Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 03:59 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times

Advertisements

I went by Lincoln Park in SM today, and the north side of it was so bad it should be renamed "Filthy Creepy Park That Local Residents Cannot Use Because It's Overrun with Creepy Riff-Raff". Seriously, how do people adjacent to that park not get infuriated enough to do what the SMPD should be doing? Good grief, when I was boy I'd attend mass at St. Monica's with my gram and if she saw that park today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 06:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Now Garcetti is blaming DC for the homeless problem ... what a joke and deflection .
He owns this mess .

https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...-homelessness/

Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I went by Lincoln Park in SM today, and the north side of it was so bad it should be renamed "Filthy Creepy Park That Local Residents Cannot Use Because It's Overrun with Creepy Riff-Raff". Seriously, how do people adjacent to that park not get infuriated enough to do what the SMPD should be doing? Good grief, when I was boy I'd attend mass at St. Monica's with my gram and if she saw that park today...
Yeah it’s a shame . I really think a lot of people have been guilted into thinking it’s mean to complain about these issues ... even though there are serious health and safety issues associated with the homeless .

No city should have these conditions but it’s amazing conditions are so bad with prices so high .
Median priced home in Santa Monica is 1.75 million today .

Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Now Garcetti is blaming DC for the homeless problem ... what a joke and deflection .
He owns this mess .

https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...-homelessness/
Ridiculous.

"Thisa [sic] guy..." ~Paulie Walnuts

Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 422 times
Quote:
^racistliar jm1982 hates us black people....
New members reply to know more.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You don’t think word gets around ? Believe me these homeless and criminals know how weak our rules and laws are here in CA ... it’s not a secret .
Thinking people don’t come to L.A or CA because of the policies is naive .
Yes indeed, they all hop on planes and head for LA, because homeless people all have valid ID's for flying and probably credit cards with air miles too

Old 10-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Here is one way in which homelessness becomes a big problem in a City, I've mentioned this before but I just ran across an article that describes the situation very well. I spend several years working with the homeless in Reno, the good news was that at the time I was there if they had even a small SS check or VA pension they wouldn't be on the street because the City was full of SRO's and weekly motels, but now that housing stock is either being rented for $800-$1000 a month compared to $500 four years ago. The residents in the weeklies are no longer the homeless seniors or families on welfare but instead they are people who have been pushed out of apartments where rent has doubled to $1300-$1600 a month.

Quote:
"We're not worried with keeping up with the Joneses," said Dave Frazier, who lives in one of the old motor lodges. "We just want to keep a roof over our head." He and his partner pay $850 a month for a small studio in the Fireside Inn, cooking food they get at a pantry on a small portable skillet they place next to the bathroom sink. Both are thankful they are no longer on the streets but say many of their neighbors are senior citizens or the disabled who are on fixed incomes and just one rent increase away from homelessness.

"It takes every cent they have to keep a roof over their head," said Frazier, 74. "When they get to that and the rent goes up high enough, they buy a tent and go live on the river." An estimated 4,000 people — mostly working-class families, seniors and the disabled — live in the pay-by-the-week motels. For many, the lodges are the last stop before being forced onto the streets or to live in their cars. The growing number of homeless in and around Reno is among the most visible effects of the area's recent population surge, bringing to Nevada a crisis that has been plaguing California and other West Coast states for years. Reno's homeless shelters are over-flowing and local police periodically clear makeshift homeless camps from the banks of the Truckee River, which flows through downtown.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/business...dNQUlMLkNPTQ==

Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes indeed, they all hop on planes and head for LA, because homeless people all have valid ID's for flying and probably credit cards with air miles too
There was a non-scientific street survey recently conducted in L.A. and only one out of ten homeless people surveyed indicated they were actually from L.A. Other municipalities are clearly putting their undesirables on buses and sending them here.

BTW, 2Sleepy, when were you last in L.A. and which areas did you visit?

Old 10-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
There was a non-scientific street survey recently conducted in L.A. and only one out of ten homeless people surveyed indicated they were actually from L.A. Other municipalities are clearly putting their undesirables on buses and sending them here.

BTW, 2Sleepy, when were you last in L.A. and which areas did you visit?
Really, how about a link to that 'non scientific study'? When was I last in LA? About 18 months ago, which areas did I visit? none of your business.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:19 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
There was a non-scientific street survey recently conducted in L.A. and only one out of ten homeless people surveyed indicated they were actually from L.A. Other municipalities are clearly putting their undesirables on buses and sending them here
Yeah? Well there have been many actually scientific studies that report the inverse: about 8-9 in 10 homeless were formerly residents in the state (yes, California) where they are now on the streets. In fact, in LA, specifically:
- 75% lived, housed, in LA previously,
- 7% were from other counties in S. CA
- 4% were from other counties in CA
- 13% from other states
- 1% from other countries

Of the LA group:
- 65% lived in LA for more than 20 years before becoming homeless
- 9% lived in LA for between 10 and 20 years prior
- 7% lived in LA for between 5 and 10 years
- 10% from 1 to 5 years
- 10% less than a year

Now, all this information has been posted at least hundreds of times in this thread. In fact, CA4Now just posted the link this morning. Since you and the regular uninformed bashers apparently don’t bother to check the links and learn the facts, I have copied the percentages for you (above).

But here’s the link, again, if you want more education:
https://www.politifact.com/californi...nias-homeless/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles