Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 06:02 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Well, I’m one of those “ignorant” people that people like you complain about. For a 99.9% survival rate, I’m going out and living my normal life. I can pass any virus onto anybody, and I’ll take the 0.000001% chance of me or someone I know dying from it, if we even get it. Just you wait and see what damage you do to yourself by staying at home and the condescension of the way you’re speaking to me for going out and living my normal life. I might be going to the beach this weekend, I’m going to work tomorrow and I’m going to not one, but two, family parties this week. At Mass on Sundays, I take my mask off as soon as I sit down, as do many people in my packed Church. If you don’t like that, you stay home, but don’t you dare tell me how to live my life. It’s frankly none of your business.
Please stop spewing demonstrably false anti-scientific claims. The fatality rate for this virus, according to all the science we have, is somewhere in the range 0.5%-3%, not 0.1% as you claim.

And if you're going to make the "none of your business" argument, please figure out how to make the argument work when you are talking about a contagious disease, where your actions can impact a lot of people that you never even meet directly. The individualist argument works fine if you're talking about using substances in your own home, but not so much when you have a contagious virus circulating in your community and you could pass the virus on to others without even knowing you're sick. This pandemic really requires a mindset change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 06:16 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
The PA governor at least realizes PA is a swing state. If restaurants (many small businesses) were not permitted indoor dining, it'd lead to more dislike in Democratic leadership in PA that could hurt Biden's chances there. On the other hand, Murphy is taking advantage of the blueness of NJ.

If Biden wins, Murphy re-opens the state right in November, and it helps the numbers (two years from that point) to show that Biden restored the economy.

How many people from NJ are driving to PA to dine-in at a restaurant because they don't want to sit outside? Unless one lives in a border town, it's kind of a far drive. Most places with outside dining have umbrellas and the breeze at least keeps it comfortable.

Murphy is a political hack, as I've been saying.

NJ residents are his pawns, health and livelihoods be damned.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:30 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,084 times
Quote:
How many people from NJ are driving to PA to dine-in at a restaurant because they don't want to sit outside? Unless one lives in a border town, it's kind of a far drive. Most places with outside dining have umbrellas and the breeze at least keeps it comfortable.
It’s easy enough for people who live close to the borders. People in SW Jersey where most of the population is close to Philly, all of the way up through Hunterdon County. The tolls are not that expensive to cross the river, and some crossings are free. Then along the top of the state people living in Bergen, Passaic, etc. can cross into Rockland and Orange County for free.

A lot of people still prefer climate controlled dining. No need to worry about mosquitoes, bees, and flies. And if it’s raining, outdoor dining is a dud. And it’s been a very wet summer...also a very hot one to boot.

But I suppose it’s not just NJ residents crossing the border. How many people from NYC, Westchester, Rockland County would have gone to the Jersey Shore but went to Long Island instead because at the moment it is less restricted? Ditto for PA residents. How many of them turned down a Jersey Shore trip and went to a Delaware beach instead?

Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
My mom is 57, type 2 diabetic and she doesn't even own a mask, she just uses this thin nylon scarf as a face covering and she is literally taking too many chances and living her normal life. She barely leaves the house in her normal life anyway. She hates the pandemic and the tyranny we live in too.

But please, wear a face covering! It actually does help! I've noticed that ever since masks were mandated, I'm not sneezing or coughing as much, because I am not breathing in germs. I've noticed that i am not hearing annoying fat men with their stupid disgusting coughing noises they always make in public. But honestly, if someone decides to assault or throw hot food at retail employees over a mask, then they should go to hell.

I live in California where stores get crowded and social distancing is tough when people stand so close to you, and I haven't even gotten the virus. I would have known if I have the virus or not, because my grandparents would have gotten it from me by now! So masks do help, but yes some of the other restrictions are just absolute tyranny
What helps is this, unfortunately. We got hit hard, and thousands of our residents died. Thousands more were hospitalized. More people than we will ever really know of had the virus but showed no symptoms. New Jersey has likely reached a measure of immunity. See recent Bloomberg and Science Magazine articles detailing this.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:06 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Please stop spewing demonstrably false anti-scientific claims. The fatality rate for this virus, according to all the science we have, is somewhere in the range 0.5%-3%, not 0.1% as you claim.

And if you're going to make the "none of your business" argument, please figure out how to make the argument work when you are talking about a contagious disease, where your actions can impact a lot of people that you never even meet directly. The individualist argument works fine if you're talking about using substances in your own home, but not so much when you have a contagious virus circulating in your community and you could pass the virus on to others without even knowing you're sick. This pandemic really requires a mindset change.
This post is false. We don't know the mortality rate, but we are finding out now that far more people have contracted the virus than originally thought. That brings the rate way down. Most current estimates are 0.04%.

Also, from the CDC's own page, they are still counting deaths by group - pneumonia, influenza and Covid all lumped together.
Quote:
Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 (PIC) for week 33 is 7.8%. This is currently lower than the percentage during week 32 (12.6%); however, the percentage remains above the epidemic threshold and will likely increase as more death certificates are processed.
(Don't be confused by the percentage/numbers in the quote above. Those are percentages for all deaths. In other words, anything from auto accidents and shootings, to heart attacks. This is the number who died due to one of the three illnesses listed.)

Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 AM

1,839 posts, read 678,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
It’s easy enough for people who live close to the borders. People in SW Jersey where most of the population is close to Philly, all of the way up through Hunterdon County. The tolls are not that expensive to cross the river, and some crossings are free. Then along the top of the state people living in Bergen, Passaic, etc. can cross into Rockland and Orange County for free.

A lot of people still prefer climate controlled dining. No need to worry about mosquitoes, bees, and flies. And if it’s raining, outdoor dining is a dud. And it’s been a very wet summer...also a very hot one to boot.

But I suppose it’s not just NJ residents crossing the border. How many people from NYC, Westchester, Rockland County would have gone to the Jersey Shore but went to Long Island instead because at the moment it is less restricted? Ditto for PA residents. How many of them turned down a Jersey Shore trip and went to a Delaware beach instead?
At least from South Jersey to Philly, it's still far (30 minutes drive) unless one goes from Camden to Philly, or Burlington to Bristol. I guess my measure of far for restaurant dining isn't that high.

I think the pain for Jersey restaurants isn't defection to other states, but just lowered revenue. Take out dining and outdoor seating is limiting. I think some opened seating (25%) with a lot of measures, will help for those restaurants that want to offer it. I know a few restaurants that still require people to stand outside, pay over the phone ahead, for take-out and still won't permit the customer inside the restaurant to pay. Those restaurants might be last to open, while most seem not that restrictive.

For those from NJ, Delaware (and even Maryland) is still on a quarantine status from NJ and NY. Another point I disagree with Murphy on unless it was just to beach communities and high risk areas, especially for people in South Jersey as Delaware is a neighbor state in our region. Not sure what is going on in Murphy's head - why he has to follow NY and CT to the tee in the most restrictive ways but when they open, he doesn't follow, but Murphy anyways doesn't want NJ residents crossing to DE for sales tax free spending.

Last edited by g555; 08-25-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2020, 07:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Couldn't rep you again. I'm into my 50's now, so supposedly more at risk than you young whippersnappers. I don't care anymore - not about any of it. The response at this point in NJ is so over-the-top. We can't send our kids back to school because the teachers are all "scared". I swear their must be forking over a ton of $ to Murphy to keep up these ridiculous edicts. Europe went back to school and there hasn't been a single documented case of a student infecting a teacher, and NJ numbers and experience with the virus is similar. Certainly we're more like Europe in progression than the southwest.

I'm seriously going to start going into stores unmasked, not to buy anything, but just to make them throw me out. Time to start disobeying this crap if we can't move forward with the numbers we have now. And it's not low numbers because we're all masking and distancing. That's all just for show now. Teenagers have been hanging out with each other all summer. Camps and sports have resumed. People are having backyard parties. The private disregard needs to go public now.
You are playing russian roulette, the reason you are still safe because other people are wearing PPE to prevent people like you from getting sick. That's the reason you haven't gotten it. I know 2 other people that have gotten it and they will survive because they are not as old as you are. But once there are more people that think like you it takes just a little drop of the virus and you won't be posting here any longer.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:33 AM

668 posts, read 471,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
That’s what I mean. If I want to go work out, I’ll simply go to Rockland County, which kills New Jersey businesses.

This is exactly what I meant (with restaurants). It hurts that we have to go into another state to conduct business, when we could open these businesses, with restrictions, so they can actually make money. And obviously it's safe, it's being done ALL AROUND US and yet people aren't dying. Go figure.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:37 AM

668 posts, read 471,677 times
Quote:
For those from NJ, Delaware (and even Maryland) is still on a quarantine status from NJ and NY. Another point I disagree with Murphy on unless it was just to beach communities and high risk areas, especially for people in South Jersey as Delaware is a neighbor state in our region. Not sure what is going on in Murphy's head - why he has to follow NY and CT to the tee in the most restrictive ways but when they open, he doesn't follow, but Murphy anyways doesn't want NJ residents crossing to DE for sales tax free spending.

All good points. And i'm sorry, but how many of these people who are visiting from DE, MD, or any of the quarantine states are actually quarantining? My guess is that number is very low. I know of a person who has a vacation place in delaware, and she visits there twice a month. Do the math... she would never leave her house...

Old 08-25-2020, 08:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
All good points. And i'm sorry, but how many of these people who are visiting from DE, MD, or any of the quarantine states are actually quarantining? My guess is that number is very low. I know of a person who has a vacation place in delaware, and she visits there twice a month. Do the math... she would never leave her house...

1 out of 1,000 at best IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey