Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I agree about anywhere with extremely high percentages of one race...but most people don't say that when its whites...just saying.
Guess I'm not most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Except whites though, right?
Nope them too.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I agree a strong downtown is important...but I think one the reasons downtown was neglected or ignored for so long as that there are so many other parts of the city that had stuff going on . It wasnt like in some cities.

I think what's going on in downtown la is pretty cool and I would consider living there if I worked closer.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM

193 posts, read 309,850 times
I like looking at all the I love N.Y. bumper stickers and ask the owners to go back if it's so good....

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Crowdedness is inevitable. It's a c ity. Sprawl is not a suitable thing for a city. It's unorganized and a mess. Why do you think LA is trying to change?
All metros sprawl dude, including the scary urban cities out East. They like to think they're a sea of smart urban development, but the reality is, they gobble up land in a more inneficient manner than Los Angeles, thanks to their sprawling leafy suburbs/townships that extend for thousands of sq miles.

By urbanized area:

New York - 3450 sq miles (5400 persons per sq mile)
Chicago - 2440 sq miles (3500)
Boston - 1873 sq miles (2200 ppsm)
Los Angeles - 1780 sq miles (7000)

Notice how L.A. is the smallest in size AND the most densely populated. Even if you add San Bernardino-Riverside's UA it remains, with 14 million residents, more densely populated than any of the above cities.

There are worse sprawl offenders than L.A., for sure.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What a terrible post. Did you sign up to this site just to post this nonsense?
Yeah, I didn't notice it was his first. Good one!

So original too. I bet he thought of all of that himself.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
What is a city without a downtown

Less crowded downtown = More crowded surrounding.

More crowded surrounding = more sprawl

No! More crowded surrounding = less sprawl. Why do you think European metros sprawl so little. They have townhomes/condos bordering farm fields and woodlots as far as the eye can see. Surrounding New York, Chicago, and Boston, you have leafy, woodsy 1/2 to an acre size lots. Thats sprawl.

more sprawl = more traffic

more sprawl + more traffic = more smog

Smog is a function of the phsyical topography and climate. Its the downside to Southern sunny, semiarid climate and abundant mountain ranges. Look it up. Eastern and midwestern cities don't have mountain ranges that shoot up 8,000 feet, and they have rain that constantly washes away the air pollution.

more smog = more headaches.

A "world class city" with a dead downtown is like a "world class car" with a 4 cylinder engine

Downtown LA is NOT dead. Its just a little smaller for a city of its size. Personally I like downtown LA, I hope it will continue to gentrify but not be the crazy concrete jungle of Manhattan.

It's ok that some people prefer the "suburban lifestyle", because if you ask me, all of Los Angeles, and So Cal for that matter is just a giant suburb. But as far as urban settings go, people are not going to visit LA for the "city experience" quit kidding yourself. Los Angeles = dense sprawl. The fact of the matter is people like Los Angeles for it's surroundings and not for it's actual urban setting.

So what if people like Los Angeles for its surrounding?? LA county has a contiguous areas of over 10,000 pp/sqmi than Chicago does. And these areas contain a lot of desirable areas. West Hollywood for example is 18,000 pp/sqmi, is one of the most desirable areas, and is about typical of many of Chicagos north side neighborhoods (away from the lakefront).
Dense sprawl = urban.

Its not the suburban lifestyle. The suburban lifestyle is hearing nothing but lawnmowers during the day, and crickets at night. Its all families and quality of schools. Chicagoland, greater Boston, and the New York tri state area have a greater area covered in traditional suburbia. In LA, people are renters, they live in apartments, they have people of every walk of life. Thats not suburban, its urban. If LA is suburban, than so is Queens, NY.

It's great LA has a good metro, but when your metro life is more known than your city **urban** life... Something isn't right.
I don't give a crap what a city is "known for", what matters is how most people live. Most people in greater New York and Chicagoland don't live an urban lifestyle. Both metros have more rustic looking suburbs than LA.

Nothing in your post is original. Try again.

This is all your opinion that has no insight at all.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I see ...blah, blah, blah ...
People in flyover country cities and east coast cities are entirely enamored of their downtowns because doing things outside is often out of the question - the weather sucks. So hanging out in pretty buildings is all they got. Along with an insatiable appetite for wanking about L.A., where people go to take advantage of a place where there is ever-recurring evidence that the celestial body called "Sun" still exists, and provideth good juju to the happy people below.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
People in flyover country cities and east coast cities are entirely enamored of their downtowns because doing things outside is often out of the question - the weather sucks. So hanging out in pretty buildings is all they got. Along with an insatiable appetite for wanking about L.A., where people go to take advantage of a place where there is ever-recurring evidence that the celestial body called "Sun" still exists, and provideth good juju to the happy people below.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
No. It's more of the idea of heading to this mighty gigantic metropolis. Head into downtown, bar hop to over bars just of walking distance.
I went out in Chicago. Cold does not beat us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles