Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 03:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Our last purchase for the master closet. I wanted the bulbs covered. The ones in the garage were cheaper, but no cover. Still have one waiting for a place. Might add another to the garage. Can't have too much light there.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-05-2019, 12:01 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I don't actively try to keep it down. But my bill is pretty low. 50-130ish depending on time of year.
I had a duct-free Split put in my mobile home this early Spring, and I was shocked when I get my electric bill for May. Now I'll have a lot more disposable income. Not sure what to do with my "clunker" in the back of house, my big A/C unit which I'll never use again! A good number of people in my senior mobile home community are putting splits in their mobile homes and they love them. 12 years guaranteed, parts and labor!

Old 07-06-2019, 12:20 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
I'm a contrarian. I enjoy arguing. But arguing about some pocket change is just too far.

Led bulbs are superior to CFL and Incandescent. That's really all that needs to be said.
Cheap. Long lasting. Low energy consumption.

It's not that simple. Lights are sometimes used for things other then light to see by. I keep reptiles as pets, the light form incandescents is much closer to sunlight then cold LED's that lean to the blue spectrum. Not only do LED's not provide the correct wavelength for my critters, they also don't provide the heat they love to bask in.

Another problem is that many rural people have used a 100 watt bulb to warm their chicken coops, keep their water pumps from freezing and various other low heat applications. LED's are a no go.

None of this would be a problem if we were given a choice as to the right bulb for each application. But we aren't. The government has made it impossible to buy new incandescent bulbs. I have resorted to buying up as many as I can find at yard sales.

Gov't knows best. Add that to your list of things Government screws up EA.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It's not that simple. Lights are sometimes used for things other then light to see by. I keep reptiles as pets, the light form incandescents is much closer to sunlight then cold LED's that lean to the blue spectrum. Not only do LED's not provide the correct wavelength for my critters, they also don't provide the heat they love to bask in.

Another problem is that many rural people have used a 100 watt bulb to warm their chicken coops, keep their water pumps from freezing and various other low heat applications. LED's are a no go.

None of this would be a problem if we were given a choice as to the right bulb for each application. But we aren't. The government has made it impossible to buy new incandescent bulbs. I have resorted to buying up as many as I can find at yard sales.

When used as a light bulb, not a heat source, led > everything else.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:

You can still buy incandescents for specialty acts like heating as well. And those will remain.

The later more efficient incandescents are much bluer than the older ones...above 3000K. You can now commonly buy LEDs at 2700K. We use that LED mostly in the interior of our home. We use daylight LEDs in the garage.

And at this point the thing is pretty much resolved. Aside from a few specialty applications conventional incandescents are gone. The advantages of LEDs are simply overpowering. As the cost advantage of incandescents vanishes they will simply become a specialty item though they will still be available.

The exception may be halogens which may manage to get competitive with LEDs. Still a lot of effort going into trying to make a fully competitive halogen.

I do not think CFLs will last very long either. Again simply overpowered by the LEDs.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You can still buy incandescents for specialty acts like heating as well. And those will remain.

The later more efficient incandescents are much bluer than the older ones...above 3000K. You can now commonly buy LEDs at 2700K. We use that LED mostly in the interior of our home. We use daylight LEDs in the garage.

And at this point the thing is pretty much resolved. Aside from a few specialty applications conventional incandescents are gone. The advantages of LEDs are simply overpowering. As the cost advantage of incandescents vanishes they will simply become a specialty item though they will still be available.

The exception may be halogens which may manage to get competitive with LEDs. Still a lot of effort going into trying to make a fully competitive halogen.

I do not think CFLs will last very long either. Again simply overpowered by the LEDs.

Wrong on two points. Incandecents are NOT available new except possibly Chinese versions on Amazon that reviewers have said last a few days. You simply can't go to any store and buy them like you used to. Your second error is that CFL is useless. One of the wavelengths reptiles (and tanning beds) need is UVB. UVB is almost always produced by some sort of florescent bulb (that again, do not produce UVA and heat animals need that ARE produced by incandescents).

I wish I was on the winning side of every government decision when they choose what is best. If LED's are great for everything (they are not) then no big whoop, the market should decide what is available, not the government.

Choice is best.

Edit: You CAN go to a reptile store and buy an incandecent light bulb but they are generally about $15 each. I'll stick to yard sales for now.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 07-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
When used as a light bulb, not a heat source, led > everything else.

Choice.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Wrong on two points. Incandecents are NOT available new except possibly Chinese versions on Amazon that reviewers have said last a few days. You simply can't go to any store and buy them like you used to. Your second error is that CFL is useless. One of the wavelengths reptiles (and tanning beds) need is UVB. UVB is almost always produced by some sort of florescent bulb (that again, do not produce UVA and heat animals need that ARE produced by incandescents).

I wish I was on the winning side of every government decision when they choose what is best. If LED's are great for everything (they are not) then no big whoop, the market should decide what is available, not the government.

Choice is best.
Nope. You are simply incorrect. You can manufacture specialty incandescents to your hearts content. What you cannot do is manufacture incandescents for home lighting unless they meet efficiency targets that are currently met only by halogens which happen to be a version of incandescent.

And the discussion is the common illumination bulb - not specialty bulbs for tanning beds or reptiles.

Florescent bulbs flower by the way. They do not illuminate.

The government sets standards not the technology. That is a reasonable government role. There is still a significant research activity to make an efficient incandescent.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. You are simply incorrect. You can manufacture specialty incandescents to your hearts content. What you cannot do is manufacture incandescents for home lighting unless they meet efficiency targets that are currently met only by halogens which happen to be a version of incandescent. I am simply correct. The only new incandecent bulbs available to me are at reptile stores that cost $15 each as opposed to the old Walmart bulbs that cost 4 for $2

And the discussion is the common illumination bulb - not specialty bulbs for tanning beds or reptiles. So you get to decide what can and cannot be discussed here? I'm merely offerering a different perspective. Sorry if it does not fit your argument.

Florescent bulbs flower by the way. They do not illuminate. I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'll try. Florescents certainly illuminate as every office building was illuminated by them for decades. If you mean florescents cause marijuana plants to flower, maybe, not my specialty. Certain ones emit UVB which is what I and my critters need.

The government sets standards not the technology. That is a reasonable government role. There is still a significant research activity to make an efficient incandescent. The government sets standards limiting what technology can do (sometimes). The problem is when they assume they know every application of a given technology and limit based on that. Why would significant research still be ongoing to make a more efficient incandescent when it's obviously worthless?

Look, I obviously know that reptile keeping and tanning booths are not big concerns of the government. My main point is that if LED's (or any technology) is that good, it will sell itself. But don't force everyone to use something you say is best especially when you don't know everything about it's every use.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:59 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I was just at home depot. You can buy a 16 pack of incandescent bulbs for 15 bucks.
They have half an aisle of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas