Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Only the first thing on her list pertained to state employees. But it covers anyone with a pension it is not only state pensions. Lots of current retirees have private company pensions. The other things in the list apply to “rest of us”.
You are correct on all points, except for my gender.

Yes, all folks who are pensioners will benefit from the elimination of state income tax liability--as long as they don't exceed the income cap.

And, I think that Slunk misinterpreted the "saving" reference in regard to healthcare for state employees and retirees. The "saving" refers to the state's expenditures for healthcare, which are now ~$30 million per year less than they used to be. With the cooperation of the various unions, this change to lower-cost health plans was negotiated. Clearly, that reduction in costs benefits everyone in the state.

Additionally, he has "retired" some of the state's old higher-interest debt by paying it off with money that was borrowed last year at amazingly low rates. This is simply smart financial planning, similar to refinancing one's mortgage when rates drop.

And, by improving the state's credit rating as a result of the biggest pension fund payment in over 20 years, he has thereby reduced the cost of future borrowing. Nobody likes borrowing by a government, but the reality is that it happens all the time, and if it is possible to reduce the interest rate paid on that borrowing, that benefits everyone... except the banks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 01:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
And, I think that Slunk misinterpreted the "saving" reference in regard to healthcare for state employees and retirees. The "saving" refers to the state's expenditures for healthcare, which are now ~$30 million per year less than they used to be. With the cooperation of the various unions, this change to lower-cost health plans was negotiated. Clearly, that reduction in costs benefits everyone in the state.
Yes, this was a nice win for everyone involved. We use my wife’s health insurance and switching to the new plan saves us a significant amount of money in health insurance premiums every month.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:46 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,845,129 times
Democrats are destroying America... I REALLY hope NJ votes in Jack.

Seeing signs for him all over the place.

Just sayin'....

Old 10-24-2021, 10:11 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Democrats are destroying America... I REALLY hope NJ votes in Jack.

Seeing signs for him all over the place.

Just sayin'....
Not going to happen. There aren't any swing voters any more; those voters are now CNN/nj.com voters, which means they're a solid lock for the Democrats.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:41 PM

1,146 posts, read 862,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Not going to happen. There aren't any swing voters any more; those voters are now CNN/nj.com voters, which means they're a solid lock for the Democrats.
It could very well happen. Latest Polls have the race at a dead heat, which could truly mean Jack C. Is ahead.
Also, I hardly know anyone who is voting for Murphy at this point. If you look at News 12 FB page or even Murphy's own FB page, hardly anyone supports him there either.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:27 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
It could very well happen. Latest Polls have the race at a dead heat, which could truly mean Jack C. Is ahead.
Also, I hardly know anyone who is voting for Murphy at this point. If you look at News 12 FB page or even Murphy's own FB page, hardly anyone supports him there either.
You probably have your voter fraud post in your drafts already

Old 10-24-2021, 01:32 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Anecdotal experience is not a reliable indicator. As I mentioned in an earlier post, just before the 1980 election for POTUS I did an informal survey of--IIRC--20-30 co-workers plus several friends, and based on that anecdotal evidence it looked like Carter was a sure winner. Obviously, he was trounced by Reagan, but one could not have predicted that from what I had been told.

And, in case anyone is interested, I voted for John Anderson, the independent candidate for POTUS in 1980. Several others of my acquaintance also said that they voted for him, and he did wind-up with over 5 million popular votes, but he earned zero electoral votes.

So much for anecdotal evidence...

Old 10-24-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You probably have your voter fraud post in your drafts already
Where the hell are you getting voter fraud from. My post had nothing to do with that. Deflecting and changing the subject is what you do best.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Anecdotal experience is not a reliable indicator. As I mentioned in an earlier post, just before the 1980 election for POTUS I did an informal survey of--IIRC--20-30 co-workers plus several friends, and based on that anecdotal evidence it looked like Carter was a sure winner. Obviously, he was trounced by Reagan, but one could not have predicted that from what I had been told.

And, in case anyone is interested, I voted for John Anderson, the independent candidate for POTUS in 1980. Several others of my acquaintance also said that they voted for him, and he did wind-up with over 5 million popular votes, but he earned zero electoral votes.

So much for anecdotal evidence...
Well, it is not 1980 now AND the entire social media platform against Murphy on his own FB page right now in 2021 is nothing compared to a few friends and co-workers in 1980. LMAO. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:17 PM

318 posts, read 451,199 times
The political climate is much different now. However, Carter lost because of record inflation and a general distrust in government, which led to Reagan and shrinking government. I guess democrats still haven't learned to balance a checkbook in the last 40+ years.

Politics is a lot like sports. You need to have the momentum on your side at the right time. Jack has the momentum right now. A month ago Murphy probably would have won. Granted not by as much as a lot of people here think. But everyday that goes on now the momentum is behind Jack. Murphy is done. Another loser like Corzine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey