Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Melanie Griffith I always found very unconvincing. For the guys, who is that fruit cake who was the main star in "Twister" that was divorcing Helen Hunt in that lame subplot to that movie? He was at least as bad in every role I've seen him play.
That would be Bill Paxton.... Yeah, he's not too good, but I don't think anyone ever mistook him for a good actor so maybe he's not actually "overrated"...

I actually thought he was decent in "A Simple Plan". Great movie if you've never seen it. He'll always be known as the "Game over.... F'in game over" guy from 'Aliens' though, or Chet from 'Weird Science'.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 06:29 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
Natalie Portman - Smart girl and serves as a good role model to counter the Paris' and Britneys of young Hollywood, but as an actress, I really don't see what the big deal is. I thought she was the weakest link in both "Closer" and "Garden State", her two most praised roles.

Joaquin Phoenix - It's always very very clear to me that he IS acting. I never get lost in the character as you're supposed to with great actors. In "Walk The Line", it just seemed like an extended bad impression. I wasn't impressed with him in "Gladiator" or "To Die For" either.

Denzel Washington - I've never been overly impressed by him. To be fair, I don't think I've seen him in his most lauded performances like "Glory" and "Training Day" but I just don't get what the fuss is about. He's not a bad actor by any means, just not incredible in my book.

Catherine Zeta-Jones - I think it's just her "regal" accent that suddenly made her into acting royalty, because it sure as hell wasn't her acting abilities.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM

165 posts, read 555,264 times
Brad Pit
Angilina Jole
Tom Cruise

Pretty much the whole Ocean 11, 12, and 13 Crowd. Their calling these guys the New Rat Pack. Thats taking it a little to far. There has only been and will always be only the original Rat pack !!!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Natalie Portman - Smart girl and serves as a good role model to counter the Paris' and Britneys of young Hollywood, but as an actress, I really don't see what the big deal is. I thought she was the weakest link in both "Closer" and "Garden State", her two most praised roles.

Joaquin Phoenix - It's always very very clear to me that he IS acting. I never get lost in the character as you're supposed to with great actors. In "Walk The Line", it just seemed like an extended bad impression. I wasn't impressed with him in "Gladiator" or "To Die For" either.

Denzel Washington - I've never been overly impressed by him. To be fair, I don't think I've seen him in his most lauded performances like "Glory" and "Training Day" but I just don't get what the fuss is about. He's not a bad actor by any means, just not incredible in my book.

Catherine Zeta-Jones - I think it's just her "regal" accent that suddenly made her into acting royalty, because it sure as hell wasn't her acting abilities.
In my opinion, Denzel Washington's best performance ever, and the one which should have won him the Oscar, was in Malcom X .

Old 07-08-2007, 06:58 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Wow,very few on here that I would disagree with.I would say there are ALOT of over rated actors....I also liked Bill Paxton in "Simple Plan",great movie,and hes easy on the eyes in "Big Love"

Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
True, Natalie Portman is a beauty but not sure acting is her calling. The movie "Closer" was just vulgar and vile.
Denzel Washington,to me, is a brilliant actor. At least he's versatile.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I think Portman has charisma, which obviously should not be mistaken for acting ability, but IMHO she does have that *star* quality and has not over-exposed herself in a too many films. My younger son and his buddy, the little punks, snuck into Closer for obvious reasons.
Quote:
I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
Enjoyed his silly "vexed" schtick in Gladiator but never believed his character in that movie or Walk the Line.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
He was good as a child in "Parenthood",he used a different name then (Leaf Phoenix I think)..I wonder if we confuse charisma with beauty.Natalie is pretty on the eyes,so is Keaneau,but not very good actors. I think some entertainers must have sold their souls to the devil,How else could one explain the phenomenal $ucce$$ of Travolta, Tom Cruise or Kenny Rodgers

Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
He was good as a child in "Parenthood",he used a different name then (Leaf Phoenix I think)..I wonder if we confuse charisma with beauty.Natalie is pretty on the eyes,so is Keaneau,but not very good actors. I think some entertainers must have sold their souls to the devil,How else could one explain the phenomenal $ucce$$ of Travolta, Tom Cruise or Kenny Rodgers
Phoenix didn't have all that much to do in Parenthood--but as small as his role was, it was a plum. I always preferred his brother River, too bad he got into hard drugs.
Obviously looks will come into play in Hollywood, the land of the superficial.
However, when it comes to the acting world, I think some actors simply play themselves, and it works.
There are lots of beautiful overrated actors who IMHO have no charisma at all--like the aforementioned Zeta-Jones.
Portman has confidence yet does not take herself too seriously; she has grace and humor, it will be interesting to see how or if she takes her career further, and in what direction.
Tom Cruise may be a weirdo but I thought he was pretty good in Collateral, and like Crew Chief, I will always have a soft spot for Top Gun.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 AM

48 posts, read 197,600 times
Angelina Jolie was great in Gia. She was also great as Lisa in Girl Interrupted. I think she deserved the praise she got for both of thoes roles. I will agree that she has done more bad roles than good, however. Also, she doesn't have a huge range. She can play psychotic and/or confident and sexually aggressive. I've heard good things about her performance in A Mighty Heart but have yet to see it. I agree that she has given some really bad performances. I'm glad they stopped trying to make her into a hot detective chick.

I think Brad has had some decent roles, I wouldn't say he's BAD. I don't think he is a great actor though, by any means. He's a movie star more than an actor. Often the two don't go together.

The likes of Jennifer Lopez and Paris Hilton do not belong in movies at all. ESPECIALLY Paris but that's a given. I think J Lo gives a good effort in her roles but she is neither an actress NOR a movie star.

Ben Affleck is pretty awful. Heath Ledger I agree is over-rated, I am curious how he will do as the Joker in Dark Knight.

Tom Cruise has had some great roles. I believed him and was charmed by him as Lestat in Interview...and he is a pretty decent action film star. He doesn't have a lot of range though, and his ego is staggering. He's definately over-rated, but again, this is a movie star much more than an actor.

I think Natalie Portman has potential. She is gorgeous AND intelligent...and she also seems fairly humble in interviews. That is very endearing. I agree she can be kind of bland. She occasionally suffers from the blank deer-in-headlights stare which seems to plague many beautiful female actresses. Her role in V for Vendetta shows that she has promise, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies