Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 10:13 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

This one already is. Read about it the last couple of days.

https://www.app.com/videos/news/loca...csp=chromepush

Old 08-25-2020, 10:39 AM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Please stop spewing demonstrably false anti-scientific claims. The fatality rate for this virus, according to all the science we have, is somewhere in the range 0.5%-3%, not 0.1% as you claim.

And if you're going to make the "none of your business" argument, please figure out how to make the argument work when you are talking about a contagious disease, where your actions can impact a lot of people that you never even meet directly. The individualist argument works fine if you're talking about using substances in your own home, but not so much when you have a contagious virus circulating in your community and you could pass the virus on to others without even knowing you're sick. This pandemic really requires a mindset change.
I make it work because I am going out. In going out, I’ve decided that I’m ok with the risk of either getting it or passing it onto one of my young friends or family members, who will survive. You stay home because you’re not ok with the risk, and that’s perfectly fine. Don’t try to change my mind, and I won’t try to change yours. I am resuming my life, and already have. If you don’t like it, too bad. I could also pass along the cold or flu, but I go out anyway. I could also get killed driving to work every day, but I do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 02:13 PM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You are playing russian roulette, the reason you are still safe because other people are wearing PPE to prevent people like you from getting sick. That's the reason you haven't gotten it. I know 2 other people that have gotten it and they will survive because they are not as old as you are. But once there are more people that think like you it takes just a little drop of the virus and you won't be posting here any longer.
OOOH, I’m scared. Yeah, a little drop and the guy's automatically dead. That's probably right. You keep living in your fantasy world. The rest of us have jobs to do and social lives we actually plan to maintain. I'm not even criticizing you for staying at home. Do it if you want, but don't you dare lecture the rest of us that don't feel the exact same way as you. I wear a mask when I walk into Church on Sundays for example. After I sit down in my pew, it comes right off.

Last edited by xxblue100; 08-25-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 09:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You are playing russian roulette, the reason you are still safe because other people are wearing PPE to prevent people like you from getting sick. That's the reason you haven't gotten it. I know 2 other people that have gotten it and they will survive because they are not as old as you are. But once there are more people that think like you it takes just a little drop of the virus and you won't be posting here any longer.
Well, after numerous tests, my doctor says she’s now convinced I had it, so there goes that idea. Sorry, but I’m still here, alive and kicking.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:05 AM

7,386 posts, read 3,542,914 times
A woman close to me is in her mid 80s, a cancer survivor lives on her own said "how many years do I have left? I am not going to spend them sitting at home" so she wears her mask and does what she wants to do like see friends, go shopping, out to eat, etc. She knows she isn't going live forever and that one day she might not have her mental ability or physical ability so she is enjoying herself now because at her age who knows. She still drives she knows maybe in a few years she won't be driving anymore.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I make it work because I am going out. In going out, I’ve decided that I’m ok with the risk of either getting it or passing it onto one of my young friends or family members, who will survive. You stay home because you’re not ok with the risk, and that’s perfectly fine. Don’t try to change my mind, and I won’t try to change yours. I am resuming my life, and already have. If you don’t like it, too bad. I could also pass along the cold or flu, but I go out anyway. I could also get killed driving to work every day, but I do it anyway.
But what if the balance between getting back to normal life and complete lock-in was just being respectful of others? You said you'd be ok with passing COVID onto "young friends or family", but you don't know which of them have people who are sick or vulnerable that they will spend time with, which is really the core of the problem. I had a coworker/friend die late last year - he was in treatment for cancer and was really vulnerable. It almost certainly wasn't COVID that got him, but given how easily COVID spreads, he would have been in immense risk today. But ultimately that's the point - he's gone, his wife lost her partner, his young child lost their parent, and he should have lived a few more years with treatment - he was a guy that probably would have raged against a government mask mandate and restrictions. How many people are there in your extended circle that you don't know are vulnerable? I have two family members, not in my household, that are in a high risk category. I have no idea how many there are a circle or two beyond that. I am vigilant about wearing a mask when out, I do less indoor stuff in public than I otherwise might have and I avoid busy times when shopping. I take heavy precautions before seeing them. And by the way, I have a young family member in a low risk category that spent over a month fighting COVID-19 and visited the ER multiple times.

How much disease and death (including but not limited to COVID) could we push back if sick kids weren't sent to school, if sick workers stayed home, and we all took reasonable precautions? Reality is we've flaunted the risk for years and we may ultimately have overcorrected for COVID, but we should be taking infectious disease a lot more seriously than we do.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:13 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
There's nothing wrong with resuming one's life. What I never understood is why folks are so vehemently opposed to wearing a mask. You say you wear a mask to walk into church, but once you sit down it comes off. I mean, what's the point then? To suggest mask-wearing is merely a placebo effect is absurd.

You certainly can get killed driving to work. But if not wearing a seat-belt wasn't against the law, would you not still do it? We can live our lives without throwing caution to the wind.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You certainly can get killed driving to work. But if not wearing a seat-belt wasn't against the law, would you not still do it? We can live our lives without throwing caution to the wind.
wait a second, are you suggesting that people will make educated decisions regarding their safety without the government mandating them to?

Old 08-26-2020, 09:39 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
wait a second, are you suggesting that people will make educated decisions regarding their safety without the government mandating them to?
Replace the word 'will' with 'should' and you'd have something there. I'd love to live in that world. Unfortunately, this isn't it.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,743 times
Gyms announced to open 9/1 at 25% capacity. Must wear masks. Still nothing on indoor dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey