Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 PM

86 posts, read 104,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Some people on the waitlist end up getting an apartment is all I'm saying.

It would be nice to be informed how far along on the waiting list one is. If anything, create a new log # system for the waiting list. anyway, i am so over this, i am so over this city. I only check in on these threads because I'm some sort of twisted masochist.
I was told I was number 2 on the waitlist for my income band of 2 bedroom.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 PM

34 posts, read 62,395 times
Quote:
HellUp, they do a random choosing at the beginning of the lottery to pull numbers. You could have a log # of 1 but if you aren't of the original 20 K or so #'s pulled off the list, you won't ever get contacted. Once those 20K people are pulled out of 90K or so, they then whittle down.
What makes you say that? That would make zero sense... People are assigned lottery numbers for a reason, otherwise the first step in the process (receiving a lottery number) would be pointless. The management companies work through the log #'s in chronological order, starting with preferences. They may skip over people they deem unqualified but there is no randomization after log #'s are given.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM

74 posts, read 93,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
What makes you say that? That would make zero sense... People are assigned lottery numbers for a reason, otherwise the first step in the process (receiving a lottery number) would be pointless. The management companies work through the log #'s in chronological order, starting with preferences. They may skip over people they deem unqualified but there is no randomization after log #'s are given.
Not quite how it works. They don't go in order. The log numbers are chosen somewhat randomly at first (don't know if they separate prefs before or after drawing numbers). The log numbers don't really come into play until lining up the order of who gets the final apartments, after you've cleared the various stages of approval. Thus some of us with higher log #s were cleared first and then waited a while til they moved through lower numbers to get to us. This is the only thing that explains how some of us who had log #s in the thousands were in the original wave of interviews, while people with much lower numbers got called in later.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 PM

34 posts, read 62,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crwnhtsresident View Post
Not quite how it works. They don't go in order. The log numbers are chosen somewhat randomly at first (don't know if they separate prefs before or after drawing numbers). The log numbers don't really come into play until lining up the order of who gets the final apartments, after you've cleared the various stages of approval. Thus some of us with higher log #s were cleared first and then waited a while til they moved through lower numbers to get to us. This is the only thing that explains how some of us who had log #s in the thousands were in the original wave of interviews, while people with much lower numbers got called in later.
Perhaps that's right. It's hard to know exactly what the management company's process is. But is there evidence of people with higher log #'s actually getting apartments before people with lower log #'s? Or is there just some delay in the method of how they setup the initial intake interviews? I still don't believe that higher #'s could somehow skip the line due to a "random selection" process, unless there's evidence to the contrary.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:23 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
I'm not worried about 461... I'll tell you that

Old 03-01-2017, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 11,104 times
Has anyone else seen or moved into an F layout unit? Has anyone been able to find a picture of the floor-plan online?

I got all panicky when I went to see it and did an awful job of taking pictures. Just wondering if anyone could help me out with a few more! It'd be really nice to see how people used the layout, too, because it seems a bit tight. Not complaining!

Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 11,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbiv View Post
Has anyone else seen or moved into an F layout unit? Has anyone been able to find a picture of the floor-plan online?

I got all panicky when I went to see it and did an awful job of taking pictures. Just wondering if anyone could help me out with a few more! It'd be really nice to see how people used the layout, too, because it seems a bit tight. Not complaining!
To be clear, mine would be a 1 bedroom. Turns out there are F units that are 2 bedrooms, as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
There's no actual similar lines in this building. There's 23 different floorplans because of modular nature of how it was constructed. So all "F" units won't necessarily be the same on each floor. Go to streeteasy and look at past rentals and current rentals and look at the floor plans, you might find one that matches what you have seen.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM

24 posts, read 39,720 times
Quote:
There's no actual similar lines in this building. There's 23 different floorplans because of modular nature of how it was constructed. So all "F" units won't necessarily be the same on each floor. Go to streeteasy and look at past rentals and current rentals and look at the floor plans, you might find one that matches what you have seen.
Random question Aquarius: You were waitlisted after you signed papers for HDC for this apt complex?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:13 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Here's my breakdown:
Had my intake interview in october.
Called back in November to sign papers to be sent to HDC. Viewed a specific apartment that the management company said was assigned to me. Then a lot of time passed. In around December or January I was asked to send in my last two paycheck stubs (same as always). Then got the mass email about being placed on the waiting list.

To be fair my log number was VERY high, but I had CB pref so I thought maybe that helped, but now looking back. duh. I got my hopes up waaaaaaaaaaay too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery