Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 12:29 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well that is easier said than done. Merck employees probably have more options financially to find that help than public school teachers. Do you really think everyone working from home in every field has child care at home?
I don't have any idea, and it doesn't matter. That's between them and their employer. In this case, the tax dollars of parents pay for the teachers' salaries. We are entitled to have that teacher devoting their teaching time to the kids in the class, not their own children. It's not our problem to take care of that end. Maybe Murphy should have thought about the teachers' financial situation and childcare before he let every school do whatever plan they wanted - resulting in this chaos.

Let's say a teacher has to stay home because their own first-grader's school closed. Is that first-grader capable of online learning all day with no input from the parent? If not, then who helps out? The teacher who is supposed to be helping/teaching other kids?

We are supposed to be doing six hour days, with a short break for lunch. What young kid can do that alone? Do you think parents are supposed to just shrug and not worry about whether the teacher is torn in two directions, when online learning already sucks? My older kid is a junior. This is a pretty key year in terms of learning, SAT prep, getting a good enough classroom experience to pass AP exams...

If a parent has a young kid that now can't go to school, yet they have to go to work and can't afford childcare, do their needs not count? Funny how teachers in the past have told parents that school isn't childcare, yet now that they need the same childcare due to school closures, the view has changed.

I'm applying to substitute teach. I believe in not just complaining, but doing whatever I can to help. I have enormous sympathy for teachers, but also for everyone else struggling. This isn't a one-sided, cut-and-dried issue, but I'm always - and completely unapologetically - going to advocate for my kids first. It's my job as a mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 07:13 PM

365 posts, read 423,897 times
To answer the OP question. The day after election day if the Dems win

Old 08-31-2020, 07:17 PM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I am not eager for a spike, but can't help but wonder what the schools will do when kids get sniffles. Whether it is covid-19 or not, we will have to just shut the schools down until we can get confirmation this virus is way too deadly to be messing around with this stuff. Oh and by the way indoor dining isn't safe if the kids have sniffles. So yeah, not eager for a spike but just can see that scenario unfolding. 2 weeks, I give it 2 weeks after schools open that you start seeing little cases of sniffles here and there followed by the school unions saying see, see they all have covid
Ok, so we’ll never send our students back to school again? Because this virus is going to remain with us, and we may never have a vaccine. Case in point: I went to the beach yesterday. There was a minuscule chance I could’ve gotten killed on the way there barreling down the Garden State Parkway in a steel box. Someone could’ve been going the wrong way, and that would’ve been the end of me. But I went anyway. Do you get scared when you get in your car? When you go on a date and then it goes well and you go back to their place, there’s a minuscule chance they’ll jump you or kill you. But you don’t stay single and never go on a date again because of the microscopic risk, do you?

Expecting people to hide forever, to the extent that you seem to expect it, or for at least another year until we have a vaccine, is really truly delusional. If you want to, then do it. But don’t expect schools to do the same thing. I graduated college in May, so it no longer applies to me, but my university began in-person classes last week and they’re doing just fine. I can’t tell which side of this you’re on, so I apologize if you were being sarcastic and saying people are being silly by being so scared. But if you’re on the extremely paranoid side, you’re going to have to get used to people resuming their lives. The beach I was at yesterday was jam packed with people that decided they don’t want to hide anymore and are ok with the minuscule risk of becoming seriously ill, if they even get COVID at all.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
to answer the op question. The day after election day if the dems win
100%

Old 09-01-2020, 01:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
100%
https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status...06007143768065

Is it really that hard for you to stop posting falsehoods?

Old 09-01-2020, 05:05 AM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Ok, so we’ll never send our students back to school again? Because this virus is going to remain with us, and we may never have a vaccine. Case in point: I went to the beach yesterday. There was a minuscule chance I could’ve gotten killed on the way there barreling down the Garden State Parkway in a steel box. Someone could’ve been going the wrong way, and that would’ve been the end of me. But I went anyway. Do you get scared when you get in your car? When you go on a date and then it goes well and you go back to their place, there’s a minuscule chance they’ll jump you or kill you. But you don’t stay single and never go on a date again because of the microscopic risk, do you?

Expecting people to hide forever, to the extent that you seem to expect it, or for at least another year until we have a vaccine, is really truly delusional. If you want to, then do it. But don’t expect schools to do the same thing. I graduated college in May, so it no longer applies to me, but my university began in-person classes last week and they’re doing just fine. I can’t tell which side of this you’re on, so I apologize if you were being sarcastic and saying people are being silly by being so scared. But if you’re on the extremely paranoid side, you’re going to have to get used to people resuming their lives. The beach I was at yesterday was jam packed with people that decided they don’t want to hide anymore and are ok with the minuscule risk of becoming seriously ill, if they even get COVID at all.
You are preaching to the choir. I think this whole thing is a bunch of BS and that the virus is statistically insignificant. It is the other 99% that reside in New Jersey who want to lock down schools at the mention of the word "peanut". The ones who think that a gun is going to jump out of a cabinet and start chasing down innocent people. The ones who demand we create a law for every tragic death in the name of a victim. The ones who have their lawyer on retainer. The ones who think the purpose of the state legislature is to make people feel good, and naturally, the ones who refuse to pump their own gas because they dont want their hands to smell like gas or be out in the cold. Coincidentally, these are the same types that complain about the cleanliness of a public bathroom but pee all over the seats to avoid touching the seat by squatting over it or just peeing on the floor. And I would bet that most of the close the schools crowd has their kids enrolled in contact sports and spends weekends with groups of friends and waiting in line at Target.

That is why I am not optimistic about the future of schools or dining being open. (TL;DR: 99% of NJ residents are complete tools)

Old 09-01-2020, 05:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
You are preaching to the choir. I think this whole thing is a bunch of BS and that the virus is statistically insignificant. It is the other 99% that reside in New Jersey who want to lock down schools at the mention of the word "peanut". The ones who think that a gun is going to jump out of a cabinet and start chasing down innocent people. The ones who demand we create a law for every tragic death in the name of a victim. The ones who have their lawyer on retainer. The ones who think the purpose of the state legislature is to make people feel good, and naturally, the ones who refuse to pump their own gas because they dont want their hands to smell like gas or be out in the cold. Coincidentally, these are the same types that complain about the cleanliness of a public bathroom but pee all over the seats to avoid touching the seat by squatting over it or just peeing on the floor. And I would bet that most of the close the schools crowd has their kids enrolled in contact sports and spends weekends with groups of friends and waiting in line at Target.

That is why I am not optimistic about the future of schools or dining being open. (TL;DR: 99% of NJ residents are complete tools)

Good post but I don't think it's as high as "99%" though.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:50 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,043,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well that's going to be a problem for a lot of people. I smoked for 40 years, I tend to get bronchitis in winter. You think I want to start coughing in Walmart?? You think the people around me are going to be cool with that? People are going to get sick in winter and get colds and coughs, and no one is going to know if it's just a cold and cough or something more. So what happens in the restaurant when someone starts coughing, or the gym, or the hairdresser or the movie theater? This is hardly just going to be a school problem.
Well, I’ve been coughing for a few months here and there and no one bats an eye, but it might be a different story in a gym for an hour or two.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:28 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
To answer the OP question. The day after election day if the Dems win
Actually it’s this coming Friday.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Yes, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but now that I know we agree, you've summed the left up perfectly. It's really insane nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey