Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 06:18 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I don't think that getting married gets you a deferral. Check out this page, especially page 42
http://archive.moia.gov.il/Publications/idf_en.pdf
Do the Haredim living in Israel already get deferrals on religious grounds? In which case I would imagine that whether they have newly married would not be an issue in regard to IDF service? I know that there are also young Haredi men who volunteer for service, and I imagine that they probably delay marriage until after their time of service is finished.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-08-2021 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-08-2021, 06:30 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Do the Haredim living in Israel already get deferrals on religious grounds? In which case I would imagine that whether they have newly married would not be an issue in regard to IDF service? I know that there are also young Haredi men who volunteer for service, and I imagine that they probably delay marriage until after their time of service is finished.
If one learns in yeshiva, one can apply for a 6 month deferral and then keep reapplying as long as one stays in yeshiva.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
If one learns in yeshiva, one can apply for a 6 month deferral and then keep reapplying as long as one stays in yeshiva.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:55 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
I don't think that getting married gets you a deferral. Check out this page, especially page 42
http://archive.moia.gov.il/Publications/idf_en.pdf
TY. I asked because a thread you no longer visit reached mitzvah 71:

71. That the newly married husband shall (be free) for one year to rejoice with his wife (Deut. 24:5)

Deuteronomy 24:5 --- When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:15 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
TY. I asked because a thread you no longer visit reached mitzvah 71:

71. That the newly married husband shall (be free) for one year to rejoice with his wife (Deut. 24:5)

Deuteronomy 24:5 --- When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
Keep in mind Israel has a fully secular government, most frequently hostile towards the Torah Observant. It should be no shocker that they would have (many) laws that are against halacha and Torah.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:34 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Keep in mind Israel has a fully secular government, most frequently hostile towards the Torah Observant. It should be no shocker that they would have (many) laws that are against halacha and Torah.
Are Israeli politics similar to ours? Dad and I were discussing this last night and I said, "I would have to research because I'm not quite sure."

Old 01-08-2021, 08:57 AM

Israel, though its laws are infused with elements of Judaism, is not a theocracy and some of its policies are not in line with strict Torah law. Trying to equate Israel's secular practices in 2021 with the laws designed for a theocratic state is not going to be fruitful. While there are moments of overlap, one needs only to see that the IDF allows female soldiers (though married women are officially exempt from service) whereas the biblical "army" had no women in it.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:31 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Israel, though its laws are infused with elements of Judaism, is not a theocracy and some of its policies are not in line with strict Torah law. Trying to equate Israel's secular practices in 2021 with the laws designed for a theocratic state is not going to be fruitful. While there are moments of overlap, one needs only to see that the IDF allows female soldiers (though married women are officially exempt from service) whereas the biblical "army" had no women in it.
That's interesting!

Now are politics divided into parties too?

Old 01-08-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That's interesting!

Here's a Wiki article for you, Jess, in addition to Rosend's helpful replies, on Israel's political party system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ties_in_Israel

We don't really want to get into any comparisons of Israel with U.S. politics on this forum, as I'm sure you weren't intending to do anyway.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That's interesting!

Lots of parties. The parliament ("Knesset") is headed by a prime minister from the party that gets the most votes as long as it either on its own, or in coallition with other parties, has over 50% of the seats. It is a very confusing and complicated syste, and with the fractured Israeli political landscape, it has been tough for any one party to assemble a government that holds together. That's whay the country is headed into the 4th set of elections in 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism