Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times

Advertisements

As for the friendliness of LIers - years ago, we were on vacation in PA (at a kiddie park) and noticed how rude people were. But then there was a glimmer of friendliness, and it was from a family from... (drum roll) LI! Same thing in Florida only couple of years ago. While waiting on dreadfully long lines at Disney, the families who struck up conversations with us were also from LI. I think LIers come off the wrong way, but they can be the funniest, most interesting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
That depends on your line of work. If you work at the top of the food chain or in the public sector, you don't have a choice. My employer was open to the idea of me moving to a lower tax/low COL area. It was a win-win for both of us. I am also at a competitive advantage now in my job market. I can outbid my competitors in nyc on projects by 20% and still enjoy a higher real salary.
My husband is an engineer, in a very tight niche. A few years ago he was laid off, and there was NOTHING, except for near Chicago and CA (possibly the NW, but because of the dreary weather, and my unwillingness to take Prozac, we didn't even look). I'm self-employed and can go anywhere, but my income varies, and I would hate to rely on it.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
As for the friendliness of LIers - years ago, we were on vacation in PA (at a kiddie park) and noticed how rude people were. .
Funny we had the same experience years ago in the area of Dutch Wonderland. Some elderly ( I mean really elderly) guy got out of his car at a gas station and banged on our window and started yelling at DH for not moving up to the pump fast enough. I was like "welcome to the land of the peace loving Amish!" LOL. It was really bizarre!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Funny we had the same experience years ago in the area of Dutch Wonderland. Some elderly ( I mean really elderly) guy got out of his car at a gas station and banged on our window and started yelling at DH for not moving up to the pump fast enough. I was like "welcome to the land of the peace loving Amish!" LOL. It was really bizarre!
Now that is funny - that was the same exact place -Dutch Wonderland!

Also, at our hotel, the people next door called the management on my baby who cried for ten whole minutes! By the time management called us, the baby was asleep, but the ringing phone woke him up! And this was a very family oriented place.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've subscribed to this forum for going on 8 years and, like I said a hundred times, see no reason to remove it. Unlike so many who seem to get butt hurt by anonymous forum posts, I could really care less. I enjoy the debate and zings.

I've never been involved in a "star party", but I'm sure they occur. The ratings are about as useful as the $500 prize which you seem to covet as the end all be all of forum godliness. Either way, as a long time poster on these boards I find that post count vs. rep does reflect someone's worthwhile contributions (especially early on). Those who switch screennames to continue attacks are easy to spot.

Defend all you want... like you always do! lol
- Just don't call others out on needing a hobby with your post count.
No, you could really NOT care less. If you could care less, that means you do care.

You enjoy the debate and zings? You could have fooled me ... talk about butt hurt!

It depends on what forums you frequent. LI is a tough room to play if you're after reps. On forums like Community Chat, Games, Trivia, etc., though they rep everything and anything anybody posts.

Why is it a problem if I defend my home turf?

I can post as much as I want ... just like you can stay subscribed to the forum. However, when I post in the LI forum at least I am actually talking about what is going on where I live, unlike you who posts his proclamations about LI from 700 miles away.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Just do it. It is beautiful here. The sky is blue, the snow has just fallen, and I am going to do a little cross country skiing in the local park tomorrow, not be slaving away late in some office
That's amazing, the exact same thing can be said for us on LI!

You keep harping on the +$10k in taxes you had to pay as a household yet you took a 20% paycut to move away. Do the math.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No, you could really NOT care less. If you could care less, that means you do care.

You enjoy the debate and zings? You could have fooled me ... talk about butt hurt!

It depends on what forums you frequent. LI is a tough room to play if you're after reps. On forums like Community Chat, Games, Trivia, etc., though they rep everything and anything anybody posts.

Why is it a problem if I defend my home turf?

I can post as much as I want ... just like you can stay subscribed to the forum. However, when I post in the LI forum at least I am actually talking about what is going on where I live, unlike you who posts his proclamations about LI from 700 miles away.
You're one of the few still worth reading on this forum - take that how you will... Honestly, I think I have a bad rap as a ex-pat hater without just cause. I never do things like talk about the size of my new house or what my tax bill is, etc - I'm not looking to rub things in people's faces. It's never been about "what I have" here vs. there. Granted I'm caustic and sarcastic (on purpose) because it's fun - but I'm not like all the other ex-pat haters you typically tangle with - at least IMO.

Either way... defend your Hempstead and Valley Stream area - just don't pretend towns like Ronkonkoma are primo LI living, that's what usually lights me up. lol

Old 01-09-2015, 11:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
That's amazing, the exact same thing can be said for us on LI!

You keep harping on the +$10k in taxes you had to pay as a household yet you took a 20% paycut to move away. Do the math.
Yes, but my house is much cheaper. Combine that with cheaper taxes, cheap health/auto/home insurance, even with that 20% cut, I am making out like a bandit.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
U.S. News? Didn't that magazine go bankrupt? Why should people care about what some defunct magazine thinks about high schools? I don't know how they rate high schools, but if the way in which they rate colleges is any indication, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they have to say. Yes, a lot of money gets poured into these schools to make them "exclusive" and the teachers unions and college administrators who buy us news advertisements sure like it that way, but do such schools really serve the best interests of the students and communities that they serve? My school district provides great value. The teachers aren't pampered and they are not layers upon layers of bureaucracy and special administrators. We don't have a superintendent who makes $500,000 per year. Our superintendent teaches twice a week and drives a pick up truck, not a Mercedes. Many students go on to 4 year colleges. Many students of your high school no doubt go on to college, but no doubt a good chunk of them become addicted to heroin. Schools are what students make of them, not the other way around.

Yes, garbage comes twice a week and parks here provide for free entrance and not falling apart. Lower salaries perhaps, but lower costs far make up for it and provide a better quality of life.
Do you even have kids in the schools? Saying "my school district provides great value" is saying nothing at all. Give us a stat, a ranking, anything....

Old 01-09-2015, 12:01 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Yes, but my house is much cheaper. Combine that with cheaper taxes, cheap health/auto/home insurance, even with that 20% cut, I am making out like a bandit.
house or attached condo/row house/townhouse? No one disputes it's often cheaper to live outside the NY area, but let's at least try to compare apples to apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island