Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 07:12 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,871,342 times

Advertisements

Hey CJ! Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience.

I am not going to share my story until the VERY end of this... (just in case) but it will be interesting. I have been holding back for obvious reasons.

It's been a hellish couple of weeks (well, MONTHS) but good luck to people who made it and get to live there!!!!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANEVICTORIA21 View Post
Same here approved just waiting for the call from the lease signing company
Congrats! when did you guys get the call? Monday?

Old 12-12-2016, 09:12 PM

155 posts, read 187,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ725 View Post
Hello all, it has been real!i went in to sign the TIC forms and the amount of rent they said my husband and i would have to pay was almost 2,000 for a 1 bedroom. We currently pay 1600 for a 2 bedroom.

They said we were 3,000 over the salary bracket to qualify for the affordable( for us) rent of 1314, so somehow making 3k more (which was a projection number they came up with for our future gross salary, not considering possible losses or tax rates, or not getting a bonus this year from my job) , means that we can afford to pay 5,000 more in rent a year for less space.

Disappointed and very disheartening as my husband's self employed and his salary fluctuates so there is no fair number they could come up with that would be accurate

We signed the TIC forms anyway to see if somehow by the grace of God, HDC calculates our numbers differently than they will... but we doubt they will and we can't pay MORE when the whole point was to make it affordable for us now.

So our slot will be up for grabs off the waitlist for someone who makes 75-95k (after taxes this is more like - 42-3"45 /52-55 a year) and can afford it in about a month.

Word is many people are rejecting apartments in middle income range because the calculations they came up with suggest 1900 or more for 1bdrm is affordable.

We were told a story about a 3 family who based on salary calculations, said they could pay 3,000$ for a 2 bedroom.

They Said she just got up and walked out. Lol.

Well, it's been real folks! I wish you all the absolute best of luck.

And my apologies but I didn't even attempt to ask about move in timing or dates.

Out of curiosity we will go see the apartment next week and if approved they will call us still, but unless the number is lower, we will reject it at that time. I'm 98% sure about that.
Wow interesting to hear this.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,076 times
I haven't received any notification since the first interview, should I be concerned ?

Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,033 times
yea be concerned. probably got rejectd. too bad

Old 12-13-2016, 06:07 AM

56 posts, read 88,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naaquan View Post
I haven't received any notification since the first interview, should I be concerned ?
If you haven't received anything at all, I would contact them

Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 AM

74 posts, read 93,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ725 View Post
Hello all, it has been real!i went in to sign the TIC forms and the amount of rent they said my husband and i would have to pay was almost 2,000 for a 1 bedroom. We currently pay 1600 for a 2 bedroom.
So sorry to hear this, after months of going through this. Exactly what I'm worried about, too - with a lot of different freelance incomes, they calculated my income at about 4x what it actually is - despite years of back taxes proving a more realistic figure. Isn't there an option to appeal/recalculate past this point? I can't believe they would arbitrarily tell you what you can afford despite proof to the contrary.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,088 times
HEY EVERYONE, just like some of you I still haven't heard anything yet. I honestly gave up especially after reading all these comments but something told me to call them up today and the lady just told me that they are STILL doing interviews and that yes it can take up to 2 - 10 months. I went on my interview in sep and haven't gotten any kind of letter yet which I told her she said if I haven't gotten a rejection letter I basically still have a chance but who knows just thought I would share. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL

Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM

132 posts, read 178,667 times
Wow congrats to everyone that was accepted.

I am desperately trying to remain hopeful here Id give anything to get one of these apartments T_T

Old 12-13-2016, 10:04 AM

114 posts, read 180,493 times
just FYI: while i would recommend getting in contact, it is in no way guaranteed that radio silence = rejection. i had gotten paranoid and contacted the office recently, and i haven't been rejected. i interviewed in august and have heard literally nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery