Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
You're quite the historian.

US History was my undergraduate major, and I taught that subject for many years before attending graduate school and moving-on to other disciplines. Thank you for noticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:08 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell12 View Post
The Haddonfield/CH/Mt. Laurel resident visiting Vineland would feel like he/she is in New Castle, DE except that the demographic is more non White Hispanic than Black. He or she won't find the nicer establishments in the visited area compared to near home. The suburban Philadelphia section of South Jersey is more in common with Central NJ than the other areas mentioned within South Jersey, with exception of maybe Atlantic County. You live in a transition area to the deep/rural part of NJ, which is going to make Mercer County up to South Brunswick much farther for you, than someone from Cherry Hill or Mt. Laurel.

And, you delineate South Jersey into four, but Central NJ doesn't exist and it's all North Jersey.
Except I never claimed that North Jersey was monolithic. Quite the contrary. I would only contend that it's all North Jersey (to us, in South Jersey). There would be even greater culture shock than in your example for a hypothetical Newark resident who travels to the backwoods of Sussex County. But it doesn't change the fact that it's all North Jersey.

The South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia are only superficially similar to areas of NJ further north (sidestepping whether they are "Central" or "North" Jersey)--e.g., roundabouts, traffic, etc. This is not a matter of whether a place is more rural or suburban. There are deeper cultural differences.

South Brunswick is not really on many people's radar in the areas off exits 3 or 4 of the Turnpike. It's all about Philadelphia, the Shore, etc. You do get some people who commute between that area and what you would call Central Jersey, but it's not a very large number, and hardly justifies your position.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I hope they bring cookies when they visit. No raisins.
Chocolate chips are OK, though.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,767,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Generally this.

Though I bet Union County would be debated here. I've heard arguments both ways for Union County, and don't have a strong opinion myself.

I also know people who would dispute Monmouth and Mercer.
This map is pretty close for me save Union. That's North Jersey.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:32 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,767,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Nice little picture, BUT. Two issues with it:

1. NO WAY Jersey Shore goes that far inland. Red Bank, yes. That map too far in...

2. Union County should not be included in Central NJ.

Rahway, Avenel, Iselin southernmost points of NNJ. Woodbridge and Edison Northernmost points of CNJ.
Right. That puts Jersey Shore way too far west.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Chocolate chips are OK, though.
There is no better cookie than the oatmeal raisin cookie. I had a lot of respect for jaymoney, but after that comment I don’t know anymore.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
There is no better cookie than the oatmeal raisin cookie. I had a lot of respect for jaymoney, but after that comment I don’t know anymore.
I'm on your team, man.

I was born in Hudson County NJ.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,641 times
When you look at the map, 195 runs right down the middle. Perhaps any county that highway goes through could be considered central. Everything above, north. Below, south.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Union County as Central Jersey is complete nonsense. That’s not even debatable. Also, I think the upper half of Ocean is Central...Toms River, Lakewood, and Seaside Heights do not feel South at all to me.

I’d nitpick by giving very small slivers of Burlington near Trenton and Warren from Phillpsburg down to Central, and upper Middlesex above the Raritan River to North.
parts of Union County are absolutely Central Jersey.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Raisins are fool's chocolate, be forewarned, be prepared!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey