Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 10:29 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Here's a Wiki article for you, Jess, in addition to Rosend's helpful replies, on Israel's political party system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ties_in_Israel

We don't really want to get into any comparisons of Israel with U.S. politics on this forum, as I'm sure you weren't intending to do anyway.
Thanks, Rachel! I wasn't attempting that at all.

Dad is fascinated by Netanyahu. He was educated in the Philadelphia Area and dad always says, "if he ever visits, I would like to meet him!" We both laugh and know it'll never happen, and we were chatting about it last night. I wasn't sure how their government worked, so I am grateful for the R&R Line once again.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:56 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Keep in mind Israel has a fully secular government, most frequently hostile towards the Torah Observant. It should be no shocker that they would have (many) laws that are against halacha and Torah.
That's sort of why I asked. I know Haredim and military service has been contentious for years. Though I doubted that particular mitzvah was incorporated into Israeli law, I appreciate confirmation.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:05 PM

Is there a reason why an unmarried female would be drafted, but a married one can't? That's interesting.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:50 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Is there a reason why an unmarried female would be drafted, but a married one can't? That's interesting.
From what I've read, it seems to me as though even Israel initially had gendered roles within its military, although these roles have been changing. I'm only surmising this, but I think that the reason why married women are exempt from military service (although not necessarily from national service) may be because women historically and almost universally were not expected to serve in the military.

During Israel's founding years there were courageous young women (many of whom had been resistance fighters during World War II in Europe) who voluntarily chose to defend the emerging State of Israel. So, out of necessity, exceptions were made that gradually became policy. It may be that no one saw a need to make additional exceptions in order to allow married women and mothers to fight alongside those women who had volunteered and, in later years, there has been little if any challenge to this long-standing military exemption for married women and mothers.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
From what I've read, it seems to me as though even Israel initially had gendered roles within its military, although these roles have been changing. I'm only surmising this, but I think that the reason why married women are exempt from military service (although not necessarily from national service) may be because women historically and almost universally were not expected to serve in the military.

During Israel's founding years there were courageous young women (many of whom had been resistance fighters during World War II in Europe) who voluntarily chose to defend the emerging State of Israel. So, out of necessity, exceptions were made that gradually became policy. It may be that no one saw a need to make additional exceptions in order to allow married women and mothers to fight alongside those women who had volunteered and, in later years, there has been little if any challenge to this long-standing military exemption for married women and mothers.
That makes sense and it's such a wonderful thing. I applaud the courageous young women who have defended and are defending lands.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:17 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That makes sense and it's such a wonderful thing. I applaud the courageous young women who have defended and are defending lands.
Here's a book you might enjoy reading (based on a true story): Day After Night. You can get a good used copy for under $10 (and that includes shipping). This book was written by Anita Diamant, who also wrote The Red Tent (a story about Dinah of the Bible).

Old 02-10-2021, 02:48 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
I certainly dont wanna talk about politics, but I just woke up and was looking at the news and saw a couple posts from friends about a silly man people were making fun of because everytime he took a drink, he put his hand over his head, and it made me remember a peculiar habit my father had everytime he took a bite. I soon learned it was a Jewish Orthodox covering his head because he didn't have a yamaka.

I was kind of curious about and what habit there might be, that a gentile might see and be curious. I guess some orthodox cant move 4 feet without a covering? I mean are there some other habits of men or women Gentiles might be curious of.

This man that covered his head, do you think he usually wore a yamaka but his surroundings didnt allow him? Or maybe that since the judge may represent something that he didn't wear a yamaka? When I go in front of a judge, it may as well be His sitting there, I just know that nothing can come from the mouth of a judge that God didn't put there , that is what I have to believe even if I am framed, nothing can happen that weren't meant.

Not quite understanding why he wasn't wearing a yamaka, because some court wont allow a head covering or it's just up for the individual?

What do you suppose he said to Hasshem everytime he took a drink? I mean, I am guessing but there is probably something particular isnt it?
Anyway. I think it was the coolest, sweet action, really made my day. I like how it makes it obvious what a person is, sweet.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:10 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/why-d...is-head-658437

and this answer:
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/11005/1362

Old 04-30-2021, 11:13 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Well praise the Lord, I always like to bump this thread, and while I am here, I would like to bless the Lord for what he has been doing with Israel on this special of days, please pray for the peace of Jerusalem, I think zi can see a new horizen.

Thank you Hashem, bless your name for the gift of the 33rd omer this year, I am so excited.

See, tried to sound a little Jewish, did you see what I did there?

Brb, please feel free to talk amongst yourselves, go ahead, any subject will do.

Yup.

Quite a couple of years we got going here, magic in the air, expectation, well, seems like I run across a couple of good rabbis lately who are also a little excited about expectations.

Happy Lag BaOmer Y'all

Old 05-14-2021, 09:21 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I decided to forgo the baked farmer cheese this year and go full Sephardic. I bought some malabi for next week. I made it once before and it turned out well. It's pretty easy to prepare. I got lazy and I just purchased it instead of making it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism