying-shame is something that doesn't concern you.

Judging by your number of posts in this thread, seems you are the one that needs to "get over it!"

Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Lifetime Accomplishments-Writing Assignment

It is the desire of Fujifilm to explore to the fullest degree possible a potential employee’s strength, weaknesses, talents and gifts. Furthermore, it is our belief that a person should be suited to a job in which they can use their unique strengths and gifts during the majority of their working hours.

A person’s strengths, talents and gifts have usually been consistently displayed in one’s life since early childhood up to present day. These unique characteristics are often best seen through the multiple significant accomplishments, achievements, events or situations in an individual’s life.

Your challenge is to think back in your life, from the earliest points possible to the present moment, and write a short narrative on two significant memories that have in common something you did well and enjoyed doing. Also, explain each of these memories as outlined below. If you have any questions about this, please ask, because this exercise largely influences our evaluation of every prospective employee.

Please follow these directions:

1. Name and describe the specific memory (i.e., experience, achievement, accomplishment, etc.) and your approximate age at the time.

2. State what you remember about the details surrounding this memory.

3. Each narrative should have in common that it was something that you did well and enjoyed doing. Both characteristics (did well and enjoyed doing) must have been present. Both are necessary because often in life we achieve significant accomplishments, but our heart really was not in it, and we really did not enjoy
doing it. Please pay careful attention to these criteria.

4. Describe why this event or accomplishment was so significant in helping you understand your strengths, talents and “gifts”.

5. Describe why it so enjoyable.

Below is a real life example from another person’s Lifetime Accomplishments.

An executive recalled one of her favorite memories as a child growing up on a farm. Apparently, one day she found a bird in the barnyard that had a broken wing. She remembered taking thread and wrapping it around the bird’s broken wing.

Over several weeks she nurtured the bird, both feeding it and ensuring that the wing was healing correctly. Her greatest joy came on the day when she was able to go in the barnyard, throw the bird up in the air, and see it fly away.

Do you know what this executive’s job is today? She is a highly skilled, corporate turn-around artist. She is an expert in fixing broken companies, restoring them to health, then letting them fly on their own. Her true gifts and abilities are found in her thrill for fixing broken companies, and yet those same skills would be skills that would be very harmful if she stayed in a company long-term.
Holy mother of God. HR getting played by some ridiculous fabricated story about a bird with a broken wing. And people wonder why some feel that they need to lie to get jobs.

I can picture that person hysterically laughing about how HR bought their ridiculous cheeseball story and hired them. To this day they probably laugh out loud every time they think about it, I'm sure it's a big hit at parties. Hell I laughed out loud just reading that inane drivel. Hard work, integrity, loyalty, intelligence...HR doesn't care about these things, just how active your imagination is.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Holy mother of God. HR getting played by some ridiculous fabricated story about a bird with a broken wing. And people wonder why some feel that they need to lie to get jobs.

I can picture that person hysterically laughing about how HR bought their ridiculous cheeseball story and hired them. To this day they probably laugh out loud every time they think about it, I'm sure it's a big hit at parties. Hell I laughed out loud just reading that inane drivel. Hard work, integrity, loyalty, intelligence...HR doesn't care about these things, just how active your imagination is.
Yea I actually threw something together for that job and it went nowhere. I learned a valueble lesson though. When HR bimbos start jerking you around and giving "assignments" it is best to just walk away. That wasn't the only time some useless HR person tried to give me assignments like it was third grade.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 AM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
The fact is anyone who decides to be completely honest in the hiring process will never get hired. The application and job interviews are radically efficient at exposing even the most minute flaws, or even perceived flaws, in a person and HR people are very good at using them to stereotype people out of employment. Ever been fired, unemployable, have more than a few months gap of employment in your entire life, unemployable, not an extreme extrovert, unemployable, don't have 5 years experience doing the exact same job with the exact same equipment under the exact same guidelines, unemployable, have any supervisor you ever worked for not giving rave reviews, unemployable, had to many jobs in too short a time, unemployable don't have a GPA above 3.5, unemployable.

Fall into any of these traps and you can either lie and spin your way around the HR barricade or find a nice cardboard box under a bridge and live there the rest of your life. I've been through enough interviews to see that the purpose is to tear you down and screen you out.
That is not true. I have never lied on an application nor do I lie in an interview. I am currently employed, full time. Extensive back ground checks, extensive other tests. I don't need to lie.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 AM

38 posts, read 200,714 times
I'm ok with the fact that I quit. Its been quite a relief. I have told my boyfriend and my parents the truth of the situation. Even though I'm old enough to not have to explain myself, I wanted to be honest. My boyfriend is very good to me and I wanted him to know everything. He was very supportive and I'm very fortunate to have him by my side.

I actually have an interview scheduled for Tuesday.

This job that I lied to get, was requiring me to work hours I didn't really want to work once training was done. It worked out for the best.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM

602 posts, read 574,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
As for all the preachers on here who thump the Book against lying, I say this: WHEN YOU PAY MY RENT AND PUT FOOD ON MY TABLE, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO. Until then, shut up. SHUT UP ALREADY. You make me laugh hysterically. I don't see the truthsayers creating jobs and supporting legislation that helps people get living wage jobs. All I see you doing is kicking the long term unemployed, who are already down.

I am going to do whatever I need to do to get a job. I don't give a flying hoot who likes that or not. You don't like it? Too bad. Too sad. Life isn't fair. Get over it. Mind your business. When you start paying my rent and food, then you can tell me what to do and enforce that. Until then, I hear you not.

You keep lying to employers and all of us WILL end up having to pay for your food/rent.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Although I am against "faking W2s or tax returns", there are plenty, in fact much more than plenty, of employers that I consequently would FIRE as well. AND I HAVE BEFORE. I have quit several employers because I found their treatment of myself and other workers to be absolutely INHUMANE. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have had some employers who totally "lacked ethics and morals." They were so selfish and evil that I wouldn't even give them the crumb off my table. And they were selfish and evil for the sole reason "that they could be". Sense of self entitlement. Pretentious and overinflated ego.

If anyone is "ethically challenged" it is the American corporations. They promote the general unethical behavior across the board. They are so biased against ordinary people, so picky because they're self inflated ego says "they can be" , that they obviously force people to omit things or even lie in order to get hired. It's biologically natural. Social Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Adaptation to changes in the environment.
Let me guess: They wanted you to actually come in on time? Not make personal calls during work? Not leave early?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
On the contrary I am very happy in my job now and love the company I work for now. However, I will always remember how I was treated by over a dozen other companies.

Yeah, maybe it's not the employers with the problem.

13+ jobs?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Yeah, maybe it's not the employers with the problem.

13+ jobs?
Given the fact I'm thriving and getting raises even while temp agencies and others are constantly callling me/posting ads for the same positions at the same companies I doubt it. A lot of companies just don't deserve skilled hard working employees and they don't get them or keep them for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search