Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 09:18 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To the rabbi's point, this restaurant is supposedly "THE" kosher restaurant in the city if one wants to be seen (according to an orthodox woman with whom I worked who moves in state and city political circles). Not a kugel on the menu, but plenty of steak, fish, and sushi.

Even more interesting, no prices.

DINNER -

If the restaurant is meat kosher, you most likely wouldn't find kugel on the menu. Not if the kugel is made with butter and other dairy products. You can get kugel at a dairy kosher restaurant, like My Most Favorite Food that I posted about a few posts up.

I noticed this on the menu: "PRIME STEAK SANDWICH | shaved filet mignon, romaine, horseradish cream."

If they're making the horseradish cream with sour cream, I don't see how that can be kosher on a steak sandwich. Is there another way to make horseradish cream? Because I'd love to have that recipe.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:29 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Heres a recpe, kosher, parve, and gluten free.. https://www.kosher.com/recipe/horseradish-sauce-6403

Old 05-17-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Heres a recpe, kosher, parve, and gluten free.. https://www.kosher.com/recipe/horseradish-sauce-6403
Thanks! I love Baron Herzog wine, and see it's one of the ingredients! Baron Herzog is the wine they serve at Ben's (a chain of meat kosher restautants here).

*waves @ Coney: We still have a date at Ben's when the pandemic is over, right? And Mightyqueen wants to join us.*

Old 05-17-2021, 09:53 AM

88,524 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
If the restaurant is meat kosher, you most likely wouldn't find kugel on the menu. Not if the kugel is made with butter and other dairy products. You can get kugel at a dairy kosher restaurant, like My Most Favorite Food that I posted about a few posts up.

I noticed this on the menu: "PRIME STEAK SANDWICH | shaved filet mignon, romaine, horseradish cream."

If they're making the horseradish cream with sour cream, I don't see how that can be kosher on a steak sandwich. Is there another way to make horseradish cream? Because I'd love to have that recipe.
Ha, I was being facetious, but good point. There wouldn't be any dairy in that particular restaurant. Interesting about the horseradish cream. Maybe you could write to the chef!

I'm thinking it could be something like the cashew cream that vegans use, or one with a coconut cream base.

ETA: I see VA posted a recipe.

There was a kosher dairy place on lower Broadway called Milk and Honey. Not a fancy place, but they had good food. I used to get lunch there when I was vegetarian. Unfortunately, I haven't been to the city since January of 2020. Wonder if it's still there

Old 05-18-2021, 07:37 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Because there is no such thing as just "Jewish." Look at your list -- it is a list of PLACES, not religions. Kosher food (the food that Jews eat) reflects all the different geographical and cultural milieus in which Jews found themselves over time. Is there "Christian" food? Dang, I would love to go to that new Methodist place, assuming that the Sikh cuisine place isn't open.
You are correct that there’s no one cohesive Jewish cuisine, but there are culinary traditions associated with each Jewish subgroup, and because Judaism is, for the most part, an ethnic religion with a long history of endogamy, it’s a false premise to cite the absence of Methodist and Sikh cuisines (et al.) by comparison.

Few foods are originally or exclusively Jewish, but it’s also no accident that, based on dietary restrictions and preferences, some foods are especially associated with Jewish subgroups, even when their non-Jewish counterparts eat the same or similar foods to varying shades and degrees, like Ashkenazi kneydlach, Yemeni jachhun, and Roman fried artichokes (just to name a few of many).

There are also distinct Jewish culinary traditions in American (and other Anglophone) Jewish communities, just like how Italian-American cooking can be different (in some cases quite different) from foods eaten in Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, I was being facetious, but good point. There wouldn't be any dairy in that particular restaurant. Interesting about the horseradish cream. Maybe you could write to the chef!

I'm thinking it could be something like the cashew cream that vegans use, or one with a coconut cream base.
It could also be mayonnaise-based (as horseradish sauces sometimes are).

Old 05-18-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
You are correct that there’s no one cohesive Jewish cuisine, but there are culinary traditions associated with each Jewish subgroup, and because Judaism is, for the most part, an ethnic religion with a long history of endogamy, it’s a false premise to cite the absence of Methodist and Sikh cuisines (et al.) by comparison.

Few foods are originally or exclusively Jewish, but it’s also no accident that, based on dietary restrictions and preferences, some foods are especially associated with Jewish subgroups, even when their non-Jewish counterparts eat the same or similar foods to varying shades and degrees, like Ashkenazi kneydlach, Yemeni jachhun, and Roman fried artichokes (just to name a few of many).

There are also distinct Jewish culinary traditions in American (and other Anglophone) Jewish communities, just like how Italian-American cooking can be different (in some cases quite different) from foods eaten in Italy.

It could also be mayonnaise-based (as horseradish sauces sometimes are.
Commenting on the bold above, yes, I think that the recipe VA Yankee kindly found for me is a mayonnaise-based recipe, because of the oil and vinegar in it. I was really hoping for something more creamy and less oily, as I'm not really a fan of mayonnaise. I'll give the recipe a try, though.

As for the rest of what you wrote, yes it's true that our dietary restrictions and preferences have led to certain foods being especially associated with us. But I think it's important to remember that we are an adaptive people. We have adapted cuisines from around the world to conform to our dietary restrictions. Does an alteration of a recipe automatically make it Jewish? I don't think so, as there are lots of non-Jewish people who must also alter recipes in order to find them acceptable (such as those who must eat gluten-free).

Old 05-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
As for the rest of what you wrote, yes it's true that our dietary restrictions and preferences have led to certain foods being especially associated with us. But I think it's important to remember that we are an adaptive people. We have adapted cuisines from around the world to conform to our dietary restrictions. Does an alteration of a recipe automatically make it Jewish? I don't think so, as there are lots of non-Jewish people who must also alter recipes in order to find them acceptable (such as those who must eat gluten-free).
I don’t view an alteration as a requirement. Obviously, this is all highly subjective, but my distinction is when a recipe becomes closely associated with Jews to the point that the Jewish rendition is broadly recognized as the premier or prototypical version (like the bagel). That doesn’t mean the recipe becomes exclusively Jewish, but I think it becomes fair to include the recipe within the Jewish culinary lexicon.

An elderly Polish man, old enough to be a Nazi war collaborator, once sneered, “Not Jewish, only Polish,” when I dared to suggest that babka can also be a Jewish food.

As for your horseradish sauce, if you like Dijon (or some other) mustard, you can create a stable emulsion without adding mayonnaise or using egg yolks to create a mayonnaise. Pareve non-dairy creamer could get you the rest of the way there.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-18-2021 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-18-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don’t view an alteration as a requirement. Obviously, this is all highly subjective, but my distinction is when a recipe becomes closely associated with Jews to the point that the Jewish rendition is broadly recognized as the premier or prototypical version (like the bagel). That doesn’t mean the recipe becomes exclusively Jewish, but I think it becomes fair to include the recipe within the Jewish culinary lexicon.

An elderly Polish man, old enough to be a Nazi war collaborator, once sneered, “Not Jewish, only Polish,” when I dared to suggest that babka can also be a Jewish food.
I hear you.

There is a town on Long Island called Massapequa. Because of its high Jewish and Italian population mix, many locals have taken to calling the town "Matzo-Pizza."

The perennial question: Is a "matzo-pizza" (the food, not the town) Jewish or Italian?

Old 05-18-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I hear you.

There is a town on Long Island called Massapequa. Because of its high Jewish and Italian population mix, many locals have taken to calling the town "Matzo-Pizza."

The perennial question: Is a "matzo-pizza" (the food, not the town) Jewish or Italian?

Yes, I know that Jerry Seinfeld is a matzopizza native, as are the Baldwin brothers.

And I don’t know about matzo pizza the food, but pizza Ebraica is definitely Jewish in nature: https://www.tinastable.com/pizza-ebraica/

I loved eating in Rome’s Jewish ghetto. It wasn’t the best food I had in Italy, but it was still quite good, and probably the most interesting (at least to a Yid like me).

Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,263,317 times
I have never had a dairy kugel. I might have seen one in a store, but I don't even recall that. And I have eaten many kugels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism