Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times

Advertisements

One thing needs to be said. Don't give people medical advice on City-Data. That's always a bad idea. Somebody might take the advice and have a bad outcome. People deal with their rabbis as they understand they need to. Don't try to push your understanding onto people who may understand that relationship in a different way from the way you understand it. If you want to say how you understand it, say it is how you understand it, or how your rabbi does things.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:46 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One thing needs to be said. Don't give people medical advice on City-Data. That's always a bad idea. Somebody might take the advice and have a bad outcome. People deal with their rabbis as they understand they need to. Don't try to push your understanding onto people who may understand that relationship in a different way from the way you understand it. If you want to say how you understand it, say it is how you understand it, or how your rabbi does things.
Amen.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:00 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
As always, thanks for your excellent moderation. I couldn’t agree with you any more. G-d forbid anyone here should give medical advice. Of course being a Judaism forum, I’m sure we all can agree discussing what a Rabbi might say on any particular subject is in bounds.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:02 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
As always, thanks for your excellent moderation. I couldn’t agree with you any more. G-d forbid anyone here should give medical advice. Of course being a Judaism forum, I’m sure we all can agree discussing what a Rabbi might say on any particular subject is in bounds.
Have you read my post on the subject?...

Old 09-24-2020, 05:05 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Have you read my post on the subject?...
Your post on the subject was from the same link that I'd already posted. The very words of the Rebbe himself (of righteous memory).

Following Doctor’s Orders: A Command of Torah Origin

Not only should people not be giving medical advice on this forum that is best left to a qualified physician, no one should be telling others to ignore their physician's advice. What one chooses for oneself is one thing. Don't insist to others that they are in spiritual danger for obeying their doctor. Others may belong to Jewish communities (such as Chabad/Lubavitch) that interpret things differently from you.

The above wasn't directed at you, Richard.

@mensaguy: Thanks for your previous post.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 09-24-2020 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 05:10 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Your post on the subject was from the same link that I'd already posted. The very words of the Rebbe himself (of righteous memory).

Following Doctor’s Orders: A Command of Torah Origin
Yep...

Old 09-25-2020, 02:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
So? No more Chicken soup, AKA Jewish Penicillin? Or Guggle muggle?

Old 09-25-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
So? No more Chicken soup, AKA Jewish Penicillin? Or Guggle muggle?
We Jews can't even agree on guggle muggle! LOL Quote below from "Two Grandmothers, Two Guggle Muggles"

Quote:
For the uninitiated, guggla muggla (or guggle muggle, if you must) is a Jewish cold-fighting concoction of mysterious origins and disputed pronunciations and ingredients. Depending on your Bubbe, it might have been made with milk, sugar, and egg; milk and honey; or, for the unlucky, milk, tea, and schmaltz (chicken fat). My grandma made her “guggla muggla” with warm milk, honey, and vanilla. My husband’s grandma made her “guggle muggle” with egg, sugar, and milk. Hence the disagreement.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:41 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,142 times
Why would it be considered a "Jewish cold-fighting concoction" and have one version have meat and milk together?

Where does this come from as related to Jews?

Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Why would it be considered a "Jewish cold-fighting concoction" and have one version have meat and milk together?

Where does this come from as related to Jews?
You noticed that "milk and schmaltz" recipe. Yep, sounds spurious, all right.

My personal recipe for guggle muggle is chamomile tea, milk, and a shot of Southern Comfort. Probably not kosher either, certainly not Jewish, and I doubt it has any real effect as a cold remedy. But it makes me not care that I'm sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism