Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would choose the person who emailed the resume because it would seem like that person has more options than the person who hand delivered the resume.
So you would pick the person who chooses an option that takes 20 seconds (sending an email) over taking an hour + to come down and see the company in person?

Would you really rather work with some lazy slob who is emailing out resumes while eating cheetoes in his pajamas over someone who puts a suit on and puts some effort into a job hunt?

Where do you work? I want to make sure I tell everyone I know not to apply there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you would pick the person who chooses an option that takes 20 seconds (sending an email) over taking an hour + to come down and see the company in person?

Would you really rather work with some lazy slob who is emailing out resumes while eating cheetoes in his pajamas over someone who puts a suit on and puts some effort into a job hunt?

Where do you work? I want to make sure I tell everyone I know not to apply there.

Someone showing up at my company with a suit on without an invitation would make it very easy for me to think they are on some type of drugs.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
This just in: Crazed gunman shoots up TV studio.

Milton J. Plunk, unemployed camera operator, after
being "humiliated" by an office full of TV professionals
after trying to hand them a resume, returned the
following afternoon with an assult rifle and killed
them all. "I just couldn't take being unemployed
and laughed at, said Mr. Plunk."

Later, on city-data, after thirty minutes, it became
apparent that TVandSportsGuy was no longer
bombarding the forum with job hunting "tips."

-- it could happen --

Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
This just in: Crazed gunman shoots up TV studio.

Milton J. Plunk, unemployed camera operator, after
being "humiliated" by an office full of TV professionals
after trying to hand them a resume, returned the
following afternoon with an assult rifle and killed
them all. "I just couldn't take being unemployed
and laughed at, said Mr. Plunk."

Later, on city-data, after thirty minutes, it became
apparent that TVandSportsGuy was no longer
bombarding the forum with job hunting "tips."

-- it could happen --

Here is another tip-"always try and increase your appeal when job hunting"

You lose appeal by

Calling a company
Showing up at a company
Calling after a interview

Something I never did and ended up landing a job. It's called having APPEAL!!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Here is another tip-"always try and increase your appeal when job hunting"

You lose appeal by

Calling a company
Showing up at a company
Calling after a interview

Something I never did and ended up landing a job. It's called having APPEAL!!
This brilliance from someone who was let go because of poor job performance and finally landed a mediocre position as a Student Employment Counselor with a mediocre company which offers nothing in the way of advancement.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Anyone who has the nerve to laugh at a person dropping off his or her resume just looking for work should realize that there is NOTHING wrong with this tactic and yes, you too could easily get your *** booted and have to resort to 'everything' you can think of to maybe get an interview or job.

When I was younger this was a perfectly 'legit' way to get your resume to the company.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This brilliance from someone who was let go because of poor job performance and finally landed a mediocre position as a Student Employment Counselor with a mediocre company which offers nothing in the way of advancement.

You have to make Employers want YOU AND ONLY YOU!!!

Kind of like how you want me

Old 10-12-2009, 06:03 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,812 times
I'm from the old school where you had to pound the pavement and go cold calling for employment. If I was in a position where I needed a job, I do believe I'd be walking into a whole bunch of places looking for work. But, thank goodness I never had to deal with someone as clueless as some of the employment counselors on this board.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I assume that you are getting better and better, as time goes by,
at getting these people to cease and go away.
Most get the hint when I tell them I'll give it to the appropriate person and turn back to my computer. Some don't, or are blinded by desperation.

Quote:
In any case, my point is still the same. The job-seeker cannot be bothered by worrying about whether they have annoyed someone by stopping by.

If you are annoyed by the job-seeker then who cares?
They should when I shred their resume because they are rude/obnoxious/annoying/stupid.

Quote:
I realize that you do, but how has that effected the job-seeker's
chances for getting a job elsewhere? -- not at all. That's what matters.
Elsewhere, fine, not my problem.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times
THere's an interesting strategy in Dan Miller's book that Dave Ramsey talks about on is radio show. I belive the book is "48 Days to the Work You LOve". In it, he recommends a three step strategy to find a job in the hidden market. By mail send an introduction letter of a few sentences to the person that would hire you. Someone specific. In the letter tell the person you will be mailing a resume and cover letter in a few days. About one week or so after mailing the resume and cover letter do a follow up call to make sure it arrived. The person who you are attempting to contact has now heard/seen your name three times. Its a very effective marketing strategy and, though its a longer process, I believe its more effective than emailing the information which oftentimes gets deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search