Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I said museum, I meant art museum, as I was referring to a museum of the caliber of the Tucson Art Museum.

Have you compared the Phoenix Art Museum with the Tucson Art Museum, Elle?
I have been to the one in Phoenix briefly, but art museums are not my thing at all. I am bored immediately upon walking through the door! If I ever went to someplace like Paris or Rome, I would likely not visit any museums there. It's just not for me. I've been to art museums in other cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, St Louis.

It seemed nice enough. Nothing in Tucson impresses me over Phoenix, really, other than the close proximity of Mt Lemmon. It's gorgeous up there.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
^^

Eastern philosophy: Hate can turn to love in a split second, love can turn to hate in a split second! And the beauty of the future is its unexpectancies!

During my hippie back-packing days in Europe, I went to my first museum, the Louvre in Paris, doubt whether I even spent an hour there looking at all that "old crap" which I couldn't relate to. Boring! Then in Florence, I went to the Uffizi Museum, and I was equally bored. Lots of "old crap", once again. So I prematurely concluded that was what all museums were like.

Many years later, in NYC, I went to the Metropolitan Museum, and again, I almost left, bored with all that "old crap", until, I stumbled upon the modern art wing. I finally found the Art that appealed to me emotionally, finally striking a chord in me: Expressionism, Impressionism and Cubism.

So, nowadays, I only seek out Modern Art Museums, and the modern art within all museums. I did go to the Getty Museum early this year, and I knew I wouldn't find the art interesting, as Getty only collected 13th-17th century art, but I mainly went just to see the iconic museum.

I can imagine you walking into the Phoenix Art Museum, and one of the first major exhibits is the Chinese/Japanese wing, and, understandably, turn around and leave!

As far as Tucson, there's some areas of Tucson which equal the impoverished areas of the Appalachian mountain district, and then, there's some extra nice areas, like the far east side, Oro Valley, the Foothills, Sam Hughes Historic District, and near Reid Park (comparative to Encanto park in Phoenix) is a an old area of wealth, with beautifully restored very expensive manse's.

Tucson is a city you can't generalize over.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
^^

Eastern philosophy: Hate can turn to love in a split second, love can turn to hate in a split second! And the beauty of the future is its unexpectancies!

During my hippie back-packing days in Europe, I went to my first museum, the Louvre in Paris, doubt whether I even spent an hour there looking at all that "old crap" which I couldn't relate to. Boring! Then in Florence, I went to the Uffizi Museum, and I was equally bored. Lots of "old crap", once again. So I prematurely concluded that was what all museums were like.

Many years later, in NYC, I went to the Metropolitan Museum, and again, I almost left, bored with all that "old crap", until, I stumbled upon the modern art wing. I finally found the Art that appealed to me emotionally, finally striking a chord in me: Expressionism, Impressionism and Cubism.

So, nowadays, I only seek out Modern Art Museums, and the modern art within all museums. I did go to the Getty Museum early this year, and I knew I wouldn't find the art interesting, as Getty only collected 13th-17th century art, but I mainly went just to see the iconic museum.

I can imagine you walking into the Phoenix Art Museum, and one of the first major exhibits is the Chinese/Japanese wing, and, understandably, turn around and leave!

As far as Tucson, there's some areas of Tucson which equal the impoverished areas of the Appalachian mountain district, and then, there's some extra nice areas, like the far east side, Oro Valley, the Foothills, Sam Hughes Historic District, and near Reid Park (comparative to Encanto park in Phoenix) is a an old area of wealth, with beautifully restored very expensive manse's.

Actually, the bolded above is the part I found the most interesting. When we were there, there was a major samurai exhibit there. While we didn't go to that as there was an extra charge, the pieces they had on display outside the doors were really interesting.

Museums in general, though, are all a snoozefest to me, always have been. So is Tucson.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:13 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times

Agreed. There's way more good than there is bad with Tucson. The surrounding mountains are beautiful and the city offers enough in entertainment to be a good place to spend time.

Perfect? You're looking on the wrong planet for perfect.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Agreed. There's way more good than there is bad with Tucson. The surrounding mountains are beautiful and the city offers enough in entertainment to be a good place to spend time.

Perfect? You're looking on the wrong planet for perfect.
Meh. A weekend in Tucson and you will find yourself out of things to do fairly quickly. Pretty scenery and mountains, sure, but Phoenix has that with more entertainment options for sure

They have some good craft beer, i'll give them that., but so does Phoenix.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Meh. A weekend in Tucson and you will find yourself out of things to do fairly quickly. Pretty scenery and mountains, sure, but Phoenix has that with more entertainment options for sure

Phoenix is fine but really large and traffic-prone. Tucson is somewhat tattered but full of fun shops of various sorts and good malls (no, they're not yet extinct) and music venues. Phoenix has the same, but, the mountains of Tucson look closer and cooler.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Phoenix is fine but really large and traffic-prone. Tucson is somewhat tattered but full of fun shops of various sorts and good malls (no, they're not yet extinct) and music venues. Phoenix has the same, but, the mountains of Tucson look closer and cooler.
The mountains of Tucson ARE closer and cooler, as in cooler temps, at least for "big" mountains. There's a ski resort up there and it's a very fun and pretty drive to the top. When we were there once we stumbled upon an Oktoberfest up in the mountains which was the best setting, like being in Barvaria! We were able to ride the ski lift up (off season) for even more amazing views.

Phoenix has other mountains right in the middle of the city as well as all around the perimeter.

Last edited by ElleTea; 05-16-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 05:55 PM

The mountains of Tucson ARE closer and cooler, as in cooler temps, at least for "big" mountains. There's a ski resort up there and it's a very fun and pretty drive to the top. When we were there once we stumbled upon an Oktoberfest up in the mountains which was the best setting, like being in Barvaria! We were able to ride the ski lift up (off season) for even more amazing views.

That's great - they are both good cities - Phoenix is somewhat challenging to drive a U-Haul through pulling your car behind it at dinnertime. We did this in 2015 on the way to eastern War-shing-ton. Stopped to visit our son who was living in PHX at the time. The fact that Phoenix is in Arizona rather than California makes it that much better of a city.

If not for the Cardinal football team and its fans us Seattle Seahawk fans would have much less fun every year, too, as we spoil their unending attempt ta reach the top a the NFL heap. It is glorious, uh-huh.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

Phoenix has other mountains right in the middle of the city as well as all around the perimeter.
We are familiar with the general Tucson area as my mother lived years in Sierra Vista. In fact she had one of the world's great jobs. She was the chairman of the Democratic Party in Cochise County...They could hold all the democrats in Cochise County in a small coffer shop...but it got her sent off as a delegate to conventions and things which she enjoyed. And she and her SO took advantage of Fort Huachuca. He was a retired army colonel.

If you ever get interested it is a neat place. Bisbee, Sierrq Vista, Tombstone, Benson...Bisbee is where all the hippies went to die. We have an artistic friend out there who built a straw bail house in the middle of an ocotillo forest. Had a 5,000 SF steel shed with all sorts of weird artistic equipment. He bashed and burned and etched netal plates to make his arts. Had a little robot that tracked across things.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I'll never understand why no one seems to find Nogales as an outlying attraction to Tucson, 66 miles away. You rarely, if ever, hear of people going down there for a day visit, and does everyone in Tucson have these great insurance plans where there's no need to go to Mexico to buy some cheap medications without a prescription? Or go there for dental care? And I know for a fact there's seniors going over there for dental care, as I've met them on my visits there. From Green Valley?

I love Nogales, Mexico. I just love hilly cities. And my mouth is agape at how the houses climb up those vertical hillsides, as if they're going to tumble down the hill at any time. You find that also in Tijuana.

They do have one luxury hotel there, tallest building in town.

If I lived in Tucson, you'd find me, occasionally, going over there, spending the night, and go cantina hopping all night, like I've done in Tijuana. More fun than you'll ever find in Las Vegas, IMO!

Too many have been brain-washed by the media as Border cities are unsafe. I have never found that to be the case in either Tijuana, Mexicali or Nogales.

Sheesh! Here in Las Vegas last week, a man is punched to his death in Fremont East, and 2 people shot outside the Hilton Vacation Hotel on the Strip!

But in the U.S., we have the luxury of saying: isolated incidents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas