Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 02:46 PM

46 posts, read 42,837 times

Advertisements

Is this the provisional “qualified” for, or is this HPD approval too?

Utilities are not included, and I believe the rent does not fluctuate based on your income (other than incrementally, but it’s not income based).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 02:47 PM

You could appeal — and suggest that your income actually isn’t in the 130% range, but in 60%

Old 08-13-2020, 02:58 PM

46 posts, read 44,891 times
Hey Box,

That’s a bit confusing seeing as candidates are only “approved” for units they qualify for (based on reported/pre tax income) based on W2’s, 1099’s, etc.

In previous lotteries I’ve gotten the following notice when the units I applied for were filled up before my log # was reached. See below

“ We have received your application for residency in the project indicated above. Although we have reached your log number, according to the information on your application, you do not meet the current guidelines for the remaining available units.”

The notice then goes on to show the remaining units (studio) in the 130% AMI - which I did not accept since we’re a family of 4.

Is this the same notice you received?

To directly answer your question - no you would not be able to accept the 130% AMI unit if your income dictates that you fall within the 60%.

If they offered it to you it was only a formality since your income could have possibly increased from the time you initially turned in income info till now.

Hope this helps

Last edited by DrManhattan1900; 08-13-2020 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 PM

Well, I think they can determine a persons income is higher than they reported — which does happen. In which case, if they calculated your income to be in 130% but you’re actually in 60% you can try to appeal your case.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 10,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box0301 View Post
I got approved for a 130% AMI 2 bedroom for $2300 rent, but problem is that my tax returns gross income is really 60% AMI. The $2300 rent is more than half of my take home income which doesnt make any sense as I make 50K a year. If I get in does the rent go down if my income also goes down or is it locked at $2300 if I accept this now? And does this $2300 include electricity, gas and maintenance? What other hidden costs is associated if I accept this offer?
Yes your tax returns may say 60% ami and salary did you make any overtime from when you submitted your paystubs to the management because that can be a factor. And also the rent does not decrease or increase based on salary once the rent is finalized as stated on lease that what you will be paying until the lease is renewed then it increases based on rent board guidelines

Old 08-13-2020, 03:10 PM

16 posts, read 13,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2631 View Post
Well, I think they can determine a persons income is higher than they reported — which does happen. In which case, if they calculated your income to be in 130% but you’re actually in 60% you can try to appeal your case.
How do you appeal? But wouldnt this affect my current position in line? As isn't this a time sensitive matter on a first come first serve basis? Been wanting to move out of our current location for a long time already and now we get in, but the rent seems a bit high for us.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:17 PM

3,160 posts, read 2,765,878 times
Yes, if they've overestimated your income, you should raise that with them. Risk: 60%s are a lot harder to get into than 130%s, so if they revise your income determination downwards, there may not be a unit for you. I guess it depends most on how low your log number is. But if you can't afford the 130% (and more than half your take-home doesn't sound good), then it hardly matters whether a 130% is available for you. As others have said, rent does not fluctuate based on income.

(And what Dr. Manhattan said--if they're just telling you 130%s are available but you don't have an income in the 130% range [in other words, if they didn't erroneously calculate your income] then you won't qualify once your docs are reviewed.)

If it's like the other EC buildings, gas will be included, but electricity (and thus a/c) will not be. There is no separate "maintenance" charge. There will presumably be an optional amenities fee. There will be a ~$25 fee for the smoke detector.

The building is now officially leasing to market-rate tenants:

https://www.boweryboogie.com/2020/08...-topping-3000/

Last edited by randomperson2; 08-13-2020 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 PM

3,160 posts, read 2,765,878 times
Your place in line is saved if you appeal.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:16 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,068,072 times
Do you guys think some of the apartments with the terrace can be for lottery winners?

Old 08-13-2020, 05:28 PM

67 posts, read 60,181 times
Box0301,
Must be an error, call and ask!
If you like to appeal you have to submit written explanations why you are not agree with decision and support with documents like tax returns, pay checks or any requested documents!
But you have to send an email or call to ask to whom to send an appeal!
I did appeal in the past but wan’t working for me!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery