Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 10:42 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I decided to forgo the baked farmer cheese this year and go full Sephardic. I bought some malabi for next week. I made it once before and it turned out well. It's pretty easy to prepare. I got lazy and I just purchased it instead of making it myself.
I'm lazy, too, and I've purchased frozen blueberry blintzes. But I'm making custard to pour over them.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:47 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Are there restaurants that feature Jewish food in large cities (besides bagel stores)? Like fine dining establishments? What is on the menu? Never hear people raving about Jewish food.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:10 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Are there restaurants that feature Jewish food in large cities (besides bagel stores)? Like fine dining establishments? What is on the menu? Never hear people raving about Jewish food.
NYC has them. One of my favorites is My Most Favorite Food which is dairy kosher. The founder of the restaurant (Doris Schechter) is also the author of At Oma's Table. I'm met Doris and her daughter (who manages the restaurant).

Old 05-14-2021, 11:28 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
The question is what you define as "Jewish" food. There are kosher restaurants of all sorts -- Italian, French, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and the cuisine mirrors what you might find elsewhere, tweaked in accordance with Jewish dietary law. Are you asking about the eastern European cuisine usually associated with delis? (chicken soup, corned beef sandwiches)? Are you asking about foods associated with ritual observance (cholent?)

You can go to a kosher pizza place or to a high priced steak house. You can get kosher sushi or barbecue. And in each case, there will be an argument about which is the best place.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:45 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Are you talking about restaurants or supermarkets? There are supermarkets as huge as Costco. Actually, Costco, itself carries quite a few kosher items. Chabad women are notoriously excellent cooks. Then, there's all the Sephardic cuisine that uses a variety of lesser-known-in-the -US spices, such as za'atar. Both Chris Kimball and Anthony Bourdain visited Israel and featured Israeli cuisine on their programs. All of that stuff can be found here. "Jewish" food is the food of the regions where Jews lived. Matzah, I suppose, is an authentic "Jewish" food.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:56 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The question is what you define as "Jewish" food. There are kosher restaurants of all sorts -- Italian, French, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and the cuisine mirrors what you might find elsewhere, tweaked in accordance with Jewish dietary law. Are you asking about the eastern European cuisine usually associated with delis? (chicken soup, corned beef sandwiches)? Are you asking about foods associated with ritual observance (cholent?)

You can go to a kosher pizza place or to a high priced steak house. You can get kosher sushi or barbecue. And in each case, there will be an argument about which is the best place.
No. I was asking about Jewish "fine food," or customary food. We know what Mexican, Italian, French, Irish, English, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. food is and what is offered in restaurants. What is the Jewish food that is offered in restaurants and are there Jewish fine dining establishments? I have never heard anyone say: "Let's have Jewish tonight."

Old 05-16-2021, 11:42 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
No. I was asking about Jewish "fine food," or customary food. We know what Mexican, Italian, French, Irish, English, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. food is and what is offered in restaurants. What is the Jewish food that is offered in restaurants and are there Jewish fine dining establishments? I have never heard anyone say: "Let's have Jewish tonight."
Because there is no such thing as just "Jewish." Look at your list -- it is a list of PLACES, not religions. Kosher food (the food that Jews eat) reflects all the different geographical and cultural milieus in which Jews found themselves over time. Is there "Christian" food? Dang, I would love to go to that new Methodist place, assuming that the Sikh cuisine place isn't open.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:53 PM

277 posts, read 773,664 times
Quote:
I think most people in the US associate Jewish food with NY style kosher deli, or Jewish soul food as I like to call it. Think matzoh ball soup, kreplach, kasha varnishkes, stuffed cabbage, chopped liver, kugel, knish, brisket, corned beef/pastrami, etc. Of course bagels and lox, whitefish, herring too. Not exactly fine dining but this is the food of Ashkenazi Jews.

Food associated with Sephardic Jews is really middle eastern food, with some being more specific to Israel. Hummus, couscous, tahini, pita, malawach, shakshooka. There are plenty of cafes like this in NYC and LA.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:43 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Because there is no such thing as just "Jewish." Look at your list -- it is a list of PLACES, not religions. Kosher food (the food that Jews eat) reflects all the different geographical and cultural milieus in which Jews found themselves over time. Is there "Christian" food? Dang, I would love to go to that new Methodist place, assuming that the Sikh cuisine place isn't open.
thank you for a hearty laugh out loud!

Old 05-17-2021, 06:29 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
To the rabbi's point, this restaurant is supposedly "THE" kosher restaurant in the city if one wants to be seen (according to an orthodox woman with whom I worked who moves in state and city political circles). Not a kugel on the menu, but plenty of steak, fish, and sushi.

Even more interesting, no prices.

DINNER -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism