Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I keep wondering how a fast works. When Moses went went up into the mount for 40 days, he fasted 40 days and the way its written suggests he didnt eat or drink water for 40 days but I doubt that is the case. I dont know.
That is indeed the case. And don’t forget he went up 3 different times, in a row. So that’s really 120 days he fasted. One tough dude!

Old 09-24-2020, 07:48 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I keep wondering how a fast works. When Moses went went up into the mount for 40 days, he fasted 40 days and the way its written suggests he didnt eat or drink water for 40 days but I doubt that is the case. I dont know.
Moshe had superpowers. Which is why it is not recommended for any of us to attempt to go without food or water for 40 days. Especially those who are unwell and have been told by their doctors that fasting for any length of time is not recommended.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Moshe had superpowers. Which is why it is not recommended for any of us to attempt to go without food or water for 40 days. Especially those who are unwell and have been told by their doctors that fasting for any length of time is not recommended.
Or said differently, "those who are unwell and have been told by their rabbis that fasting for any length of time is not recommended.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Or said differently, "those who are unwell and have been told by their rabbis that fasting for any length of time is not recommended.
Hopefully, their rabbis will have the wisdom to defer to the recommendations of a qualified physician.

The Rebbe certainly possessed that wisdom, and recognized that following a doctor's orders is a command of Torah origin.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:15 AM

A qualified orthodox rabbi will always want to seek the opinion of a qualified physician as one part of the final halachic decision. But to give the doctor power to decide over the rabbi is not in line with Torah. The Torah is always the final decider. Doctors cannot be trusted with so critical a medical decision.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
A qualified orthodox rabbi will always want to seek the opinion of a qualified physician as one part of the final halachic decision. But to give the doctor power to decide over the rabbi is not in line with Torah. The Torah is always the final decider. Doctors cannot be trusted with so critical a medical decision.
Did you even bother to read what I linked in my previous posting?

A wise rabbi will NOT decide over the recommendations of a qualified physician. Read what I linked please. And please don't advise others to ignore their physicians' recommendations for maintaining their health. Such advice is dangerous -- and NOT in accordance with Torah.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Did you even bother to read what I linked in my previous posting?

A wise rabbi will NOT decide over the recommendations of a qualified physician. Read what I linked please. And please don't advise others to ignore their physicians' recommendations for maintaining their health. Such advice is dangerous -- and NOT in accordance with Torah.
You’re outside of normative Jewish thought on this one, and your advice is dangerous to the Jewish neshama. A rabbi can easily incorporate a doctor’s opinion as a component of an overall decision, but clearly a doctor cannot do the same with what the Torah requires of us. Why would you chose a doctors opinion over that of a doctor plus G-d (ie, the Torah)?

Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Love these kinds of stories...

Time capsule from 1873 found buried in wall of Manchester Jewish Museum

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-jewish-museum

Old 09-24-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
You’re outside of normative Jewish thought on this one, and your advice is dangerous to the Jewish neshama. A rabbi can easily incorporate a doctor’s opinion as a component of an overall decision, but clearly a doctor cannot do the same with what the Torah requires of us. Why would you chose a doctors opinion over that of a doctor plus G-d (ie, the Torah)?
Rachel, go to you Chabad Rav and tell him your have chosen to follow doctors advice without even consulting him, and nothing he says could convince you not to follow doctor’s advice. That you’ve chosen the guidance of secular medicine over the word of Hashem. I’m sure being Chabad, he’ll handle the situation with great empathy and tact, but he’ll surely be disappointed with your approach and will daven that you one day can see Hashem’s ways.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:54 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Rachel, go to you Chabad Rav and tell him your have chosen to follow doctors advice without even consulting him, and nothing he says could convince you not to follow doctor’s advice. That you’ve chosen the guidance of secular medicine over the word of Hashem. I’m sure being Chabad, he’ll handle the situation with great empathy and tact, but he’ll surely be disappointed with your approach and will daven that you one day can see Hashem’s ways.
“ Obey the Doctor, for “A Small Hole in the Body
Causes a Large Hole in the Soul”

It pleased me to receive your letter of the 24th of Cheshvan in which you notify me of the doctor’s report regarding an improvement in the state of your health. May G‑d will it that your health continue to improve, and like our Rebbeim-Nesiim were accustomed to say: “[May it go] from good to even better.”

Understandably, I object to your not meticulously obeying the doctor’s orders, as “Permission was granted the healer to heal.”1

By granting this permission, healing becomes a mitzvah on the part of the healer,2 as well as a notable and great mitzvah on the part of the individual being healed, [i.e.,] “You shall scrupulously guard your health”;3 “It is part of the service of G‑d to insure that one’s body is healthy and whole.”4

Moreover, there is the caution of HaRav HaMaggid [of Mezritch] to his son, the “Malach”: “A small hole in the body causes a large hole in the soul.”5

There are also many other similar expressions and imperatives regarding the importance of maintaining good health. However, I surely don’t need to go on at length about something so simple and clear-cut.

.. This healing will, of course, be impossible to achieve if you do not strictly follow the doctor’s instructions.

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XVIII, p. 72)

Following Doctor’s Orders: A Command of Torah Origin

I was happy to be notified that the doctor has permitted you to return home. May G‑d will it that your health continues to improve.

Surely I need not remind you that the Torah granted “permission to the healer to heal,” and thus this directive is of Torah [and not Rabbinic] origin.” - Read the rest here https://www.chabad.org/therebbe/lett...structions.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism