Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:59 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

Of the few job interviews I've had I've been offered a job at all of them.

From an April 1, 2009 article Plumbing contractors are the only choice

Quote:
The incorporation of amendment RB64-07/08 in the International Residential Code for fire sprinklers, requiring that fire sprinklers be installed in all single family homes constructed after Jan. 1, 2011, will have a dramatic impact on the demand for qualified design and installation technicians. In addition, the demand for licensed contractors will experience a corresponding rise since most states and jurisdictions have some form of contractor licensing requirements.
and this one

Quote:
Insurance is a barrier that the market place will address. There are reports that plumbing contractors who contacted their brokers have been quoted extravagant premiums when adding fire sprinkler installation to their business coverage. Others report that some insurance carriers are beginning to extend coverage for fire sprinkler installation, providing that a qualified third party is supplying an approved system design.
If you fit the qualifications you will get a job in a market that has always been tight and about to get tighter.

If I showed up unannoucned I guarantee I would get an interview probably because I would be the only one to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM

125 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester Prynne 417 View Post
I have been in the trenches lately, albeit as someone who is still employed. In the last year and a half, I applied to 14 jobs and I received 12 invites for interviews, so you're right that's not actually 99%. I work in higher education and there is always hiring being done at the various colleges and universities in my state. In fact, I recommend higher education as a relatively stable field for someone to pursue. It's one of the few industries that doesn't value youth over experience.

Back to the topic, as an office hiring manager (which I currently am), I would not be impressed by someone stopping in. It screams of desperation on their part and inconsideration of my time.
Good for you, you are in one of the very very few professions that are actually hiring during this recession. You think you got those interviews simply because you were "qualified, experienced, and followed instructions"? Please.

The problem the rest of us face isn't being qualified, experienced, and following instructions; it's getting a leg up over the other hundreds of people who are also qualified, experienced, and following instructions. I'm not looking for a shortcut or 'easy way in' here.

Some might see it as 'screaming of desperation', but not everyone. And you sure couldn't tell that to those who have managed to land nice jobs by taking the initiative to get out there using this method.

So short of going back to school and changing professions, I fail to see your point.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
If you don't make that much of an impression face to face when you drop off a resume, then you don't have anything to worry about. Apparently you are very easily forgotten. Most professionals remember annoying people. You asked for an opinion, you can disagree with my opinion all you want, but, it is my opinion, and I have earned it thru years of experience. If you don't want to listen to other people's opinions, don't ask. Simple as that.
Instead of pissing and moaning about how I don't agree with you. Why don't you instead explain to me again how "if there is a job opening, it will be posted"? THAT is what I don't agree with you on. Because it's just flat out misinformation. Again, that's not my opinion, it's just a fact (again, look it up). I AM listening to everyone's opinion on here about 'how a person is perceived when they walk into an office'. So far we have many yays and nays. About what I expected.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ
If you don't make that much of an impression face to face when you drop off a resume,
then you don't have anything to worry about.
You could also say:

If you make a good impression face to face when you drop off a resume,
then you don't have anything to worry about.

Quote:
Apparently you are very easily forgotten.
Who is? Why?

Anyone willing to walk the streets to knock on doors to get a job
has to expect that they will mostly be forgotten.
If someone isn't hiring, you are about as important as the door-to-door
salesperson looking to sell you something you don't need.

You have to expect that. It doesn't mean walking the streets
is totally ineffective. You're saying it is.

Quote:
You asked for an opinion, you can disagree with my opinion all you want, ...
If you don't want to listen to other people's opinions, don't ask. Simple as that.
It's a discussion board and we are having an argument.

If you don't want people to disagree with your opinion, don't post. Simple as that.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
I don't see any downside to this. I would say over half of available jobs are never advertised, you have to know someone to get it. I know my current job was never on a web site. If I didn't get to know someone who was pretty high up in the company, I would never have gotten the job. Keep it brief and professional. If they tell you they don't have time to talk, ask for an appointment. Say you want to set up an 'informational interview' with one of the managers.

More than anything else, remember this: People love to talk about themselves. Tell a manager you are very interested in what they do and say you would love to take them out to lunch and talk about their work. Who in their right mind would turn down a free lunch and an opportunity to brag about themselves? After you listen to him/her talk about their job for an hour or so, casually ask about openings. I guarentee you will be thought of more favorably than anyone who applies through a website.

There is a right and wrong way to do this, but I don't see how it isn't worth trying. Wayne Gretzky once put it this way, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Some companies list their HR addresses and actually invite people to drop in their resumes, if they don't have the ability to do it electronically. You could pretend to be one such and state a general area of interest.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Hey you can't blame people for trying. i hand carried my resume to a company one time (a few days after applying online). The lady at the front desk seemed annoyed, but a few days later I got the interview.....

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester Prynne 417 View Post
It is important to follow directions. Standing out does not get you a job; it gets you noticed in a bad way as someone who is unprofessional and does not know the rules of jobseeking. The way to get noticed for a job is to be a qualified, experienced candidate. The only jobs I know where you can walk in off the street and maybe talk to a hiring manager are fast-food positions.

I have been invited for an interview to 99% of the jobs I've applied to online because I only apply to jobs where I fit the criteria. I'm not trying to kick anyone while they are down. I am a single mom and I can only imagine how desperate I would be if I were unemployed. But there is no "magic trick" to getting hired.

Exactly, you will not get a career job by just showing up and asking-"are you hiring? Maybe in Walmart that will work.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, you will not get a career job by just showing up and asking-"are you hiring? Maybe in Walmart that will work.
You need my attention don't you. You were probably bullied as a child. You grew up in a situation in which you felt trapped, helpless, and had no sense of control. This forum has become your crutch. It allows you to feel some sense of control and power that you are lacking in your life. You could care less if you come across as a complete d-bag, as long as you find the attention you crave so much, you are happy. You are a pathetic, pathetic little man.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:14 AM

218 posts, read 755,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Hey you can't blame people for trying. i hand carried my resume to a company one time (a few days after applying online). The lady at the front desk seemed annoyed, but a few days later I got the interview.....
i agree! last job advertised which I applied for and got was back in 1992. it was long distance. Since then, only jobs I was successful at obtaining were ones for which I first called and asked for GMs name, then went in & shook his/their hands introducing myself and handed resume "just in case, for now or in the future. May have just been extremely lucky here, but it worked.

I do have to say that my present job required I do it via website but only due to a cousin having the insidescoop and having them as a refer. (or I would have never known) Every, and I mean every job since 1994 which i went trough the channels, as in through ads and human resources and I couldn't get past a receptionist, has netted a big fat goose egg. Seriously ZERO. these days I would have most hope in going cold turkey, even if just writing a nice coverletter and faxing with my res. but I'd NEED to call and know the guy in charge's name first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search