Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 PM
XL2

10 posts, read 30,062 times

Advertisements

Some of the responses in this thread have truly been sickening. As someone who is very familiar with Miami Gardens. I must say it is NOT one big ghetto where everyone is poor, blasting music from their houses, selling drugs or has a criminal record. There are over 100,000 people in Miami Gardens and just like any other place with that many people, there are actually good parts of it as well as bad parts. Believe it or not, there are actually parts of Miami Gardens that don't look run down, where people actually take very good care of their houses and lawns and the vibe there is the same as any regular suburb in Miami or the US for that matter. The way some of you are broad brushing these neighborhoods as entirely ghetto, entirely poor and entirely run down is disgusting. Moderator cut: Trolling

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-14-2009 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 PM

391 posts, read 513,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Not only you are right but anybody that has been here for years, knows that the bad areas here have always been crappy, and have been there for a very loooong time.

This place used to be much uglier in the past. This place used to be the Rich(Oceanfront) Dirt poor (right next to it, by US1, metrorail or Federal Hwy) and then the middle class came who moved further West. This is how it is right now. No Kendall, no Weston, no Doral, No Plantation, no Parkland) Get over yourselves.

This isn't exactly true. The bad areas got crappy in the 60's because the government needed a place to take land away from people and put in two highways. I-95 and 836 had a lot to do with messing up a relatively well orgainized well respected neighborhood. Who else could they get away with ****ing over in the 60's? Beware of emminent domain.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
From what I have learned Overtown wasn't as bad as it has been the last 20 years. Back in the hey day of Miami beach the famous music performers would head over to Overtown to perform after their shows on Miami Beach. So I don't think back in the hey day it could of been that bad, if famous people where going there to perform.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
This isn't exactly true. The bad areas got crappy in the 60's because the government needed a place to take land away from people and put in two highways. I-95 and 836 had a lot to do with messing up a relatively well orgainized well respected neighborhood. Who else could they get away with ****ing over in the 60's? Beware of emminent domain.
It wasn't just the highways but Civil Rights had a lot to do with it,once the citizens were no longer confined they moved out of Overtown to make a better life for themselves. The area declined,the less fortunate stayed behind and Overtown has never been the same.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,987 times
I came across this forum while looking up info on Miami to prove to a friend how ghetto it really was and I figured, hey, I'll post my 2 cents after living in Miami for 12 weeks from sept-dec for school. I guess this will be good for New Yorkers who have to come to Miami and probably share(d) my perspective of Miami.

First of all, leave the Miami you've seen on "Kardashians" or whatever other crappy tv show you've watched behind...Miami is not all South Beach and sun. I had heard this before I arrived, and it is as true as can be (I had vacationed in SoBe before but never mainland). First and foremost, Miami is a city (though small to a NYer) and shares all the same problems. Granted, there are parts of Miami that are so nice, I would be the one to get arrested for looking like a criminal...but these parts are scattered and not the majority.

I am from Brooklyn, NY, and currently live in a relatively safe Brooklyn neighborhood. NY is "safe" these days, but is still, in my opinion, pound for pound the most dangerous city. Lowest murder rate, but remember, 8 million people in NYC vs. 500,000 in Miami. Lately, the news has been bragging about how low the murder rate is in NYC, but still, 500 people killed last year...more than one per day. The difference is, in Miami, the bad neighborhoods seem to equal or out-number the good. In NY, the good neighborhoods by faarrrrrrrrrr out-number the bad.

I moved to Miami for a short assignemnt for school, and was told my apartment was in Miami Shores, which I read was a decent neigborhood. It was close to Miami Shores...but not actually in Miami Shores...it was in Little Haiti/Little River! Little Haiti is about 20 blocks south of Miami Shores. Little Haiti is a ghetto, and it is a ghetto that NYer's are not used to. In NY, everyone pretty much minds their business. Even when in a "bad" neighborhood, which I have to venture into for school/work in NY, if you don't look like a scared idiot, you're fine. I mean, yes, bad things can happen, but they tend to happen to people who invite the trouble. Didn't seem so in Miami. I'm a white guy with a crappy car, and I certainly don't dress like I have money (because I sure as s- don't...) but I was a biiiig outsider. My NY plates couldn't have helped matters...

In NY, we don't have these 3rd world kind of ghettos with people in trailers and wooden shacks sitting on the sidewalk and staring right at you as you drive by or stop at a light. I've visited the Caribbean, and many areas in Miami felt like run-down Caribbean neighborhoods. Also, in NY there are tons of buildings with multiple floors and locked entrances. In Miami, many apartments are one floor deals (which I always hate to live in). My apartment was a 1 floor ranch-style place with easy means of entry for break-ins: a dead-bolted wooden door in the living room and another in the bedroom. Totally creepy to have an exit to the outside world in your bedroom. The advantage, I guess, is easy escape for you if someone breaks in! The place looked like a crack-den hooker motel that had been converted into apartments.

The place was cheap so I figured I would tough it out and keep to myself and follow typical city rules of survival...but to no avail. Someone tried to break in one night with...what I guess...was a crowbar. Fight took over flight and I grabbed my Louisville Slugger...I turned the lights on and yelled "I have a f-ing baseball bat, so you better have a gun or get the f lost". Dumb move maybe, but I lucked out that time. The perp must have not had a gun and left. I cautiously moved to a hotel that same night...and then to a cheap short-stay motel on Sunny Isles Beach (the Tribeca of Miami...the most beautiful place I have ever lived).

Very long story short, I have never been mugged, threatened, or felt very unsafe in NYC in 25 years, and 2 weeks in Miami almost got me killed (well, I almost did that I guess...). I should have known...the general rule is if you feel unsafe, you probably are. I never felt safe in that part of Miami...some other hell holes are Opa-Locka, Liberty City, and I am sure other people here mentioned other ghettos. I did not have to venture into too many of them. Bottom line is, many people only know of Miami Beach, not mainland Miami. Be very careful where you rent if you're from out of town because the bad areas are a-plenty! And if you're from NY, don't think you're untouchable...most of NYC is Disney World comapred to Miami.

Scariest place I have ever been, however, is Detroit by far! That is a another topic though...

Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 AM

248 posts, read 615,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
From what I have learned Overtown wasn't as bad as it has been the last 20 years. Back in the hey day of Miami beach the famous music performers would head over to Overtown to perform after their shows on Miami Beach. So I don't think back in the hey day it could of been that bad, if famous people where going there to perform.

I remember Overtown 35 years ago. It was a dangerous place where you could walk during daytime.

You are talking about the 50's, before disegregation. The Civil Rights Mouvement and the turnpike destroyed the area. Black music performers had to go to Overtown because they were not allowed to sleep in MB.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
^^^Exactly, way back when the huge singer would come to Miami Beach sing there, then afterwards go over to overtown to sing.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
I remember Overtown 35 years ago. It was a dangerous place where you could walk during daytime.

You are talking about the 50's, before disegregation. The Civil Rights Mouvement and the turnpike destroyed the area. Black music performers had to go to Overtown because they were not allowed to sleep in MB.

overtown and downtown miami started to decline in the mid 60's and reached its peak decline in the late 70's and early 80's imo

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 18,191 times
Pictures of goulds south Miami please anyone

Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,902 times
Every big city in the US "ghetto" areas looks the same. Whats so different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami