Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 04:16 PM

243 posts, read 102,408 times

Advertisements

Forgot to say, where we lived in England, I saw a lot of older greyhounds with their owners. I found out that they had a big greyhound rescue group nearby. They took in retired greyhounds.
Poor things, when they’re no longer “ useful “, they get rid of them. They never grow up in a loving home. I’d hate to be the poor dog that lost a race. A lot of these dogs were scared to death of people , so that tells you a lot on how they were treated.
They seemed to have a lot in the Suffolk/ Norfolk County areas.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
You ride? English or Western? I started to ride English when I was in high school. I got to beginning jumping, then we moved and I couldn’t find any stables nearby that gave lessons.
My grandfather on my dad’s side loved Tennessee Walking horses.
He died before I was born. I used to love stories about him.
When we lived in England, we lived near Newmarket, which had horses everywhere. It had those white rails all over the place.
I liked riding through there early in the morning when they were exercising the horses, tons of them.
We had to stop at the crosswalk when they crossed it , then we got to see these gorgeous horses up close with their trainers ,posting away.
I’d get up early, just to go through there
I don’t agree with or would ever attend races. ( It’s just me, have nothing against ones who do)
Too many horses put down because they fracture their delicate legs.
Wait, we're supposed to ride them? They're my wife's pets. She water them, she feed them. They get their workout playing with the deer. We have numerous neighbors with horses also. Have never seen them ride them either.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Wait, we're supposed to ride them? They're my wife's pets. She water them, she feed them. They get their workout playing with the deer. We have numerous neighbors with horses also. Have never seen them ride them either.

And here I thought I was the only one likes horses but doesn't ride them!

Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
A little halachic teaser to get the day going. Let’s figure this out together, yeah?

Reuven asks Shimon to help him move. Shimon agrees and on his way over, finds an abandoned couch in an open field. Shimon decides to grab it and see if Reuven would like it for his new house. Reuven likes and accepts the couch.

6 months pass, and one day Reuven notices the arm rest on the couch removes. After removing the armrest, he finds $6000 buried in it. Clearly the original owner of the couch forgot he put the money in the armrest before abandoning the couch.

So who gets to keep the $6,000, according to halacha? If you don’t know the Halacha, what does your gut tell you?

Does Reuven keep it? After all, he discovered the money. Does Shimon keep it? He found the couch and acquired it before giving it to Reuven? Are they obligated to go find the original owner? Or just cut it down the middle and give the whole thing to tzedaka?

Old 10-27-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
A little halachic teaser to get the day going. Let’s figure this out together, yeah?

Reuven asks Shimon to help him move. Shimon agrees and on his way over, finds an abandoned couch in an open field. Shimon decides to grab it and see if Reuven would like it for his new house. Reuven likes and accepts the couch.

6 months pass, and one day Reuven notices the arm rest on the couch removes. After removing the armrest, he finds $6000 buried in it. Clearly the original owner of the couch forgot he put the money in the armrest before abandoning the couch.

So who gets to keep the $6,000, according to halacha? If you don’t know the Halacha, what does your gut tell you?

Does Reuven keep it? After all, he discovered the money. Does Shimon keep it? He found the couch and acquired it before giving it to Reuven? Are they obligated to go find the original owner? Or just cut it down the middle and give the whole thing to tzedaka?

I'm going to say that Reuven needs to give all the money to Shimon. Even though Shimon wasn't the original owner of the couch (and I can't imagine how one might go about trying to find the original owner of an abandoned couch), Shimon was the last known person in possession of the couch. He gave only the couch to Reuven – he didn't give the money to Reuven. If Shimon had known about the money, he probably wouldn't have given it to Reuven.

They could both decide to give money to tzedaka and that would be nice, but I don't think either one has to do that.

How did I do?

Old 10-27-2019, 08:38 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times
Quote:

Righteousness is greater than money.

Even if he only found 87 cents in change under the cushion.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'm going to say that Reuven needs to give all the money to Shimon. Even though Shimon wasn't the original owner of the couch (and I can't imagine how one might go about trying to find the original owner of an abandoned couch), Shimon was the last known person in possession of the couch. He gave only the couch to Reuven – he didn't give the money to Reuven. If Shimon had known about the money, he probably wouldn't have given it to Reuven.

They could both decide to give money to tzedaka and that would be nice, but I don't think either one has to do that.

How did I do?
Excellent take on it. Let’s see if we can get some more answers before specific feedback.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Excellent take on it. Let’s see if we can get some more answers before specific feedback.

Yay me! I eagerly await the final results! (This is fun! You should do more of these!)

Old 10-27-2019, 10:05 AM

One thing to ask: clearly Shimon acquired the couch when he took it from the abandoned field (or did he?). But since he had no idea the money was in the couch, was he capable of actually acquiring the money?

Old 10-27-2019, 12:52 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
i read an actual case of this happening recently. college students got a junker couch from a thrift store. They got it home and when they were cleaning it, found over $12,000 in cash in the cushions. Turns out when an older woman was hospitalized, her adult daughter "got rid of" the couch because she thought it was old and grungy and even though she knew her mom liked the couch and wanted to keep it, she did it while Mom was in the hospital.

When mom got home from the hospital she was furious on two counts, her adult daughter had done something she'd asked her not to and also she knew the money was hidden in it. Well they tried to get the couch back went immediately to the thrift store. It had already been sold. But the college kids were honest and notified the store, and the money was returned to the older lady. Every dollar of it. I like that story on a lot of levels.

we are to make an effort to return the money. in the case of the couch in the question in this thread, it would be to make every effort to find who left the couch in the field in the first place and return the money to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism