Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 55,996 times

Advertisements

See below for information that may be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fefeford View Post
Compton is a town that has an undeserved reputation. Is it inner city ? Yes. Is it largely monority? Yes.

If your intentions are pure and you are there to help the community, you no doubt would be recieved favorably. However, if you are a wigger trying to make a video or a fake and you are just being curious, then no one is going to respect your motivation. By the way, anyone could get killed being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Especially in compromising situations that deal with drugs, gangs, crime etc.... in inner cities that aren't very well supported by our wonderful country.

What are your goals with your desired interviews? Are you comfortable enough in your own skin to deal with blacks to get your project accomplished? I am concerned because you are asking complete strangers, rather than a co-worker, neighbor, or friend. Inlist support from other of like mind. Maybe local government. Los Angeles County Children's Planning Council has a local group called Spa 3 (I believe). Anyway pull up Los Angeles County Children's Planning Council - Home (http://www.childrensplanningcouncil.org - broken link) and get the coordinators name. See what she can help you with. i am on their executive council and they do a lot of great things in the local communities all over L.A. County. Los Angeles Children's Planning Concil is both a profit and not for profit organization.

I have a friend that has a golf camp for the youth of Compton and it is quite successful. The kids are great and the Sherriff's department is even involved in the afterschool sports program there. It is at the ARMORY in Compton. The web address is Executives Fore Kids - Compton, California.

I don't believe you are out of your league if you are there trying to contribute to the betterment of the community. I applaud you for your efforts. But do strategize on ways to make the project more clear, planned and systematic. You will be held accountable and responsible from anyone willing to help you. Even if it's grass roots organizations that seem very mom and pop. There will be concerns about your overall engagement in such a project. As well as what you stand to gain from it. I am not from Compton but I am in Compton frequently and know many church members, family and extended family members there. In fact I am on my way there this afternoon.

I never said Compton was largely black. Obviously, Latino's make up most af all of our inner cities in L.A.

Reach out if you need help,

P.S. I just stumbled upon this blog, so I won't be accessing it in the future. Rather write back at my e-mail address.

Fefeford@ca.rr.com

fefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
So if I drove through Compton would a gangbanger roll up and bust a cap in my a$$? Would I get car jacked or is it safe for me 2 drive through? I wanna take some photo's and do some interviews with people in the street, but I won't if my life is in danger...oh, and i'm white; but not american. Any ideas?

Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM

65 posts, read 245,923 times
Why? Why? Why?
If you must do this, put an ad on the internet asking people to agree to meet with you, at a coffee shop or something. Or, have a large camera crew with you.
My concern isn't because Compton is so bad or because you are so white, it's just that you sound.....naive and "gung-ho" if you will. I'm afraid you might look at the wrong people funny.
Stay on the busy streets, don't go into residential streets, don't make eye contact, don't get lost. I'm begging you to take a camera crew, and maybe wear a clown suit.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 161,226 times
whenever I watch the news, it seems like crime is everywhere here. keifer sutherland got robbed in an exclusive area of la

Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 46,234 times
Default no title

Ok lol this is funny because I live in compton and to me its not a big of a deal. If you want to do the project, I suggest you just don't wear blue or red. If you want to talk to some people from around the area, some of the most friendly people would be in some of the stores and places like that. Yes walking on the street to a random person might be bad, so I wouldn't suggest it. If your going to walk around on the street, bring a friend with you and try to stay on the main streets. I'd suggest the westside of the city (central to about alondra). But if you want to go farther into the city, then go for it. And to answer the main question, you can die anywhere, not just in compton. These things can happen to you Living in LA period.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Yes, Compton has its bad element. But every race has this level. I wouldn't be caught dead in many of the rural backwoods portions of white America, where it is commonplace to inbreed, sodomize animals, kill for sport, and rape livestock. I wonder how many murders in these remote areas go unreported?

So... this is for effect, right? You don't really believe this, do you?

By the way, I think Wilmington looks pretty nice. Love some of the architecture. Sure, it looks rough in spots, but those are the breaks.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM

99 posts, read 570,173 times
No you won't. Crime is higher there so be aware, but some of its reputation is derived from those who think they're bragging when they say they're from a 'tough' town. Some of Compton's reputation is from poor or formerly poor white folks who need someone to feel better than. So, the crime is higher but, unlike Columbine or Paducah, the violence is generally gang-related and geared to a specific person... usually. You won't find mass shootings of uninvolved people like you will in rural, middle America & serial killing is not an 'inner city' thing. Go. Be safe. Be friendly. Have fun... and don't let Americans make you into a hick.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
You may be safer than you think according to this article. It says crime has greatly dropped in SoCal.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,358 times
If your not from the hood then don't pass through, else some OG Fool might blast you!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,893 times
What if you wear both Blue and Red? What will happen then? Will you confuse the crips and bloods to the point of killing themselves?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
What if you wear both Blue and Red? What will happen then? Will you confuse the crips and bloods to the point of killing themselves?

Yes, seen it happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles